Cold is a common upper respiratory infection that caused by various types of viruses. The virus penetrates into the mucous membrane and thus results as cold.
Everyone faces this common problem due to sudden weather changes, virus attacks (rhinovirus and coronavirus), allergic disorders, stress, etc. which makes us unable to concentrate on anything.
Sneezing, sore throat, cough, headache, runny nose, body pains, itchy eyes, congestion, fever, fatigue, etc. are some of the symptoms experienced while suffering from common cold.
Cold, if not treated on time then it results in various complications like pneumonia, acute bronchitis, acute bacterial sinusitis, flu and strep throat.
Although there are many natural home remedies used for treating cold and its symptoms, the best and most widely used among them is apple cider vinegar. So, in this article, we are learning how this apple cider vinegar works in treating the cold.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar treat Cold?
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) helps to ease several ailments, including cold with its amazing properties. Have a look at its properties to know how it treats cold.
- ACV alkalizes (neutralizes) the body that makes it difficult for the virus to sustain.
- Its acidic nature will help to inhibit the bacterial growth and prevent its spreading.
- It has potassium that helps to thin the mucus and thus breaks up the congestion to clear cold.
- It has all essential nutrients and enzymes that strengthen your immune system to fight against the virus causing cold infection.
- The smell of ACV will calm down your nose and throat.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar for Cold:
There are many ways of using ACV for treating the cold. All you need is to choose the one that suits best for you and try it to treat your cold and its symptoms faster.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Drinking ACV at the moment when you first notice the symptoms of cold will help you to get rid of cold and also lessen its symptoms.
- Drink 1 – 2 tablespoons of organic ACV directly to get rid of this infection.
- If you’re unable to drink it due to its acidic taste, then mix 1 tablespoon of ACV in 1 glass of water and drink it.
- Repeat it once or twice daily till you get complete relief from the problem.
- Or mix 1 tablespoon of ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 glass of lukewarm water and drink it as a tonic to get relief from the cold.
- Also, mix equal quantities of ACV and honey and consume 1 tablespoon of this mix for every 4 hours till you get rid of cold and its symptoms.
- Or blend 2 tablespoons of ACV and 4 tablespoons of honey in 1 large cup of Echinacea tea. Drink it 2 – 3 times daily to boost up your immune system and to get relief from cold.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar Brew)
This spicy brew or concoction will soothe the symptoms and boost up the immunity and your energy levels to get quick relief from the problem.
- Combine 1/4 cup each of hot water and ACV in a mug.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, fresh juice of 1 lemon wedge and 1 tablespoon of honey in it.
- Stir well and drink it by taking a deep breath of this mix.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Garlic)
Garlic has an antiseptic property that strengthens your immune system and allicin in garlic helps to stimulate white blood cells.
- Add 8 crushed garlic cloves in 1 cup each of raw apple cider vinegar and organic honey.
- Combine all the ingredients and store it in an airtight container.
- Refrigerate it and shake it occasionally.
- Now add 2 teaspoons of this mix in 1 glass of water and drink it.
- For best results, drink it once daily on an empty stomach till you healed cold and its symptoms.
Tips and Precautions:
- Mix 1 part of ACV, 3 parts of olive oil, a splash of balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard in a bowl to make an ACV salad dressing and drizzle it on your salads before consuming.
- You can also add 1/8 cup of organic ACV to the water in a vaporizer at night before bedtime will help to give relief from cold, cough and congestion.
- Also, mix 1 tablespoon of ACV and 1 teaspoon of honey in your herbal teas like cinnamon tea and mint tea. Drink it 2 – 3 times daily for getting faster relief.
- Try some natural decongestants to thin the mucus and to get clear the cold and congestion.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy drinks to prevent dehydration and to thin the mucus. Consume a healthy nutritional food to boost up the immunity. Avoid the intake of dairy products, as it increases the mucus production and worsens the infection.
- Always use a straw while drinking ACV and also rinse your mouth after drinking it to prevent the erosion of teeth enamel.
- Consume your food or drinks when it is hot to thin the mucus and treats congestion.
- Never ever consume more quantities of ACV, as it irritates your esophagus and also leads to a sore throat.
- Consult your doctor before using ACV for cold, as it may interact with certain medications.
Try these Apple Cider Vinegar methods for treating your cold and share your experience with us in the below comments box.