The irritated skin, redness along with the pain will come to our mind whenever we think of acne. We all know that acne occurs mostly to the teenagers and young adults, but do you know that even babies will suffer from acne?
Baby Acne (Neonatal acne) will affect newborn babies, especially infants around 1 month old. The parents get panic while seeing their baby suffering from acne issues. Although, it is not a serious skin problem and can subside in due course.
Do you know that around 20% of infants are affected by baby acne and thereby results in tiny, red and white bumps on the skin? It occurs mainly on the face area (on the forehead, nose & cheeks) but not on the chest, arms or legs (not like adult acne). Baby acne is more common in boys rather than girl baby.
Causes of Baby Acne:
Although the exact cause of this baby acne is unknown but hormonal stimulation of the oil glands, which are received from the mother through the placenta, is one of the main causes of acne in the babies.
It can also be caused due to inflammatory or immune system response in babies or allergic reactions, baby being breastfed or formula fed, etc. Never ever think that baby who is suffering from acne is unhealthy, it is a temporary skin problem that not last for more than 2 weeks.
However, there are many cosmetic creams or lotions available in the market to treat baby acne but the usage of natural remedies will be more effective and won’t cause any harm to those sensitive and delicate skin.
Home Remedies to Treat Baby Acne:
Don’t worry, as the Mother Nature has gifted so many natural ingredients that help to treat various skin and health problems, including baby acne. Here, in this article, we will discuss some natural home remedies that widely used to treat baby acne effectively.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil is one of the most trusted by mothers as a safe natural oil to apply it on their baby skin. It is easily absorbed into the skin and exhibit excellent moisturizing and nourishing properties.
It has antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat acne in your baby. It reduces redness, pain, and irritation on the baby’s skin.
- Clean the acne affected skin areas of the baby by using a mild soap and lukewarm water.
- Dry the skin gently and apply a thin layer of melted coconut oil on the acne affected skin area.
- Massage gently for few minutes and leave it for few hours to overnight.
- Continue doing the same process for twice daily until you get rid of your baby acne.
Read More on How to use Coconut Oil for Diaper Rash.
Remedy – 2: (Breast Milk)
Breast milk is not only used to build immunity but also exhibits many health benefits. The lauric acid in breast milk exhibit anti-bacterial and acne fighting properties that help to fight against the acne-causing bacteria.
It also has glyconutrients and omega – 3 fatty acids that help to exfoliate the skin gently and clears baby acne effectively.
- First of all, clean the acne affected baby skin with mild soap and warm water.
- Dry the area gently and apply some breast milk on the affected areas by using a cotton ball.
- Leave it to dry naturally and wipe off the applied skin with a warm towel.
- Continue this process for several times daily until you get complete relief from acne.
Note: Also, remember that this breast milk may trigger for the formation of baby acne. So, avoid over application on the baby’s skin.
Remedy – 3: (Cornstarch)
We all are well aware that cornstarch has natural drying properties and also effective in controlling the excess oil production on the skin. So, it is gentle on the skin which makes you use it for treating baby acne.
- Add enough water in a small amount of cornstarch and stir well to make a fine paste.
- Apply it as a thin layer on the clean skin where your baby suffering from acne by using your clean fingers.
- Let it sit for about 45 minutes and rinse the area with warm water.
- Dry the skin gently with a soft towel and repeat the same process for once daily until the acne goes away on its own.
Note: If you find your baby skin is getting too dry after application of cornstarch then apply a light moisturizer to prevent dryness or skin tightness.
Remedy – 4: (Honey and Lemon)
This is another effective combination that widely used to treat various skin and health problems, including baby acne. They have antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that cure baby acne in a safe and effective manner.
- Mix equal quantities (1 teaspoon) of fresh lemon juice and raw honey in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply it on the acne affected areas by using a cotton swab.
- Allow the mix to sit on the skin for about 30 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
- Pat dry the skin and continue its application regularly for 3 – 4 times a week.
Remedy – 5: (Oatmeal)
Oatmeal has an ability to soothe the irritated skin with its excellent moisturizing and skin soothing properties. However, use oatmeal with caution for treating pimples on the baby’s face why because it causes irritation if gets contact with the eyes.
You can use oatmeal to treat your baby skin problems like allergic rashes, skin rashes and diaper rashes for getting an effective relief.
- Pour 1/3 cup of oatmeal in a blender and blend it until you get a fine powder.
- Sprinkle this oatmeal powder in the bathtub filled with lukewarm water.
- Swirl around the water with your clean hands to dissolve the oatmeal powder.
- Then place your baby in this bathtub and enjoy the bath time for at least 10 minutes.
- No need to rinse your baby body after this bath and you can simply dry their skin with a soft towel.
Note: Make sure that oatmeal powder make the bathtub slippery, so secure your baby while taking this bath.
Remedy – 6: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) acts as a good absorbent for the oil and exhibits antibacterial properties that help to clear the microbial action on the skin. Remember that never ever use an undiluted form of ACV on baby’s skin.
- Mix 1 part of vinegar with 10 parts of water and stir well.
- Slowly dab this mix on the affected baby area by using a clean cotton ball.
- Leave it for a couple of minutes and rinse with mild soap and warm water.
- Apply moisturizer to prevent the dryness or irritation caused by using vinegar on your baby’s skin.
Remedy – 7: (Baby Powder)
Baby powder can also be used to treat diaper rash and baby acne with its ability to dry out the skin without clogging the pores. But always check out for the drying ingredient which can either be cornstarch or talcum powder.
- Clean and dry the affected skin areas of your baby where they suffer from acne.
- Then sprinkle small amounts of baby powder into the palm of your clean hands.
- Now apply it on the affected skin area gently by using your fingertips.
- Leave it like that and continue this baby powder application every time you give a bath to your baby to keep them fresh and acne rashes free.
Note: Inhaling this powder will be potentially harmful to the lungs. So, be cautious while applying this powder to your babies.
Tips and Precautions:
- Baby acne is different from adult acne, which is caused by oily skin or lack of hygiene or food habits. So, avoid using the remedies that used to treat adult acne.
- Make sure to consult your pediatrician if you’re baby is suffering from rash along with certain symptoms like fever, lethargy, poor feeding, cough or fussiness for proper diagnose and treatment.
- The recurrence will be stopped once when the mother’s hormones stop circulating in the baby’s bloodstream.
- Make sure that baby should not get exposed to harsh chemicals that are used in cleansers or lotions or creams which are too harsh for the acne affected skin.
- Rinse your baby clothes, toys, bedding, and other which came into contact with baby’s skin should be cleaned regularly to prevent the accumulation of saliva dead skin cells, oil and dirt which clogs the baby’s skin pores and thereby worsens the baby acne even worse.
- Wash and rinse the new clothing and towel before using them on your baby (even for adults also). This will ensure that there is no bacteria transmission on the baby’s skin.
- Limit the contact with the affected areas and also reduce the irritants you expose your baby that causing acne. Cover the baby’s hand to prevent rubbing or scratching at the infected areas.
- Dress your child in light clothes why because whenever the temperature is high then they cause irritation and itching.
- Nursing or breastfeeding women should get complete control over their diet, as whatever they consume it will reflect on their baby. So, avoid consuming oily or processed foods, drink plenty of water and dandelion tea, cut down the sugar or dairy products, and include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables in the diet to revitalize the baby’s skin.
- Wipe your baby face and neck gently with a clean cloth that dipped in warm water after feeding your baby.
- It’s always best to avoid application of greasy oils, creams or lotions on the baby’s skin and also don’t scrub your baby skin which is affected by acne and prevent the usage of OTC acne medications on the baby’s skin.
- Avoid moisturizing the affected area and don’t squeeze or pinch the acne, as they will clog the skin pores and irritate the baby’s skin.
- Be patient and help your baby to get rid of the acne with the help of these remedies naturally and prevent the recurrence of the acne on their skin.
No one (especially parents) likes to see red bumps or acne blemishes on the baby skin and would like to know the best and safe ways to prevent this acne and clear from the skin. So, try these natural remedies to get rid of acne on your baby’s skin.
Do you know any other successful natural remedies to get rid of baby acne naturally? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.