How to Get Rid of Pimple Scabs Fast?
Repeated pimple and acne breakouts are embarrassing and irritating enough, formation of scabs during the healing phase make things even worse by turning the pimples and acne even more unsightly.
Scabs are protective crusts that form on the top of acne and pimples during the healing phase. They are made up of dried red and white blood cells and blood fluids. The scab acts as a protective covering on top of the opening of the pimple that allows the infection to heal from within.
But the unsightly appearance of the scabs along with their irritating crusty texture tempts us to pull on them. But pulling off the scab by force before the pimple is healed completely only makes things worse by opening it to further infection and increasing the chances of scarring.
The best way to deal with pimple scabs is to use some home remedies and natural treatments to speed up the healing process that goes beneath the scab and keep the scab soft and well-moisturized at the same time.
Ways to Heal Pimple Scabs
Cleanse the scabs – Cleaning the scabs at least twice a day using an antibacterial cleaner will prevent further infection and stop acne and pimples from spreading. Wet the area with water and apply a little amount of the facial cleanse to it using your fingers. Clean the area using a clean washcloth and pat dry.
Keep it moisturized – After cleaning the scab using a cleanser, apply any natural oil to it to keep it well-moisturized. This will prevent itching and irritation due to dryness. Take some olive oil or almond oil in a bowl. Dip a q-tip in the oil and apply it to the scab.
Use warm Compress – The moisture and heat from the warm compress will soften the scan and help it to come off naturally without leaving behind any scar. Soak a clean cloth in warm water. Wring out the excess water and press the cloth on the scab. Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat this twice a day till the scab comes off.
Avoid Touching or Scratching the Scabs – Scratching or picking on the scab will only delay the healing process and increase the chances of scarring. Touching the scab repeatedly will also increase the risk of spreading the pimple-causing bacteria.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Pimple and Acne Scabs Quickly
Plantain Leaves – Plantain leaves are widely available in people’s gardens and backyards. The antibiotic and wound healing property of plantain leaves speed up the healing process of the pimples.
- Prepare a paste by boiling 10 fresh plantain leaves in water and then mashing them
- Allow this paste to cool and then add a few drops of almond or castor oil to it
- Apply this mixture on the scabs and leave it overnight
- Wash off the next morning
Aloe Vera Gel – Pure aloe vera gel helps to keep the scab well-moisturized and prevents irritation and itching. The anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera also speed up the healing process and reduce redness and swelling.
- Cut off a fresh aloe vera leaf
- Scrape out the gel from inside the leaf
- Apply a thick layer of this gel on the scab
- Leave in on for a few hours and then wipe off with a cotton ball
Honey – The humectant property of honey helps to trap moisture in the scab and prevents it from over-drying. The antibacterial properties of honey help to heal the pimple and prevent further outbreaks.
- Take a small amount on raw organic honey in a bowl
- Apply it on the scab generously
- Leave it on for an hour and then wipe off with a wet cotton ball
Baking Soda – The potent antibacterial properties of baking soda boosts the healing of the pimple while its astringent property dries it out from within without irritating the scab.
- Made a paste by mixing baking soda with water
- Apply this paste on the scabs, coving them completely
- Let it dry out and then wash off with water
Garlic – The anti-bacterial, antifungal and healing properties of garlic boosts the healing of the pimple without scarring.
- Soak a few cloves of garlic in olive oil for 2 hours
- Now crush the garlic along with the oil and make a paste
- Apply this to the scabs and wait for 5 to 10 minutes
- Wash it off with water
- Note – Those with sensitive skin may experience irritation and burning due to garlic.
Apple Cider Vinegar – The antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties of apple cider vinegar helps to heal the pimples and acne from within. Exfoliating properties of apple cider vinegar helps to remove the scab faster. It also promotes the regeneration of new skin cells which prevents scarring.
- Take 50 ml of water in a cup
- Add 5 ml of apple cider vinegar to it
- Dip a cotton ball in this mixture and place it on the scab
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash off with water
Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil is widely used to treat acne and pimples because of its potent antiseptic properties. When applied to the scabs, it can help to prevent infections and speared of the bacteria.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil on a cotton ball
- Place it on the scab and leave it on for 30 minutes
- Reapply the oil 2 times a day till the pimple and healed completely
Calendula Oil Mixture – Calendula oil is known for its amazing anti-inflammatory and vulnerary action that heals stubborn wounds which makes it a common ingredient in antiseptic creams and ointments. It also helps to sooth and softens the scabs and prevents irritation.
- Take a tablespoon of almond or olive oil in a bowl
- Add a few drops of calendula oil to it and mix well
- Apply this mixture to the scabs using a q-tip
- Reapply it 3 to 4 times every day till the scab comes off
Epsom Salt Soak – Epsom salt has the capacity to soothe the inflammation and reduce irritation. Soaking the scabs in Epsom salt water also helps to moisturize the scab and reduces the chances of scarring.
- Take a container filled with lukewarm water
- Add a tablespoon of Epsom salt to it and mix well
- Dip a cotton ball in this water and then place it on the scab
- Do this several times a day for a few days till the scab comes off
Petroleum Jelly – Petroleum jelly forms a protecting layer over the scab that prevents drying and irritation, reduces the chances of infection and quickens the healing process of the pimple.
- Clean your face with an antibacterial cleanser
- Dry your face with a clean towel
- Apply a small amount of petroleum jelly all over the scab
- Reapply it whenever you feel dryness or irritation in the scab
So, the next time you feel tempted to pick on your pimple scabs, remember that it will only worsen the situation. Use these home remedies instead in order to heal the scabs from within and prevent infection and scarring.