Bacteria will play a major role in the proper functioning of many parts of the body like digestive tract or vaginal area. Surprising? But it’s true. We all are aware there are good bacteria and bad bacteria present in our body and any imbalance in their levels will result in infections.
Vaginitis is defined as the inflammation of the vagina area. It causes pain, itching or burning sensation or even discharges. In general, there are 4 common types of vaginitis – bacterial vaginosis, yeast infections, trichomoniasis and vaginal atrophy.
So, bacterial vaginosis is a common type of vaginal infection that caused when the balance between the lactobacilli (good bacteria) and anaerobes (bad bacteria) gets disturbed. The most common cases are when there is an overgrowth of bad bacteria that throws the vaginal environment out of balance.
Do you know that 1 in every 5 women are experiencing this type of infection by the time they reached mid-forties. As per NHANES, it is estimated that 21.2 million women (between 15 – 49 years old) in the US are tested positive for this bacterial vaginosis infection.
Women (Sexually active or not) are more prone to this infection rather than men. It affects women reproductive system, especially who have an active sex life, weak immune system, pregnant, etc. Common symptoms of bacterial vaginosis include excessive vaginal discharge, itching, burning sensation, pain during urination, fishy odor, etc.
However there is no specific reason what causes the bacteria to get out of balance but certain factors like a new sex partner, excessive douching, excessive smoking, having sex with multiple partners, changes in pH balance of the vagina, Gardnerella vaginalis (spore that reproduce inside the vagina and change the normal pH balance), oral contraceptives, excessive usage of soaps or laundry detergents with perfumes or dyes, pain during/after sex, etc.
Bacterial vaginosis is not a serious health problem and often goes away on its own. But always try to treat the problem as soon as you find out its symptoms by consulting your doctor. There are some simple yet effective home remedies that help you in dealing with this annoying problem.
Home Remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis:
Instead of using antibiotics and other prescription medications, just give a trial to the natural remedies along with consuming a healthy diet to get rid of this bacterial vaginosis and its symptoms. Regular follow up of these remedies will cure the problem and prevent its recurrence as well.
Remedy – 1: (Yogurt)
Yogurt – a natural source of probiotic that provides you with a plenty of healthy bacteria (lactobacillus) and thereby establish a balanced vaginal environment. It fights off bad bacteria and helps for a healthy functioning of the vaginal area.
Here are a few ways of using yogurt for bacterial vaginosis.
- Take plain yogurt in a small bowl and dip a cotton pad in it. Take out and apply the pad to the affected area. Let it sit for about 30 minutes and rinse the area thoroughly with fresh water. Continue doing the same process for thrice daily until you get relief from the bacterial vaginosis and its symptoms.
- Simply consume 2 cups of plain yogurt daily, which help to restore the pH balance of your vagina and thereby reduces the growth of bad bacteria.
- Take a tampon and dip it in yogurt. Place it in the vagina and leave for 1 – 2 hours. Take out the tampon and repeat the same process twice daily until you get cure from bacterial vaginosis (BV).
Note: Also, take probiotic-rich foods or its supplements daily to prevent bacterial vaginosis.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Being acidic in nature, apple cider vinegar (ACV) acts as an excellent remedy for treating bacterial vaginosis. It increases the vaginal acidity and balances your pH levels to create a hostile environment for bad bacteria to survive and makes good bacteria to thrive into the system.
- Mix 1 – 2 cups of apple cider vinegar to your bathtub filled with lukewarm water.
- Stir and sit in this bath water for 15 – 20 minutes.
- After that, dry the vaginal area gently using a soft towel.
- Do the same process for once daily until your condition improves.
- Or mix 2 tablespoons of ACV in warm water and use it to cleanse your vagina for twice daily for a couple of days.
- Or consume ACV by mixing 1 – 2 tablespoons of raw ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 glass of lukewarm water. Drink it twice daily to enhance your immunity and to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 3: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil is enriched with natural antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help you in dealing with this bacterial vaginosis. It kills the germs and eliminates the odor of the vagina.
Here are a few ways of using tea tree oil for vaginosis.
- Pour a few drops of tea tree oil in a small bowl filled with warm water. Stir well and use it to wash the vagina thoroughly. Dry it naturally and continue this process once daily for 3 – 4 weeks.
- Stir 3 drops of tea tree oil and 3 cups of white vinegar to your bathtub filled with lukewarm water. Soak in this water for about 30 minutes and dry the skin gently. Repeat it every other day for 1 – 2 months to get rid of the problem.
- Dilute 5 – 10 drops of tea tree oil in 1 ounce of carrier oil and apply it on the affected skin area. Massage gently for few minutes and leave it for another few minutes. Rinse the area and continue its use regularly.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil in coconut oil and soak a tampon in it. Now insert the tampon into the vagina and remove it after 1 hour. Repeat it regularly.
- Or simply use tea tree oil vaginal suppositories to get relief from the problem.
Note: Pregnant women or people who are allergic to tea tree oil should avoid using tea tree oil to cure bacterial vaginosis.
Remedy – 4: (Garlic)
The antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of garlic will help to clear the growth of bad bacteria and also enhance your immune system to cure the problem.
Have a look at how to use garlic for curing bacterial vaginosis.
- Take 3 – 5 garlic cloves and crush them. Smear this crushed garlic on the affected area and wait for 20 minutes to rinse it off with lukewarm water. For best relief, repeat this application once daily.
- Take a garlic clove and wrap it in gauze. Place it in the vagina and let it sit for about 25 – 30 minutes. Follow it once daily till you get relief from the problem.
- Consume garlic in either raw or cooked form daily. If you’re unable to tolerate this garlic taste then choose garlic supplements after consulting your doctor.
- Mix a few drops of garlic oil in 1/2 teaspoon of coconut and vitamin E oil. Stir well and apply it directly on the affected area. Rinse off after a few minutes and apply it daily for best results.
Remedy – 5: (Fenugreek)
Fenugreek helps to improve the pH levels in the vagina and also boosts your immune system naturally to speed up the healing process. It stabilizes the menstrual cycle and helps to maintain a balanced level of hormone to get rid of the bacterial infection in the vagina.
Have a look at how to use fenugreek seeds for curing bacterial vaginosis.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in 1 glass of water overnight. In the next morning, strain the water to remove seeds and drink fenugreek water on an empty stomach. Do it once daily till you notice an improvement in your condition.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of hot water and steep for 5 – 7 minutes. Strain it and add a little honey to it. Stir well and consume this fenugreek tea for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Stir 1 teaspoon of fenugreek powder in 1 cup of yogurt and consume it twice daily till the symptoms subside.
Remedy – 6: (Coconut Oil)
The natural antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil will help to kill the germs causing BV. It has all essential nutrients that help to boost up the immune system and prevent its recurrence.
Here are the best ways of using coconut oil for treating bacterial vaginosis.
- Daily application of organic virgin coconut oil on the affected areas for 3 – 4 times daily will help you to get rid of infection quickly.
- Soak a tampon in coconut oil and insert it into your vagina. Let it sit for a couple of hours and remove the tampon. Rinse the area with lukewarm water thoroughly and repeat the same once daily.
- Regularly use coconut oil in your cooking to boost the immune system and thereby to speed up the healing process.
Remedy – 7: (Indian Lilac)
Indian lilac (or neem) acts as a natural antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial that help to kill the germs causing bacterial vaginosis naturally along with easing the pain, itching, and inflammation.
- Take a handful of neem leaves and heat it in a pan without adding water or any other liquids.
- Let the leaves cool down for few minutes and grind them to a fine powder.
- Now stir 2 teaspoons of this powder with enough water to make a fine paste.
- Spread this paste in and around the vagina and leave for 30 minutes.
- Finally, rinse the area with lukewarm water and repeat it twice daily till the symptoms gone completely.
Remedy – 8: (Oregano Oil)
Oregano exhibits the antifungal property that helps to alleviate the itching and inflammation along with improving the immunity to fight against these bacterial infections and prevent its recurrence. Make sure to use oregano oil that doesn’t have alcohol.
Here are a few ways of using oregano oil for treating bacterial vaginosis.
- Stir 3 drops of oregano oil in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread this mix on the affected area. Massage gently and rinse the area thoroughly after 2 hours. Repeat it once daily till you get complete relief from the problem.
- Pour 3 drops of oregano oil in 1 glass of lukewarm water and stir well. Drink this water to get relief from the infection. For best results, drink it twice daily for 1 – 2 months.
- Consume 500 mg of oregano oil for twice daily.
Other Effective Remedies:
- Using hydrogen peroxide will help to disinfect and control the growth of harmful bacteria along with easing symptoms like pain, itching, and inflammation. Mix hydrogen peroxide and water in equal quantities and use it to cleanse the vagina. Wait for 10 minutes and cleanse again with cold water. Do it once or twice daily for a couple of days.
- Boric acid has antibacterial, antiseptic and antifungal properties that relieve you from the discomforts like itching, irritation, pain, and swelling. It also helps in balancing your pH levels. Simply place a boric acid capsule inside the vagina at night before sleeping. In the morning, cleanse the vagina with warm water. Perform this action for 1 – 2 times a week. Don’t eat this acid and avoid if you’re pregnant.
Tips and Precautions:
- Milk has lactobacilli bacteria that stabilizes the balance between good and bad bacteria and also strengthen your immune system. Place a tampon in chilled milk and insert it in the vagina. Wait for 1 – 2 hours and remove it. Continue this for once daily to relieve your bacterial vaginosis and symptoms.
- The tannins present in tea will exhibit astringent and antibiotic properties that soothe the burning sensation and reduce irritation, itching, and swelling. Apply a chilled used tea bag on the affected area for few minutes and repeat it till the infection gets cleared completely.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t find any relief from the bacterial vaginosis or its symptoms within 10 days, for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Applying cold compress on the affected area will help to numb the area and relieves you of discomforts, pain, itching, and inflammation.
- Wear breathable cotton underwear to prevent getting the infection worse. Or else the moisture causes a breeding ground for bacteria and also avoid wearing tight pants.
- Most women believe that douching will clean the area but it disrupts the natural bacterial balance in the vagina and thus increases the risk of getting infections. The vagina is self-cleaning and douching will disturb its functioning. So, avoid over douching the area.
- Have a safe sex with a single partner and also use condoms to reduce the risk of bacterial vaginosis.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy well-balanced diet (vitamins A, C & E, iron, zinc, and selenium) to strengthen your immune system and to get rid of these infections.
- Practice good hygiene like wipe the area after using the bathroom (wiping away from vagina towards rectum), changing the tampon or pad several times daily during the period, cleaning your sex toys with hot water and soap, etc. will help to resolve the risk of getting bacterial vaginosis.
- Usage of other natural remedies like chamomile, consuming turmeric milk, intake of cranberry juice, Echinacea, vegetable juices (parsley, ginger, green vegetables, garlic, etc.), consume immune boosting foods (like strawberry, orange, sweet potato, broccoli, apple, carrot, cayenne pepper or mushrooms), etc. will help to clear this infection.
- Take sunbath regularly in every morning in order to get a sufficient amount of vitamin D.
- Get enough sleep (& rest) daily and exercise regularly for at least 30 minutes per day to reduce your stress levels and to activate your enzymes for a proper functioning of the body.
All these natural remedies will provide you relief from the bacterial vaginosis. You can control the bacterial vaginosis and its symptoms with these home remedies. Do you know any other successful remedies for bacterial vaginosis? Then share it with us in the below comments box.