Have you gone to a late night party and indulged in overeating? Suffering from abdominal pain and looking for antacids to ease your pain caused due to indigestion. Then you might be suffering from gastritis.
What is Gastritis?
Gastritis (gastric mucosa) is an inflammation, erosion or irritation of the lining of the stomach. In general, the stomach lining is responsible for producing enough stomach acids and enzymes for proper digestion but in an inflamed state, the stomach was unable to produce the essential quantities of these chemicals and thereby results in gastritis.
Certain factors like Helicobacter pylori bacteria, stress, excessive intake of alcohol, bacterial infections, chronic vomiting, over usage of pain relievers or NSAIDs drug, over eating, nutritional deficiencies (especially vitamin B12), acidic drinks, spicy foods, or bile reflux diseases will make you feel the fire in your gut.
They can be acute or chronic and the symptoms of gastritis can vary from one person to another. The most commonly observed symptoms include vomiting or nausea, feeling of fullness in the upper abdomen, indigestion, loss of appetite, bloating, heartburn, hiccups, burning or gnawing feeling in the stomach at night or between meals, dark stools, abdominal pain, bloating, etc.
Instead of taking antacids or over the counter medications for treating gastritis which may harm your body if used in the longer run so why not use a natural remedies like apple cider vinegar.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Gastritis:
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a folk remedy that used to treat various skin, health and beauty problems. It is a type of vinegar extracted from apples through fermentation process. It is widely used by Hippocrates (The Father of Medicine) for treating various health, hair and skin problems.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar good for Gastritis?
Being rich in acidic content, apple cider vinegar works well in treating gastritis, especially for the people with less acid. Here are some of its properties that clarify your question ‘can ACV help to fight gastritis?’
Have a look at these properties of ACV in treating gastritis.
- It improves gastrointestinal health, increases energy, works as anti-fungal and reduces triglyceride levels.
- It raises hydrochloric acid that helps to break down the food which in turn improves digestion, stomach lining immunity and prevents inflammation.
- Acetic and malic acid in cider vinegar converts carbohydrates into energy and thus boost up the energy production in oxygen-deprived conditions.
- It balances the pH levels and as a result, healthy bacteria will be able to flourish in the gastrointestinal system. It also prevents the fungi or other microbes getting into the intestine and causing the problem.
- It is rich in many essential vitamins and minerals that help to soothe the irritated stomach and prevents gastritis.
It acts as an anti-inflammatory agent that helps you to get relief from the stomach inflammation.
- In certain times, due to reduced production of hydrochloric acid, the stomach promotes gastritis. So, some naturopaths advise us to take a tablespoon of ACV during a flare – up to balance the acid – alkaline nature. If it works effectively for you then continue taking a little with meals.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar for Gastritis:
Here are the best methods of using apple cider vinegar for gastritis. All you need to use organic, raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar with mother content for treating your gastritis.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Honey)
Apple cider vinegar prevents the microbial infections and honey will soothe the irritated stomach lining to cure gastritis quickly.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of honey in 1 glass of water.
- Stir well and drink this mix to raise the production of hydrochloric acid and thereby aids digestion.
- Consume this drink whenever you suffer from gastritis (OR) before or after your meals to get rid of the problem.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Water)
Diluted ACV acts as a best antacid that relieves you from intestinal problems including gastritis.
Steps to be followed…
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water (prefer lukewarm water).
- Drink this for once or twice a day.
- Regular drinking of diluted apple cider vinegar (before or with meals) will help you to prevent gastritis problem.
Note: Or add some cranberry juice in diluted cider vinegar before drinking.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda)
This process is especially useful when you’re allergic to acidic products and want to neutralize the acidic nature of vinegar. Mixing baking soda with vinegar will neutralize the acid content and balances the pH level of the intestine and thereby break down the food to help proper digestion.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well till both the ingredients are well mixed in water.
- Drink this water to get relief from gastritis.
- Repeat the same regularly till you completely get rid of the problem.
Method – 4: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Ginger)
Ginger acts as a natural antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory agent that helps a lot in dealing with intestinal problems, including gastritis and indigestion. This combination helps to alleviate nausea, abdominal pain, feeling of fullness and inflammation.
Steps to be followed…
- Place a pan filled with 1 cup of water over low flame.
- Then add 2 inches of the finely crushed fresh ginger piece in this water.
- Stir and let it boil for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and strain the water.
- Finally, add 1 teaspoon of ACV to this water and consume this oral concoction to relieve your gastritis.
Method – 5: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Peppermint Tea)
Both ACV and peppermint will work well in reducing the inflammation or irritation in the stomach lining and thereby brings you an instant relief.
- For this process, take 1 cup of water and bring it to boil.
- Then add a handful of fresh peppermint leaves in this water.
- Boil it for another 2 – 3 minutes and then switch off the flame.
- Strain and mix 1 teaspoon of ACV in this peppermint tea.
- Consume this tea slowly and repeat its consumption regularly whenever you ate heavy meals or for proper digestion.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Instead of taking anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin or ibuprofen, take acetaminophen whenever you suffer from gastritis.
- In certain cases, the usage of ACV might worse the gastritis problem. So, stop using vinegar and consult your doctor for immediate diagnose and treatment.
- Other than using ACV methods, follow a healthy diet, reduce stress levels, avoid drinking alcohol or other acidic drinks, do regular exercises, etc. to get relief from gastritis or other gut problems now and then.
- Use organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar which is filled with powerful mother enzymes for treating gastritis.
- Regular intake of ACV will harm your teeth and causes tooth erosion that damages your teeth enamel. So, use a straw for drinking ACV and also not getting any problems.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid heavy or big dinners, consume freshly made healthy foods along with taking your meals on time will help you to stay away from gastrointestinal problems like gastritis.
- ACV is also used to treat heartburn, take 1 – 3 teaspoons of ACV up to 3 times daily after meals. For clearing yeast functions, take 1 – 2 teaspoons of ACV for thrice daily.
- Most of the naturopath doctors will advise taking 1 tablespoon of ACV (diluted) with or after meals will help to improve the functioning of digestion.
Do you have gastritis and know some tips for preventing or coping with it, then share your experience with us in the below the comments section.