Psoriasis is a chronic non-contagious skin problem that occurs when the dead cells begin to build up on the skin’s surface due to an autoimmune disorder (over production of new cells without discarding old cells on the skin) or genetics and appears as thick, dry, red and itchy patches on the skin.
These rashes are painful and cause irritation with slight itching. Although there is no complete cure for this problem but fortunately we can reduce its symptoms or intensity greatly either with over the counter creams and medication (OTC) or using natural home remedies.
The wise people will choose the natural remedies rather than OTC treatment, which cause harm to their body in long run. So, aloe vera (a succulent plant) is one of the best remedies for treating psoriasis at home. It is recommended by the International Congress of Dermatology in Prague, as an effective remedy than topical steroids for reducing the psoriasis symptoms.
Here we are providing you with all the information to know how does it work for reducing psoriasis and how to use it for faster relief along with some tips in this article. Let’s get started.
Does Aloe Vera work for Psoriasis?
Yes, it works well in reducing the symptoms of psoriasis like dryness, irritation, and itching with its amazing properties. It has been proved in many studies and research that aloe vera is more effective than topical steroids for treating psoriasis. Let’s have a look on it.
- Aloe vera contains 99% of water which helps to hydrate the skin and locks the moisture to prevent dryness, itching, and irritation. It also forms a protective layer on the skin to prevent any microbial growth.
- It penetrates deep into the skin that helps to reduce the thickness of rashes and prevents further breakouts on the skin.
- The remaining 1% contains many essential nutrients such as vitamins (A, B, B12, C & E), minerals (copper, calcium, chromium, iron, magnesium, potassium & zinc), salicylic acid, amino acids, antioxidants, enzymes and polysaccharides which boost up the immune system to fight against the triggers causing psoriasis and keeps the skin healthy.
- It has polysaccharides that strengthen the immune system by maintaining a proper count of white blood cells to fight against the harmful bacteria or virus getting into the body.
- It contains mild anesthetic and anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the skin to get rid of pain, irritation, swelling and other inflammatory symptoms.
- It has antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties that help the immune system to function properly and clears psoriasis.
- It aids in proper digestion and detoxifies the body to eliminate the toxins through colon and prevent gut problems when consumed orally and thus make psoriasis under control.
- It acts as an antioxidant that reduces the effect of free radicals on the skin and relieves you from itching and irritation.
- It has a natural substance called Adaptogen, which helps the body to adjust as per the external conditions to protect itself from getting illness and diseases. It boosts up the immune system if it is weak and calms down if it is hyperactive.
How to Reduce Psoriasis with Aloe Vera?
It’s always best to use aloe vera in fresh gel or juice form. Here are the best ways of using aloe vera for treating psoriasis.
Method – 1: (Aloe Vera)
This process is widely used to treat psoriasis on all over the skin along with nails and joints (psoriatic arthritis).
Steps to be followed…
- Cut a leaf of aloe vera and slice it to open the leaf.
- Squeeze it to extract its gel using a spoon.
- Apply it on psoriasis affected areas and massage gently for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes to overnight and rinse off with cool water.
- Repeat the same process for thrice daily till you got complete relief from the problem.
- Or blend aloe vera gel and water to get the fresh aloe vera juice. Apply this juice on the affected areas.
- Alternatively, wrap the aloe vera applied psoriasis infected areas with a plastic sheet to lock the moisture on the skin.
Method – 2: (Aloe Vera Juice)
Vitamin B12 deficiency is one of the causes for psoriasis and aloe vera has this vitamin. So, Intake of aloe vera will help you to get rid of the psoriasis problem.
Steps to be followed…
- Blend fresh aloe vera gel along with some water to obtain its juice.
- Then drink at least 1/4 cup of this aloe vera juice.
- Add a little of honey before drinking to enhance its taste.
- Drinking 10 ml of fresh aloe juice for twice a day i.e. once before breakfast and once before dinner will help you to lessen the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Or mix aloe vera juice in smoothies, fruit or vegetable juices and drink it.
- Be sure that not to take aloe vera if you’re pregnant or nursing women or suffering from kidney problems and also children for below 8 years without consulting a doctor.
Method – 3: (Aloe Vera with Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil has medium chain fatty acids that boost up the immune system and restores the moisture levels to get rid of psoriasis.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/3 cup of fresh aloe vera gel in 1/2 cup of melted organic coconut oil.
- Stir well and add 3 drops each of lavender, rose and peppermint oil to it.
- Mix it and store it in an airtight container and keep it aside for few hours to overnight.
- Apply this mix on psoriasis affected skin areas.
- Leave it on for overnight and rinse off with lukewarm water in the morning.
- Refrigerate the remaining aloe vera lotion for further usage.
- Do the same process regularly to get relief from the psoriasis flare-ups and its symptoms.
Note: Or if you’re using it on the scalp then simply wash your hair and scalp with aloe vera shampoo and conditioner in the morning.
Method – 4: (Aloe Vera for Scalp Psoriasis)
Scalp psoriasis can be appeared as raised, reddish and scaly patches that affect the entire scalp and in certain cases, it can spread to the forehead, back of the neck and behind the ears. Aloe vera also helps you in dealing with scalp psoriasis without damaging your hair.
Steps to be followed…
- Add equal quantities (1/2 glass) of aloe vera juice and water.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the scalp and massage it gently for 5 – 8 minutes.
- Let it sit for about 30 – 45 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Dry your hair thoroughly and repeat the same regularly.
- For quick results, add 2 drops of lavender or peppermint or tea tree essential oil in the aloe mix before applying.
- Or else add some fresh organic aloe vera juice or gel to your regularly used shampoo and conditioners before using it on the hair.
- Alternatively, mix 3 – 5 drops of any essential oil in 2 oz of aloe vera gel and apply it on the scalp. Rinse off with lukewarm water after 15 – 30 minutes. Repeat daily in severe case and twice a week for mild one.
- Or simply mix some jojoba oil in aloe vera gel and apply it on the scalp. Massage it gently and leave for overnight. Rinse off with aloe vera based shampoos to get relief from itching, dryness and scaling patches on the scalp.
Tips and Precautions:
- If you don’t have aloe plant then use organic aloe vera gel or juice that was brought from health food stores or local pharmacies.
- Usage of aloe vera based creams, lotions, shampoos, soaps or conditioners but make sure to check that they contain at least 0.5% of organic aloe vera and use it regularly to get rid of the problem. Also, choose the best brands for regular usage.
- Use only gel or juice of aloe vera for treating any health problem but it won’t be effective of taking aloe vera capsules.
Do some skin patch test before using aloe vera to know whether it causes any allergic reaction or not.
- Never ever use latex of aloe vera (for oral or topical application) why because it causes diarrhea, abdominal cramps, lowers blood sugar levels, etc. If taken in large amounts then also it causes the same problems.
- It might interact with certain medications so, it’s advisable to consult your doctor before using aloe vera for psoriasis treatment.
- For best results, apply aloe vera after taking your bath and leave it like that. Also, don’t delay to consult your doctor if you didn’t find any kind of relief after using aloe vera for psoriasis.
- Always follow a restricted psoriasis diet, healthy lifestyle, manage your stress, have dietary herbs and supplements, quit smoking and drinking alcohol and use the natural remedies regularly for holistic healing of psoriasis.
This is all about Aloe Vera for Psoriasis. Hope you’ll give a trial to these methods and get relieved from the symptoms of psoriasis. Let me know which method works well in treating your psoriasis.