Cough is a most common health problem that occurs when there is a blockage or any irritation in the throat or upper air passages. It is also caused due to common cold, viral infection, environmental pollutants, upper respiratory problems, smoking, etc.
Coughing results in the itchy throat, sore throat, fever, headache, congestion, and chest pain. It can be cured by itself within a week to 10 days but to get faster relief, you have to follow natural remedies rather than over the counter medications to treat cough naturally.
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) stands as best cough remedy with its amazing health and skin benefits. Hippocrates, the father of medicine has suggested using ACV for treating many health problems, including cough.
Still having a doubt on how does apple cider vinegar works to treat cough? Here we are providing its properties that help in curing the cough and its symptoms effectively.
- It has antibacterial, antiviral and antiseptic properties that fight against the microbes causing infection in the upper respiratory system.
- It has an astringent property that helps to control the spread of infection in the throat and heals the infection to relieve you from cough.
- It has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that help you in reducing the pain and irritation in the throat and chest that caused due to cough.
- It contains all the essential nutrients, live enzymes and amino acids which help to boost up the immune system and thus promotes quick relief from cough.
- It is used to manage all forms of cough (especially dry cough) along with soothing the throat to get relief from soreness and itching in the throat.
Hope now you’re ready to use apple cider vinegar as your cough suppressant. So, follow these best apple cider vinegar methods to get quick relief from cough.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Honey)
Both honey and apple cider vinegar have antibacterial and soothing properties that clear cough and soothes the throat. This combination acts as a cough suppressant.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 glass of water.
- Stir it well and heat this mix to get slightly warm.
- Take it out and consume it slowly while it is warm.
- Repeat it for 2 – 4 times daily until you got complete relief from cough and sore throat.
- Or mix 2 – 3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with equal amount of butter and sugar. Stir well and consume this for 2 – 3 times a day to get rid of the problem.
- Simply add some fresh lemon juice in the above water and drink it.
Method – 2: (Homemade Cough Syrup)
It is a natural homemade cough syrup that works more effectively than over the counter medical syrups. It not only cure cough but also congestion in chest and soreness in the throat.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/4 tablespoon each of finely ground ginger and cayenne pepper to 2 tablespoons of water.
- Then add 1 tablespoon each of honey and apple cider vinegar in this water.
- Stir all these ingredients and consume 1 tablespoon of this syrup for every 3 – 4 hours to suppress cough.
- Store the remaining mix in a jar at room temperature but be sure to discard the leftover mix after 8 hours.
- Continue doing this repeatedly till you get relief from cough.
- Or use 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 1 clove garlic (grated) in the above ACV – honey tonic to get quick relief.
- Simply use fresh lemon juice instead of water.
- Alternatively, mix 1/2 teaspoon each of organic apple cider vinegar and raw honey. Consume this natural cough syrup to suppress cough and its symptoms. Or add a little of cayenne pepper and have it.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar alone is used to treat many health problems naturally. but due to its pungent aroma and tart taste, use it by diluting in water.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water.
- Stir well and drink it to get rid of the problem.
- Regular intake of this ACV water will help you to strengthen your immune system and thereby to prevent cough.
- Or use lukewarm water instead of normal water.
- Alternatively, consuming 2 – 3 teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar for 1 – 2 twice a day will help to manage dry cough, which was suggested by many naturopaths.
- Or simply mix apple cider vinegar to your herbal teas, smoothies, fresh fruit and vegetable juices, salad dressing, etc. to heal cough.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always use raw, organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar that contains mother in it, to treat any health problem including cough.
- Make sure to consult your doctor if you’ve cough that persists more than a week or accompanied by fever or headache or having productive cough with thick yellow or green mucous.
- Include apple cider vinegar in your daily diet to get relief from inside out.
- Simply pour some apple cider vinegar on your pillow case before going to bed at night to reduce night time cough, as the aroma of vinegar will soothe and calm the throat and makes you to sleep with less cough.
- Remember that don’t give honey to children under 1 year as it causes a risk of infant botulism.
- Use steam or humidifier to moisten the air and thereby to get rid of dry cough. Be sure to hydrate yourself with warm water, hot soups, herbal teas, hot milk and fruit juices.
Try these apple cider vinegar methods as your cough remedy. Or do you think that any ACV method I missed in this list? Then share it with us by commenting in the below box.
Leave a Reply