Organic substance or mineral salt deposits in the form of solid masses in the kidneys are termed as kidney stones. These stones are crystallized acids that generally filtered through the kidney and pass away from urine.
In some case, the crystallization grows large enough that stuck in the ureter, unable to come out and leads to renal failure. Excessive intake of vitamin D, dehydration, urinary tract infection, mineral imbalance, unhealthy diet, stress, gout, etc. are some of the causes of kidney stones.
Severe pain and tenderness over affected kidney, nausea, blood in the urine, fever, frequent urination, back pain, etc. are some of the symptoms. Men are more prone to these kidney stones but don’t panic, as there are many natural ways to get rid of kidney stones rather than over the counter treatments or medications.
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is one such effective natural home remedy for treating the kidney stones that dissolve and pass these stones without any pain. It helps to boost up the overall health by balancing the pH levels. Here are the reasons that explain you, how it works for removal of kidney stones.
- It alkalizes your urine to dissolve the calcium oxalate or uric acid stones that stuck in the narrow renal tubes, which connects kidneys with the bladder. So, regularly intake of baking soda reduces the uric acid and cystine in the urine to prevent kidney stones.
- We all know that kidneys are sensitive to delicate balance of ionic constituents and urine acidity. If your urine is too acidic then also the kidney stones are formed but baking soda helps to restore the normal pH balance for the healthy functioning of the kidneys to prevent stones formation in it.
- In certain times, kidneys will produce the sodium bicarbonate to protect themselves during digestion of foods what you eat. So, intake of baking soda will definitely cure your problem.
How to use Baking Soda for Kidney Stones:
Here we are providing you with the best baking soda methods that effectively used to clear those painful kidney stones and also prevent its recurrence in future. All you have to do is to follow them regularly.
Method – 1: (Baking Soda with Lukewarm Water)
Baking soda lowers the acidity levels in urine to dissolve the stones to a size of coarse sand and pass it away.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda in 10 oz of lukewarm water.
- Stir well and drink it immediately to get relief.
- Continue drinking this water for 2 – 3 times daily until you find relief from kidney stones.
- Or simply add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 glass of distilled water and drink it for every 3 hours until you get relief from the kidney stones (especially for those who have uric acid kidney stones).
- Or else, take 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda followed with water in the evening or at night before bed time to reduce the acidic levels in your urine and thus to get rid of the kidney stones.
Method – 2: (Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar)
Baking soda alkalizes the system to remove acidic nature and apple cider vinegar cleanses the internal system and flush out the toxins or stones from the kidneys. This method helps to cure kidney stones and also prevents the formation of new ones.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda in 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar.
- Stir well in a glass of water till the fizz disappears.
- Drink it to get rid of the kidney stones.
- Repeat it for 2 – 3 times daily to get complete relief from the kidney stones.
Note: Alternatively, mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 oz of apple cider vinegar and some raw honey in 1 large mug which is filled with warm water. Stir well and drink it slowly within 30 minutes to get relief from the pain caused by kidney stones along with the removal of those stones.
Baking Soda Dose for Removing Kidney Stones:
For people (above 5 – 60 years), they should take 1 – 2 teaspoons of baking soda for 3 – 4 times per day, i.e. 2400 milligrams per day. Remember that it should not be given to the kids below 5 years, as it results in some serious side effects on their health.
Tips and Precautions:
- Baking soda is high in sodium content, so it is not safe to take in high doses and also not to be used for longer time, especially those who are in sodium – restricted diet or having high blood pressure.
- Pregnant or nursing women and children will have to consult their doctor before using baking soda for kidney stones.
- Never ever drink or take baking soda on full stomach till it gets digested. Also limit the intake of sodium bicarbonate, as it raises the urinary calcium and when it gets combined with excess oxalate, then it results in kidney stones.
- You can take baking soda in supplement forms like in tablets or pills or powder or orally or intravenously under medical supervision to reduce the risk of kidney stones.
That’s all for now about Baking Soda for Kidney Stones, stop bearing the pain silently and start using baking soda for clearing your kidney stones. But feel free to share your experience with us.
I have a problem of kidney and I take 1tsp of baking soda with luke warm water every morning and I am also diabetic is it good for me
It’s best to consult your doctor to know all about your health before trying baking soda, as you said suffering from kidney problem but not particularly kidney stones.