When there is an excess amount of acid produced by the gastric glands of the stomach then it results in acidity. This excessive (or imbalance) gastric juices move from the stomach to the lower part of the esophagus and affects the inner lining of the stomach.
The acidity if not treated on time, it results in stomach gas, indigestion, nausea, gout, arthritis, ulcers or esophageal cancer.
Prolonged heartburn, GERD, nausea, chest pain, vomiting or bitter taste in mouth, loss of appetite, constipation, burning sensation in the stomach after taking meals, belching, gas, etc. are some symptoms of acidity.
Dysfunction of the digestive tract, irregular eating habits, smoking, alcohol, stress, intake of spicy foods, aging, hormonal changes, hyper-secretion of hydrochloric acid, over exposure to sun or heat, fasting, etc. are some triggers of acidity.
Instead of using antacids every time to neutralize the acidity, you can try using some natural remedies for treating the acidity problem, as it recognized as one of the major problems that result in many health ailments.
Home Remedies for Acidity:
There are many natural remedies for acidity to treat at home. All you need is to follow these remedies to get control over the acidity.
Remedy- 1: (Ginger)
Ginger has alkalizing nature and stimulates the production of saliva which helps to flush out the acid in your stomach. This also reduces the reflux of acid into the esophagus to prevent acidity or acid reflux.
Here are the few ways of using ginger for treating acidity.
- Chew few slices of ginger throughout the day.
- Drink ginger tea by steeping few ginger slices in 1 cup of hot water for 5 minutes and stir it well by adding a little of honey and lemon juice.
- Consume a spoonful of ginger juice for 2 – 3 times daily will provide you relief from the acidity.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of ginger powder, a pinch of asafoetida and rock salt in 1 cup of water. Stir well and drink it whenever you suffer from acidity.
- Ginger – coriander tea helps to get rid of acidity that caused due to overeating. Mix 2 tablespoons of ground ginger and 1/2 teaspoon of coriander powder into 8 oz of hot water. Steep it about 4 – 5 minutes and drink it to get relief from acidity.
Remedy – 2: (Basil Leaves)
Basil leaves contain certain compounds that stimulate the production of more mucus in the stomach to prevent acidity. It has soothing and carminative properties that reduce the effect of peptic acids in the stomach to get relief from acidity, gas and bloating.
Here are few ways of using basil leaves for treating acidity.
- Rinse thoroughly 5 – 7 basil leaves and chew them (prefer after taking your meals) regularly.
- Crush finely rinsed 8 – 10 basil leaves into a paste and then mix it into 1 glass of lukewarm water. Stir well and drink it to get rid of acidity and abdominal pain.
- Boil 3 – 5 basil leaves in 1 cup of water and thus simmer it for few minutes. Then add a little of honey to sweeten the tea and sip it slowly to get relief from acidity.
Remedy – 3: (Cinnamon)
Cinnamon acts as natural antacid that dispels the stomach gas and thus reduce the stomach acidity. It has certain compounds that aid in proper digestion without causing acid reflux or heartburn.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder into 1 cup of water.
- Place it on heat and bring it to a boil.
- Steep for few minutes and drink this cinnamon tea for 2 – 3 times daily to get proper control over acidity.
Note: Or include cinnamon powder in your daily diet like soups or salads or any other recipes.
Remedy – 4: (Buttermilk)
Buttermilk is enriched with lactic acid (neutralizes the acid levels in the intestine) and nutrients (vitamins, potassium, calcium, and phosphorus) that help to soothe the stomach to reduce the acidity and other digestive disorders.
Here are few ways of using buttermilk for treating acidity and other digestive problems.
- Make a paste of 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds by adding a little water. Mix this paste to 1 glass of buttermilk and drink it regularly to get relief from the acidity and stomach ache caused by acidity.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar) in 1 cup of buttermilk. Drink it regularly to keep the acidity at bay.
- Stir some amount of black pepper powder in 1 glass of buttermilk. Drink this spiced buttermilk to get relief from the acidity.
- Drink 1 glass of buttermilk by mixing 1 teaspoon of dry roasted cumin powder and a pinch of rock salt in it. Regular intake will prevent the attack of acid on the intestinal tract.
- Add 1 teaspoon of freshly prepared coriander leaves juice (or fresh coriander leaves) in 1 glass of buttermilk. Stir well and have it to cut down the excess acid and its attacks in your stomach.
Remedy – 5: (Cumin Seeds)
Cumin seeds stimulate the pancreatic enzymes that aid in proper digestion which in turn helps to get rid of many digestive disorders. It acts as a great acid neutralizer to prevent acidity and GERD.
Here are few ways of using cumin seeds for relieving you from acidity.
- Roast some cumin seeds and crush them slightly. Mix it in 1 glass of water and drink it after your every meal to get rid of the problem.
- Boil 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds in 1 cup of water. Strain it and drink this cumin water regularly after meals.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of cumin seed powder, coriander seed powder and fennel seed powder along with a little sugar in 1/2 cup of water. Stir well and drink it on an empty stomach to get rid of the acidity.
- Simply chew some raw cumin seeds thoroughly to get immediate relief from the acidity and its symptoms.
Remedy – 6: (Diet Plan)
Diet is very important for treating this acidity, as it is a major cause of this problem.
- Reduce the consumption of acidic fruits like pineapple, berries, grapefruit, cherries, peaches, plums, citric fruits, etc. especially when you’re suffering from acidity.
- Intake of prunes, grapes, banana, dates, figs, pears, persimmons, raising and other alkaline fruits in your diet to balance the acid – alkaline (pH) of your stomach.
- Drink plenty of water (have 1 glass of warm water in the morning) and other healthy juices or drinks to neutralize the stomach acidity and thus to flush out the toxins from the body.
- Intake of certain alkalizing foods like honey, asparagus, broccoli, coconut water, watermelon, tomatoes, spinach, carrots, radishes, zucchini, cauliflower, celery, margarine, hazelnuts, etc. in your daily diet will neutralize the acid levels.
- Lessen the intake of some dairy products, brown rice, peanuts, boiled lentils, hot dog, wild cooked trout, white canned tuna fish, canned sardines, chicken, pepperoni, lean beef, parmesan cheese, etc. in your diet.
- Intake of certain ingredients like apple cider vinegar drink (1 teaspoon of ACV in 1 cup of lukewarm water), lemon water (mix of lemon juice in 1 cup of lukewarm water), 1 glass of cold milk, spearmint tea and chewing cumin seeds (or fennel seeds, cloves, cardamom, jaggery piece, anise seeds or carom seeds) will reduce the acidity and its symptoms.
Tips and precautions:
- Most people get confused with acidity and acid reflux but both are different with a little bit of difference. Acidity occurs due to over production of HCL and acid reflux occurs due to the black flow of acid to the esophagus.
- Avoid having 3 big meals, instead, go with 6 small meals for proper digestion and to maintain pH levels of your abdomen.
- Consult your doctor if you’re frequently suffering from acidity, as it can be a result of any other health ailment. So, go for proper diagnose and treatment to get relief from this problem.
- Overweight or obesity is also a major cause for acidity. So, reduce your weight by following a proper nutritious diet, regular exercises, and proper food habits.
- It’s always suggested to reduce your stress levels by doing deep breathing exercises, yoga, and meditation, etc. to get rid of acidity and other health problems.
- It is suggested not to drink water during or immediately after completing your meals, as it results in improper digestion and thus leads to acidity.
Stop suffering from acidity and start using these natural remedies for reducing acidity. Do you know any other successful methods for treating acidity? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.