Dandruff is a common scalp problem faced by most of the people at least once in their lifetime. It is mostly caused due to one’s negligence towards their hair or health care due to busy schedules. Shedding of dead cells from the scalp as flakes and having itching, irritation and scratching on the scalp can result from this dandruff.
However, it is an embarrassing problem but you can easily treat and get control over it with some best natural home remedies rather than using anti-dandruff and other cosmetic products which cause side effects in a long run.
Baking soda is one such excellent remedy that used effectively for treating dandruff and other scalp problems. Here are some baking soda properties that make you to know how it works for treating dandruff.
- It has an amazing exfoliating property that exfoliates the scalp to get rid of excess dead skin cells.
- It acts as a fungicide that fights against the yeast like fungus causing dandruff on the scalp.
- It has tiny particles that effectively remove the loose flakes which are stuck in the hair to clear dandruff flakes on the scalp. It also clears dirt and other dead cells on the scalp.
- It acts as a natural conditioner that absorbs excess oil from the scalp and thus balances the oil or moisture levels on the scalp to prevent dandruff and its recurrence in future.
- It is alkaline in nature and helps to bring the pH balance of the scalp to make it healthy and infection free.
Baking soda can be used in many ways but here we are providing you with the best methods. Let’s discover these 3 best baking soda methods for clearing dandruff.
Method – 1: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda alone can treat dandruff without any side effects.
Steps to be followed…
- Rinse your hair with warm water.
- Add 1 – 3 tablespoon of baking soda in 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Stir it well and apply it on the damp scalp.
- Massage it gently to cover all over the scalp.
- This process helps to restore the natural oils soon on the scalp and thus maintain proper pH balance on the scalp.
- Leave it on for few minutes and rinse the hair with water (without using shampoo).
- Dry your hair and repeat the same process regularly to get rid of dandruff.
- Alternatively, mix 2 – 3 tablespoons of baking soda in 1 cup of lukewarm water. Stir well with no lumps and repeat the same as above.
- Or add some baking soda to your regular shampoo and use it to rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Also, add few drops of essential oils (like rosemary oil, tea tree oil) or rosewater in this baking soda paste and use it to wash your hair.
- Just add few drops of apple cider vinegar in 1 mug of water and use this mix to rinse your hair after applying baking soda to get rid of the problem.
- Or prepare baking soda spray by mixing 1 part of baking soda in 3 parts of water and stir well to pour this mix it in an empty spray bottle. Spray this mix on the scalp by shaking it well before using. Massage gently and rinse it off with lukewarm water after 5 – 10 minutes.
Method – 2: (Baking Soda with Lemon Juice)
This combination is not only used to remove dandruff but also removes the excess oil, dead cells from scalp and hair by giving it an excellent shine.
Steps to be followed…
- Add freshly extracted lemon juice in enough of baking soda.
- Stir well to make it a fine paste and apply this paste on all over the scalp.
- Massage it gently and let it sit for few minutes till your scalp feel itchy.
- Wash it off with water and use apple cider vinegar as a conditioner.
- Continue doing the same process for 2 – 3 times a week on regular basis.
Note: Use mint juice or holy basil juice or ginger juice and water instead of lemon juice in this process.
Method – 3: (Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar)
This combination is very effective in treating dandruff and other scalp problems. it balances the pH levels to prevent the infections on the scalp.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix baking soda and raw apple cider vinegar in a bowl till it forms a fine paste.
- Apply this mix on the scalp and massage it gently as a scrub to remove dandruff.
- Let it sit for few minutes and wash your hair with cool water.
- Do the same for twice a week to diminish dandruff on the scalp.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid applying shampoo to your hair when using baking soda scrub.
- Regularly use baking soda on the scalp whenever you’re experiencing a dandruff flare – up. Or replace your shampoo with baking soda scrub to get relief from dandruff.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly after using baking soda to remove the leftover traces on the scalp. Also, avoid baking soda on scalp for a longer time as it dries the scalp and thus reverse the problem.
- While using lemon or apple cider vinegar with baking soda, you should be careful that not to apply this mix on any open wounds on the scalp, as it causes skin irritation.
Stop worrying about the falling flakes of dandruff. Use baking soda as a powerful weapon to clear it on your scalp. But remember to share your winning experience with us.