Feeling discomfort or pain in upper abdomen is known as upset stomach or Dyspepsia. In simple terms, we call it as indigestion. It is caused due to over production of stomach acid (produced to digest food) that comes into contact with mucosa (protective layer) of digestive system and break down the layer, which leads to irritation and pain giving rise to the upset stomach.
Bloating, nausea, burping, diarrhea, etc. are some of the symptoms faced while suffering from stomach upset. Overeating, constipation, peptic ulcers, intestinal blockage, stress, gastritis, etc. are some of the causes for indigestion.
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is one natural and excellent home remedy for treating the upset stomach. So what you think is baking soda a best remedy for an upset stomach or not? Hence, for you to believe, here we are providing some of its properties that make it as an effective cure for upset stomach.
- It treats all gastric problems by acting as an antacid and alkaline in nature that neutralizes the acid to maintain proper balance in your inner intestinal environment.
- It maintains the pH balance of body to ensure the proper working of digestive system.
- It also relieves you from pain, irritation and burning sensation caused due to stomach upset.
- It acts as cleaning agent that removes the toxic substances from the body (digestive tract) and thus helps for proper functioning.
- It breaks down the fats present in the food which you eat to get easy digestion and to neutralize the excess acid produced due to over or fast eating.
- When baking soda interacts with acids in the stomach, then it turns into salt and gas. The salt gets absorbed into the system and gas will go out while you burp and thus you’ll get best relief from the upset stomach and stomach acid.
Now you got a clear idea on how it works. Coming to its methods, there are many ways of using baking soda for upset stomach. But here we are explaining about 4 best and effective baking soda methods. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Baking Soda with Water)
Baking soda dissolved in water will neutralize the acidity and digest the food properly. It forms carbonation that reduces stomach gas and bloating in the stomach by promoting burping.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 glass of water.
- Stir it well till baking soda dissolves completely in water.
- Drink this solution for every 4 hours till you cleared the stomach upset and its symptoms like nausea, bloating and stomach acid.
Note: Use warm water instead of normal distilled water and also add few drops of fresh lemon juice before drinking in the above method.
Method – 2: (Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar soothes upset stomach quickly by improving digestion with the supply of beneficial bacteria in digestive tract. This combination reduces acidity and cures upset stomach.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/2 glass of water.
- Stir it well by adding 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- This mix will start bubbling and leave it till the bubbles are settled down completely.
- Then drink this solution to get rid of the problem.
- Repeat the same process, if you didn’t get any relief within 15 minutes after drinking this mix.
- If the mix is not bubbling up, then add some more vinegar and baking soda in the water till the bubbles occur.
- Also, add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 glass of water. Stir all these in a large pitcher, as it produces bubbles. Drink this immediately to prevent the problem.
Method – 3: (Baking Soda with Peppermint)
This combination helps for proper digestion and to ease the stomach acid to clear stomach problems.
Steps to be followed…
- Begin the process by crushing few peppermint leaves (or use 1 teaspoon of dry peppermint leaves).
- Then add the crushed leaves and 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice to 1/2 cup of water.
- Stir it well and add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Drink this immediately to get relief from the problem.
Note: Alternatively, prepare a decoction by boiling peppermint leaves in 1 cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of baking soda in it while it is still hot. Mix well and drink it by adding lemon juice to reduce the problem within 30 minutes after consuming.
Method – 4: (Baking Soda with Lemon Juice)
Lemon used for proper digestion and to keep your body stay hydrated. This combination releases stomach gas through carbonation and neutralizes the acid.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 2 – 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice in 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Mix it well and add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in it.
- Then the mix starts bubbling and drink it immediately even though bubbles are still forming.
- Continue drinking this solution for 2 – 3 times a day until you got complete cure from the problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- If you suffer from high blood pressure or in taking sodium restricted diet then its best to avoid using baking soda, as it raises the blood pressure with its salt or sodium rich content.
- Drinking baking soda doesn’t taste that great but it do the trick of clearing all the problems causing upset stomach and give you a complete and long lasting relief.
- Coming to recommended dosage, for adults, take 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of baking soda for every 3 – 4 hours and for children (only above 7 years), take 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for once or twice a day till the problem gets cleared.
- Make sure to consult your doctor before using baking soda as your antacid, especially if you’re pregnant, nursing women, suffering from congestive heart failure, gas, kidney problems, liver cirrhosis, etc. to know whether to use it or not as per your health problems.
- You have to follow healthy diet at regular and specific times, do some regular exercise, avoid fatty, oily, spicy and junk foods, don’t eat the meals in a hurry or fast, etc. will help to cure the problem along with its recurrence.
- Always check whether the baking soda is completely dissolved or not before consuming and for getting quick relief, use pure baking soda.
- Avoid taking baking soda with full stomach, as it causes an upset stomach rather than curing it.
This is all about Baking Soda for calming Upset Stomach. Follow these sure-fire methods to calm down you’re upset stomach. Give a trial and do share your experience with us.
Leave a Reply