Tried with various medicines and could not treat acne? Investing pounds together just to buy a pill or cream to get rid of that small pimple is quiet annoying.
We all have a common misconception among everyone that acne is just an external skin problem that can be treated using creams. But in fact acne is caused due to the excessive secretion of oil from the sebaceous glands that block the skin pores and small openings of hair follicles.
Apart from this stress, hormonal changes, pregnancy, bacteria, smoking, contraceptive pills, heredity, pollution etc. are few major reasons of acne.
Acne is one of the common skin problems that produce spots, redness, itching and painful pimples on the face, neck, shoulders, chest, back and upper arms.
Every person comes across this phase at least once in their life time and tries hard to get rid of it. A recent survey shows that 60 million Americans in the U.S are suffering from acne and more than 50% of the people are using olive oil for its treatment.
8 out of 10 people who are using olive oil have gained positive results and got rid of acne.
Olive oil has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant property that helps in destroying acne causing bacteria and nourishes the affected skin.
Natural home remedies are highly effective and are beneficial to our skin as well as body.
There are top 5 easy and best methods mentioned below that are helpful in getting rid of acne as well as acne scars.
Olive oil properties:
- Olive oil has proteins and nutrients that fights against inflammation and provides relief to the skin.
- The presence of polyphenols makes olive oil act as antioxidant that fights against free radicals. It helps in keeping skin moist and heals acne quickly.
- It has anti-bacterial property, which kills acne causing bacteria and eliminates their growth in the affected area.
- It has high amounts of essential nutrients and fatty acids that improve healing process by cleansing the skin properly.
- Olive oil acts as moisturizer and doesn’t allow your skin to dry out. The dry skin may lead to severe itching and worsen the condition.
- It removes the dead skin cells and unblocks the pores that are blocked with dirt and oil particles.
- Olive oil contains beta carotenes and unsaturated fatty acids that provide strength to the immune system of the body.
Top 5 best methods of using olive oil for acne:
Here, we have mentioned how to use olive oil for treatment of acne. There are 5 easy methods that you can use regularly:
1. Olive Oil Massage
It is one of the easiest ways to get to rid of any skin problems. It cleans the skin pores by removing bacteria and oil particles. This massage therapy increases the blood flow and more production of collagen in the skin and keeps it healthy.
How to use?
- Take some amount of extra virgin olive oil on your palm and apply it on your face and neck.
- Now, massage thoroughly in circular movements using your finger tips.
- Allow the skin to absorb all the oil. Leave it untouched for 15-20 minutes.
- Take a piece of soft cloth and soak it in hot water. Later take out the cloth piece and remove excess water.
- After 15 minutes put that cloth on your face and allow it to sit their till the cloth cools down.
- Repeat the same process 2-3 times till all the excess oil is removed.
- Lastly rinse off your face using cold water, which helps in locking the moisture of the skin.
- Regular massaging will help in getting rid of acne or pimple problems of skin.
- If olive oil gets into your eyes, then wash your eyes using water and dry.
- Applying olive oil and leaving it over night will have positive results on your skin.
2. Olive Oil and Baking Soda:
Baking soda acts as an exfoliating agent and is helpful in removing the dead skin cells. It balances pH levels of the skin and maintains even tone of the skin.
How to use?
- Take 1 teaspoon of baking soda and add same amount of extra virgin olive oil to it.
- Mix it properly till it forms a fine paste.
- Apply it on the pimples or acne and massage gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Then leave it for 15-20 minutes and rinse with water.
- Do not rub the skin just pat dry using towel.
- You can repeat it regularly till you are completely free of acne and its symptoms.
3. Olive Oil Scrub with Sea Salt:
Sea salt cleans the skin pores densely and removes all the oil particles from the skin. It also balances the oil production of the skin and eliminates the growth of bacteria.
How to use?
- Initially clean your face and neck with a soft piece of cloth or towel.
- Take a bowl and pour ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil and 1 cup of finely grounded sea salt.
- Mix it well to form a fine scrub mix.
- Now, apply it neatly on your skin and rub it gently in circular positions.
- Allow it to sit for 5-6 minutes and then wash it using warm water.
- Now, take small amount of olive oil and apply it to the skin when it is wet.
- For removing excess oil you can use tissue or cotton balls.
- For best results you can follow this method regularly.
4. Olive Oil and Honey
Honey has anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties, which removes the acne causing bacteria and keeps skin clean. It has healing property that helps in complete removal of the acne and its scars.
How to use?
- Take a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of extra virgin oil and ½ teaspoon of honey to it.
- Stir well and make a thick paste.
- Apply it on acne or acne scars and allow it to sit for 15 minutes.
- Then, rinse it off using water and pat dry the skin.
- For best results you can use it twice a day.
- If needed, you can add lemon juice that brightens the acne scars and removes the bacteria with its property.
5. Olive Oil and Aloevera:
Aloevera has anti-bacterial property that plays major role in treating acne and minimizing its symptoms. It also avoids further infection by eliminating the growth of acne causing bacteria. Aloevera is also known for its easy healing properties.
How to use?
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of aloevera gel and mix it with 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Mix it well to form a paste and apply it using cotton ball.
- Massage gently in circular motions using your finger tips.
- Now, allow it to sit for 2-3 hours tills it dries out completely.
- Then, wash it off using lukewarm water.
Other methods of using olive oil for acne:
- You can use olive oil in your salads, soups or other food items, which will help you in acne treatment.
- Olive oil steam is also one of the best methods to get rid of acne, acne scars and other skin problems.
- Olive oil and organic turmeric powder can be mixed well and applied on your skin to get rid of acne.
- Rosehip oil or rose water can also be mixed with olive oil for treating acne face.
Tips and precautions for using olive oil for acne prone skin:
- Do not hurry and change the method, using olive oil once or twice will not result and cure acne. Your skin needs some time to respond back to the olive oil treatment and start healing process.
- Always prefer using extra virgin olive oil because after refining it loses all its properties. So, avoid using refined olive oil.
- Sometimes after using olive oil treatment skin may become dry or you may feel tight. Do not panic just apply some amount of olive oil that acts as moisturizer.
- Some people may be allergic towards olive oil so, it is safer to do skin patch test and check whether it is allergic or not.
- Eating healthy food, following regular exercises and leading a stress free life are the tips to stay away from acne before and after.
Frequently asked questions:
1. What food causes acne?
The foods that are rich in gluten such as pizza, breads, potato chips, chocolates etc are responsible for acne.
2. Can i get rid of acne using home remedies?
Yes, home remedies are beneficial in getting rid of acne and acne scars. Home remedies are safer and doesn’t have any side effects.
3. Can anxiety cause acne?
Yes, but we cannot say anxiety can alone be the reason. It is caused mainly due to bacteria and excess oil production in the skin. Anxiety leads to stress and this causes release of stress hormone, which can be responsible for acne.
4. Can lack of sleep cause acne?
Whenever you are awake for long time you can observe increased secretion of sebum on your skin causing acne.
5. What foods are best to get rid of acne?
Spinach, tomatoes, berries, carrots, potatoes etc. are the healthy foods and they are proved to provide benefits to the skin. Thus, these foods are helpful in getting rid of acne.
6. Are dairy products good for acne?
No, milk and other dairy products contain growth hormones and inflammatory substances that block your skin pores and causes acne.
7. Can rice cause acne?
It is said to reduce the intake of foods with high glycemic index and more amount of carbohydrates. So, it is better to avoid rice during acne problem.
Olive oil has various benefits that are helpful in treating acne and other skin related problems. All the methods mentioned above are easy and safe to use. So, you can follow any remedy according to your convenience.
Have you ever tried with any of the above mentioned remedy? How was your experience? Please write to us in the comment section below.