An unintended or unplanned pregnancy can come as a shock or even dreadful news and force people to take life-altering decisions.
Each year almost 3 million women in the United Stated alone face this issue.
An unintended pregnancy may occur due to skipped contraception, improper use of contraception or contraception failure.
Whatever might be the reason, if you think that you might be at risk of getting pregnant after intercourse then there is an array of home remedies using natural ingredients for preventing unwanted pregnancies that you can choose from and use.
Home Remedies to Avoid Pregnancy after Intercourse Naturally
Parsley – This is a widely available herb that works as an effective home remedy for preventing pregnancy. Active ingredients apiol and myristicin found in parsley stimulate uterine contractions that bring on menstrual periods and cut out the chances of pregnancy.
- Take a few springs of fresh parsley
- Add 2 cups of water to it and bring it to a boil
- Boil it till the water reduces the half
- Strain it and drink the tea
Tip – Parsley oil also works as an effective natural contraception.
Angelica (Dong Quai) – This is yet another effective herb that prevents unwanted pregnancy by stimulating uterine contractions. So, it is best to use this remedy within 2 weeks from the date of the last intercourse.
Mugwort (Indian wormwood) – This herb has been used for centuries for treating absent menstruation (amenorrhea). Mugwort works as a uterine tonic and emmenagogue that promotes menstruation and can be used for avoiding pregnancy.
- Take dried Mugwort and add it to a cup of warm water
- Let it steep for 5 minutes and then strain the tea
- Drink it while it’s still warm
Caution – Overdose of Mugwort can cause renal failure, so it is best to limit the intake of this herb. Those suffering from kidney problems should avoid this herb.
Blue Cohosh – This is a potent natural contraceptive herb that works by stimulating the production of oxytocin which in turn promotes uterine contractions and helps to prevent unwanted pregnancy.
- Take a cup of water and add bits of Blue Cohosh to it
- Bread this tea for 5 minutes
- Strain the tea and consume it immediately
Black Cohosh – This herb also belongs to the Cohosh family and works in a similar way as blue Cohosh by releasing oxytocin. This herb can be taken alone or in combination with Pennyroyal.
Queen Anne’s Lace (Wild Carrot Seeds) – This is an age old natural remedy for preventing pregnancy. It is considered a powerful antifertility agent that stops the implantation process and forces the fertilized egg to be released even if it has implanted for a short period.
- Take a few wild carrot seeds and chew on the directly
- You can also grind the seeds and soak them in water for easier consumption
Stoneseed Root – This is an efficient herbal remedy to avoid unwanted pregnancy. Lithospermic Acid, the main component in this herb inhibits the production of sex hormones estrogen and progesterone that suspends the monthly menstrual flow and induces temporary sterility.
- Steep some stoneseed root in cold water
- Let it steep for several hours
- Strain the water and drink it several times a day
Jack-in-the pulpit root – This is a powerful herb for preventing pregnancy that has been tried and tested for ages. This herb also acts as a sterility promoter that suspends menstruation temporarily and prevents any chances of conception.
- Add some dried and powdered jack-in-the pulpit root to 1/2 cup of warm water
- Steep it for 2-3 minutes and drink it twice daily
Rue – Components philocarpine and rutin present in rue helps to prevent pregnancy creating an unfavourable environment in the uterus for implantation. It inhibits the circulation of blood to the uterus and endometrial lining temporarily.
- Add 2 teaspoons of rue in a cup of boiling water
- Let it steep for 5 minutes
- Strain and drink this tea
Pennyroyal – This herb is extensively used to treat menstruation-related problems such as cramps, painful cycles, delayed periods, anxiety, etc. It also helps to induce abortion and prevent unwanted pregnancy by stimulating blood flow to the pelvic region and promoting the onset of periods.
- You can prepare a pennyroyal herbal tea by steeping the leaves in a cup of warm water
- You can also opt for pennyroyal tonic, capsules or extract
Smartweed – This is an efficient herbal remedy for birth control that is absolutely safe and has no side-effects. The chemicals present in Smartweed leaves make the lining of the uterus unfavourable for implantation. It is best to consume this remedy immediately after unprotected sexual intercourse to prevent conception.
- Prepare herbal tea by boiling smartweed leaves in a cup of water
- Strain the tea and drink in a couple of time every day
- You can also consume smartweed tonic or extract
Wild Yam – Roots of Wild Yam contain an active ingredient called diosgenin, a main ingredient used in commercial oral contraceptives. It makes the egg follicle and sperms ineffective. The best thing about this remedy is that is does not interfere with the menstrual cycle of women as they continue to ovulate normally. But it can’t used as an emergency contraceptive. You need to take wild yam for at least 2 to 3 months at a stretch before you can opt for unprotected intercourse.
- Prepare herbal tea by steeping wild yam in hot water
- Wild yam is also available in the form of tincture, tonic and capsules
Neem – Neem has been used since ancient times to prevent pregnancy. Neem can be used as an emergency contraceptive that kills the sperms instantly inside the vagina. The antigens produced by Neem oil makes the uterus unsuitable for egg implantation.
- You can consume Neem leaves, Neem extract or oil
- Neem oil can also be injected to the area where the fallopian tubes meet the uterus
- Men can consume Neem tables to promote temporary sterility
Papaya – The latex-like substance present in unripe papaya acts like prostaglandin and oxytocin that promotes contractions of the uterine walls and causes menstruation. This helps to avoid unwanted pregnancy after unsafe sexual intercourse. It is best to start consuming papaya right after intercourse in order to prevent pregnancy.
- Consume a bowl of unripe papaya two times a day for 3 to 4 days
- You can also prepare a papaya smoothie by blending raw papaya in a blender
Ginger – Ginger root helps to prevent unwanted pregnancy by stimulating menstrual bleeding naturally. It is absolutely safe and has no side effects.
- Crush a piece of ginger and add it to a cup of boiling water
- Boil it for 5 minutes
- Strain the water and drink it while it’s still hot
- Drink 2 cups of ginger tea every day for a few days
Although, these home remedies and herbal remedies can help to prevent an unwanted pregnancy after unsafe sexual intercourse, it is advised to consult a professional medical practitioner in this regard because an overdose of some of these herbs mentioned in the list can be potentially dangerous for health.