Gout is a type of arthritis that affects different body parts but most commonly the hands and feet. It is caused due to the accumulation of uric acid crystals within the joints.
The underlying cause of gout is due to an imbalance in the system causing acidosis. Acute pain, intense tenderness, swelling and inflammation in the joints are some of the symptoms caused by gout.
Gout generally develops when you have too much uric acid in the body either due to the body is making too much or not getting rid of enough acid through urine. Then these crystals form in the fluid in and around the joints and thus lead to swelling and gout pain.
It is also caused due to genetics, lack of physical exercises, stress, more consumption of alcohol, excessive intake of proteins in your diet, etc. If it left untreated then it leads to many health problems.
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a common remedy for gout. The trick it does is that raises the pH of body fluids, alkalizes the blood and dilutes the uric acid in the urine to prevent gout attacks.
Don’t you believe it, here are some of the baking soda properties that make you to know how it counteracts the gout attacks on the body and relieves you from it.
- It raises the pH levels to alkalize your blood, increases the capacity of blood to hold the uric acid and prevents crystallization and thereby deposition in joints to relieve you from gout pain.
- It increases the blood and body fluids to make uric acid more soluble and get easier to flush out of the kidneys and restores the natural alkaline balance.
- It has anti-inflammatory property that soothes the pain and irritation caused on the joints due to gout attack on them.
- It lowers the uric acid levels and thereby the accumulation of uric acid crystals in the joints to minimize the pain and swelling associated with gout.
- Usage of baking soda not only removes uric acid but also prevents the formation of kidney stones by restoring the natural alkaline balance.
How to use Baking Soda for Gout:
The usage of baking soda is also an important issue, as we all know that misuse or excessive usage of any ingredient will result in side effects. So, here we are presenting you 2 excellent baking soda methods which are proved effective by most of the gout sufferers.
Method – 1: (Baking Soda Drink)
This process is best, effective and easy to prepare. It relieves gout joint pain almost instantly by reducing the high uric acid.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 glass of water.
- Stir well till baking soda completely dissolves in water.
- Drink it once immediately to get relief from gout.
- Repeat the same for 4 times a day like once in the morning, afternoon, evening and at night before bedtime to get rid of gout.
Note: You can take 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda if you’re having less gout pain.
Method – 2: (Lemon Juice with Baking Soda)
Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is essential for the excretion of uric acid. This process is an alkalizing drink in which lemon juice is acidic in nature and baking soda is alkaline content that creates a perfect balance between the pH levels to match the body’s natural pH and restore the balance.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in about 2 oz of fresh lemon juice.
- Stir well and allow it to fizz and bubble till it is completely flat for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Mix well by adding 8 oz of water and drink it immediately.
- Repeat the intake of this water regularly for 2 – 3 times daily.
Tips and Precautions:
- Consult your doctor before using baking soda for gout pain, as it might interact with certain medications and make your health worse, especially those who are suffering from heart, kidney liver, hypertension or appendicitis problems.
- Avoid excessive intake of baking soda why because it results in some potential side effects such as nausea, increase in blood pressure, slow breathing, nervousness, mood changes, headaches, loss of appetite, etc.
- Reduce your salt intake in other foods while using baking soda for treating gout. You know that 1 teaspoon of baking soda has around 1200 mg of sodium and if taken more means it definitely leads to serious side effects.
- Stress is another important aspect that raises the gout attacks. So, people who are suffering from gout should minimize their stress levels by practicing meditation and deep breathing.
- Diet also plays an important role in managing your gout. Limit the intake of foods high in purines (include seafood, meat, and poultry) to reduce the body’s production of uric acid. Include plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, foods rich in vitamin C and grains along with drinking more of water to flush uric acid out from the body.
It’s time to counteract the gout pain using baking soda to enjoy healthy joints. Hope this article helps you in reaching your goal to get rid of gout. Feel free to share your experience with us.
Leave a Reply