Canker sores (or aphthous ulcers) are small shallow lesions that appear in red color with white or yellow centers. They develop inside the mouth, at the base of gums, cheeks, throat, and tongue.
These sores are not contagious but cause a lot of pain, stress and make you feel difficult while eating or talking. Poor diet, low immune system, stress, hormonal imbalances, food allergies or sensitivities, usage of toothpaste or mouth rinses having sodium lauryl sulfate, accidental cheek bite, certain health problems, etc. will cause these canker or mouth sores.
Most of these sores can go away on their own within a time period of 1 – 2 weeks, if not then you should consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
Although there are many natural remedies for treating this canker sore, here we are explaining about an amazing natural ingredient called Baking Soda.
Baking Soda for Canker Sores:
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is an effective natural remedy for treating many skin, beauty and health problems with its properties like antacid, neutralizer, exfoliator, cavities remover, etc.
So, have a look at how to use baking soda for canker sores relief.
Is Baking Soda Heals Canker Sores?
- Baking soda exhibits antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that kill the helicobacter pylori (bacteria) causing these sores and peptic ulcers and also clear all the germs, which are causing infection in the mouth.
- It acts as an alkalizing agent that neutralizes the acid – alkaline level in the mouth and clears the infection. It also reduces the ability of bacteria to get into the salivary glands and cause infection.
- It acts as a protective layer on the applied areas and protects it from external irritants.
- The anti-inflammatory property of baking soda will help you a lot in reducing the pain, inflammation, and swelling.
- It balances your mouth’s pH levels and thereby freshen your breath and reduce the pain.
How Baking Soda Cures Canker Sores:
Here are some effective ways of using baking soda for healing canker sores. Try these baking soda methods and get relief from canker sores.
Method – 1: (Baking Soda)
The inside area of the mouth is sensitive and the direct usage of baking soda will cause some burning sensation or irritation.
So, test it before using undiluted baking soda directly on the canker sore affected area. But this application will help to neutralize the acid reaction and thereby eases your pain.
- Apply some baking soda directly on the canker sore either with your clean finger or a cotton swab.
- Leave it on for few minutes until you bear the sensation and then wash the mouth thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this baking soda application regularly to remove the bacteria and to heal the sores.
Method – 2: (Baking Soda with Water)
This is one best way of using baking soda for treating your canker sores on the gums, throat, lips, inside the mouth and tongue. This water mixed baking soda give relief from pain by acting as a protective layer on the mouth.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of water in 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Stir well to make a fine paste and apply it on the sore affected areas of the mouth.
- Wait for few minutes to get dry and wash it with lukewarm water.
- Make sure to perform a gargle function to clear the bacteria and other germs or reduce the acid attack on the mouth causing these canker sores.
- Continue this baking soda application for once daily until you get complete relief from the canker sores.
Method – 3: (Baking Soda Mouth Wash)
Usage of harsh chemical based mouth washes will even more damage the sores and leave you with burning sensation. So, use baking soda as your mouth rinse to clear the bacteria causing sores and also soothes your pain.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/2 cup of warm water and stir well till the baking soda is dissolved completely in water.
- Now use this baking soda water to rinse the mouth and gargle.
- Never ever swallow this mix; you should spit it out to clear the impurities or bacteria causing sores.
- Do this mouth wash for once daily till you cleared these sores inside the mouth.
Note: Or stir 2 – 3 drops of peppermint oil and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in 2 ounces of water. Use this solution as your mouthwash to rinse your mouth. Do it once daily.
Method – 4: (Baking Soda with Hydrogen Peroxide and Salt)
Hydrogen peroxide treats canker sores with its strong disinfectant, antibacterial and antiseptic properties that clear the infection causing microbes and relieves your pain. Salt is an excellent remedy for clearing the fluids from the sores and thereby speed up the healing process.
- Stir small amounts of hydrogen peroxide (3%), baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- Use this solution to rinse your mouth.
- Repeat the same process for 4 – 5 times daily till you get relief from the canker sores.
- Or mix 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and salt in enough water. Stir well and apply it on the canker sores. Rinse off with water after few minutes. Or mix this baking soda and salt in 3/4 cup of water and use it as a mouth wash. Do it once daily for few days.
- Also, mix 2 teaspoons of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of salt and few drops of liquid Benadryl in 1 cup of warm water. Stir and use it to swish all around the mouth for few minutes and spit out. Don’t swallow it and repeat the same regularly.
Method – 5: (Baking Soda with Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera exhibits antibacterial, antiseptic and skin soothing properties that help you a lot in easing the pain and this combination will heal the problem and speed up the recovery time.
- First of all, rinse your mouth thoroughly with aloe vera juice (prefer fresh juice).
- Then place a small amount of baking soda directly on the sore.
- Wait for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Continue the same process regularly till you get complete relief from the problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- Baking soda will sting a bit, so you should be very careful while applying and also apply it only on the sore affected areas of the mouth.
- Rinsing your mouth with baking soda water after each meal and before bedtime will help to clear the bacteria and reduce the frequency of canker sores occurrence.
- You can sprinkle some baking soda on your toothbrush and use it to brush your teeth.
- The rich content of sodium levels in baking soda may result in some health problems, so limit the quantity of baking soda and rinse the mouth thoroughly with water after every usage.
- Take your dentist or doctor appointment immediately, if you find anything wrong or causing more pain or breakouts.
- Check with your doctor if you’re suffering from blood pressure or on diet control or restricted sodium intake before using baking soda for canker sores.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet to strengthen your immune system and thereby to get relief from these health problems.
- Get enough rest and exercise regularly along with performing yoga and meditation to get relief from stress and thereby many health, skin and hair problems, including this canker sores.
- Practice some oral care like brushing your teeth with soft bristled toothbrush for twice daily, floss it once daily and consult your dentist for every 6 months to get relief from the dental problems.
These baking soda methods will definitely help you in treating the canker sores. Try this baking soda to get complete relief from canker sores and share your experience with us.
Leave a Reply