Are you suffering from bad breath? Is it making you unable to speak confidently?
Bad breath (or Halitosis) is an embarrassing oral problem that causes the foul odor emanating from the mouth.
It is caused due to many reasons like dry mouth, gum diseases, a build-up of bacteria in the mouth, eating odorous foods, certain medical problems, sinusitis and upper respiratory problems, smoking, stress or improper oral care.
People suffering from bad breath may experience certain symptoms like gum bleeding, poor dental hygiene, dry mouth, metallic taste, thick saliva, respiratory problems and other dental problems.
Bad breath is not a disease, we can overcome this problem by following the simple oral care and some natural remedies.
Home Remedies for Bad Breath:
Here are some best natural remedies to treat bad breath. Let’s get started to know those effective remedies that keep your breath fresh.
Remedy – 1: (Fennel)
Fennel has antimicrobial properties that clear the bacteria causing a foul smell in the mouth. It aids in proper digestion, stimulates the production of saliva and provides fresh aromatic smell to clear bad breath.
- Mix 1 – 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds in 1 cup of hot water.
- Steep it for 5 – 10 minutes and strain the tea.
- Drink this fennel tea for twice daily till you get complete relief from bad breath.
- Or simply chew 1 tablespoon of fennel to freshen your breath.
- Also, mix few fennel seeds with other aromatic spices like cloves, cardamom, etc. to get rid of the problem.
- You can prepare clove tea (or consume cloves) or fenugreek tea in the same way as fennel tea. Drink it daily or use it as your mouthwash.
Remedy – 2: (Cinnamon)
Cinnamic aldehyde is an organic compound in cinnamon that helps a lot in freshening your breath to clear halitosis.
Read to know more about How Cinnamon fights Bad Breath.
Remedy – 3: (Lemon Juice)
Lemon has rich content of acidic and citric nature that helps to fight against the growth of bacteria on the tongue.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of salt in 1 cup of water.
- Stir well and use it to rinse the mouth thoroughly at night before bed time.
- Do it regularly to get complete relief from dry mouth.
Remedy – 4: (Parsley)
Parsley contains chlorophyll, which exhibits an antibacterial property that clears the germs causing foul smell and also stimulates the flow of saliva.
Here are some ways of using parsley for bad breath.
- Chew a fresh sprig of parsley to refresh your breath by clearing halitosis.
- Dip a handful of fresh parsley leaves in enough vinegar and chew them thoroughly for a couple of minutes.
- Blend few fresh parsley leaves in a juicer and then sip this juice to get instant mouth freshness.
- Pour few sprigs of chopped parsley in 2 cups of boiling water and add few whole cloves in it. Stir well and let it cool for few minutes. Strain it and use this mix as your mouthwash to gargle it after each meal.
Remedy – 5: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda neutralizes the pH levels of the mouth and removes odor-causing bacteria, stains or plaque on teeth to prevent halitosis.
Read to know more about How Baking Soda treats Bad Breath.
Remedy – 6: (Diet Plan)
You can follow this diet plan whenever you suffer from bad breath.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids (clear soups, herbal teas, smoothies) throughout the day to get rid of dehydration, dry mouth, and finally to keep your breath fresh.
- Always consume high fiber rich foods and raw crunchy foods like carrots, apples, and celery, which help to scrape the plaque buildups, develops bacteria fighting saliva production and enhance the immune system.
- Avoid consuming processed or oily or refined carbohydrates like cakes, cookies, fries, etc.
- Intake of probiotics will help to balance the oral cavity and thereby prevents the growth of odor – causing bacteria to prevent halitosis. Include oral probiotics like S. salivarius K12 and M18. There are the many best probiotic-rich foods to be included in your diet.
- Chew some sugar-free gums, mints or lozenges regularly to stimulate salivary flow and thereby clears halitosis and other oral problems.
- Drink 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar mixed in 1 glass of lukewarm water before eating your meals to clear this bad breath.
Remedy – 7: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil exhibits antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that disinfectant your mouth to clear the halitosis causing germs.
- Pour few drops of tea tree oil on your toothbrush along with your regularly used toothpaste.
- Use it to brush your teeth to get rid of bacteria or plaque on the teeth causing bad breath.
- Or simply brush your teeth with toothpaste having tea tree oil.
- Also, prepare a mouthwash by mixing few drops of peppermint oil, lemon oil and tea tree oil in 1 glass of water. Use it regularly to get complete relief from bad breath.
You can also go through DIY Mouthwashes to prevent Bad Breath.
Tips and Precautions:
- Tooth brushing, tongue scraping and flossing daily will help you to get control over bad breath.
- For best results, swish water all around the mouth for few seconds to clear the food particles that stuck between the teeth and clean the mouth (especially after consuming dairy products, meat or fish).
- Avoid the usage of products (like mouthwash) that has sodium lauryl sulfate or alcohol, as it makes the mouth dry and worse the problem.
- Quit smoking and the usage of other tobacco products, as smoking causes dry mouth. If they engage in other habits like drinking alcohol or suffering from chronic liver problems, anxiety then it results in bad breath.
- Try to close you sleeping issues and breathe through your nose rather than mouth while sleeping, as it causes dry mouth and thereby results in bad breath.
- It’s must to clean your dentures daily along with removing it at night before sleeping.
- Try some stress relieving activities like yoga, meditation, deep breathing, etc. to get rid of stress and thereby other health problems.
- Certain medications can cause dryness and thereby results in dehydration and dry mouth. So, consult your doctor if you suffer from this problem.
- Always check the food before consuming to know whether it causes any bad breath or not. Avoid consuming onions, garlic, meat, fish, eggs, sugary foods, etc.
So, stop worrying whenever you suffer from bad breath and start using these natural remedies for clearing the problem. Do you know any other successful remedies for bad breath? Then share it with us in the below comments box.