Investing almost 30% of your monthly income in oral treatment is definitely not a good thing. Isn’t it?
Studies show that one third of the world population suffer from abscess tooth.
The damaged, opened or cracked tooth enamel due to gingivitis, poor oral care or high intake of sugar allows the bacteria to enter into the root of your teeth and leads to accumulation of pus. This causes severe pain and swelling in the root gums and cheeks. Such infection is termed as abscess tooth, which may spread throughout the body parts like jaw bones, muscles etc. It can sometimes be severe and affects the brain muscles leading to brains abscess.
Although there are various medications for abscess tooth but the best solution is to use home remedies as they are less expensive and highly effective. Almost 30-40% people use home remedies because they provide relief against tooth ache and remove the root cause of the problem.
Below we have mentioned various methods for treating abscess tooth. Make sure you follow all the methods properly and get rid of abscess tooth.
Top 10 Best Home Remedies for Abscess Tooth
Here are few natural home remedies that are helpful in treating abscess tooth:
Method 1: (Garlic)
Garlic is rich in allicin compound that fights against bacteria and prevents its growth. It is known for its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. So, it is used in treatment of several dental problems such as cavities and gum disease. It also reduces any kind of pain or irritation related to tooth. Hence, garlic plays important role in treating tooth abscess.
How to use?
- Take few cloves of garlic and crush them gently till it produces juice.
- Now, take a cotton ball and soak it in garlic juice.
- Then, apply it on the affected area and leave it untouched for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off using water.
- You can repeat it 3 to 4 times per day for effective results.
- You can directly take a garlic clove and chew it with the affected tooth. The juice produced from the garlic helps in getting relief from the pain.
- Take ½ teaspoon of garlic powder and add a pinch of salt to it. Now, apply it directly on the abscess tooth and leave for 10 minutes. Then, you can wash your mouth using water.
- Just take a teaspoon of garlic oil and rub it in the tooth for relieving the pain.
Method 2: (Clove oil)
Clove is a traditional medicine used for treating oral problems. It reduces pain and swelling in the tooth. Clove is rich in antiseptic and antifungal properties, which prevents the growth of bad bacteria and overcomes the problems associated with it.
Clove oil is majorly used to treat tooth ache and abscess tooth. The nutrients present in it are helpful in providing strength to the tooth and reduce inflammation.
How to use?
- Take a bowl and pour 1 or 2 teaspoons of clove oil in it.
- Now, dip the tooth brush into the clove oil and brush your teeth.
- Do not apply pressure while brushing.
- Then, rinse off with water.
- You can repeat the same procedure regularly.
- You can massage your tooth using clove oil.
- Adding some amount of hydrogen peroxide with the clove oil and applying it on the infected tooth will relieve the pain.
- Take a clove and chew it with the infected tooth and extract the juice to get rid of tooth abscess.
Method 3: (Oil pulling)
Oil pulling is one of the oldest ayurvedic methods followed to get rid of any tooth problems.
In this technique we use coconut oil because lipids present in the oil pull out the bacteria, toxins and other germs. Thus, oil pulling technique helps to get rid of tooth infection and relieves pain.
How to use?
- Pour one tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil into your mouth,
- Allow it to stay there for 10-15 minutes.
- Then, spit it out and rinse your mouth using warm water.
- Follow this method regularly and get rid of all the tooth problems.
- It is preferred to do this process on empty stomach as it may worsen the abscess problem.
- Do not swallow this coconut oil because it leads to other health problems.
Method 4: (Hydrogen peroxide and Baking soda)
The antibacterial and disinfectant properties of hydrogen peroxide kills and prevent further growth of bad bacteria. These bacteria are responsible for toothache, swelling, infection etc.
Baking soda is capable of balancing the pH levels of tooth and removes the abscess from the tooth.
How to use?
- Take 1 teaspoon of baking soda and add ½ teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in it.
- Now, mix it thoroughly till it turns to thick paste.
- Apply it on the infected areas and let it sit for couple of minutes.
- Then, rinse it off thoroughly using warm water.
- For best results you can repeat it till you are free from abscess tooth.
- Take 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide and add it with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Mix it thoroughly and pour it into your mouth.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and later you can wash using water.
Method 5: (Black Tea Bags)
Black tea has high amount of tannins that reduce the inflammation and provides relief against pain. It has antioxidants that fight against the infection of the tooth. Black tea fights against the bacteria and prevents tooth decay. Thus, it is helpful in treating abscess tooth problem and maintaining good health.
How to use?
- Take a cup of warm water and soak 1 black tea bag in it.
- Now, take it outside and remove excess water from it.
- Then, keep it between the teeth for overnight.
- Next day morning you can rinse it thoroughly using warm water and salt.
- You can repeat it once in a week for effective results.
Method 6: (Salt water)
Salt is rich in antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. It kills the bacteria and keeps teeth away from infection. Salt is known for reducing the pain and inflammation of the abscess tooth. Salt increases the pH level of the mouth and prevents growth of bacteria in the mouth.
How to use?
- Take a glass of warm water and add 1 teaspoon salt to it.
- Now, stir it well and gargle for 2 or 3 times taking mouthful of water.
- Once it is done spit out salt water and rinse thoroughly with normal water.
- You can repeat it 2 or 4 times per day to get rid of infection.
Method 7: (Peppermint oil)
Peppermint has natural antiseptic properties, which fights against bacteria and prevents infection. It provides soothing effect by reducing pain and inflammation to the affected tooth. The antioxidants present in the peppermint helps in repairing it and avoid bleeding in the gums.
How to use?
- Take some 2-3 drops of peppermint oil and apply it directly on the affected tooth.
- Now, massage gently with the fingertips.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and rinse well with water.
- Take some 2-3 leaves and chew them with the affected tooth and extract the juice.
- For best results you can repeat it 2-3 times per day.
Method 8: (Oregano oil)
Oregano oil has antibacterial and anti-oxidant properties, which prevents bacterial growth in the mouth. It is one of the best home remedy that reduces the swelling and pain of the abscessed tooth. Oregano oil is proved to provide permanent treatment to the tooth problems.
How to use?
- Take 2 or 3 drops of oregano oil in a bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball into it and keep that cotton on the affected area for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Then, remove the cotton and allow the oil to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Afterwards you can wash it with water.
- For best results you can repeat it thrice a day.
Method 9: (Fenugreek Tea)
Fenugreek has antibacterial properties, which kills the bacteria and avoids any kind of infection. It is also one of the best herbs to treat swelling and pain of the abscessed tooth.
How to use?
- Take half cup of warm water and add ½ teaspoon of fenugreek powder.
- Mix it thoroughly and dip a cotton ball in it.
- Now, keep that cotton ball on the affected tooth for 10 minutes.
- Then, remove the cotton ball and wash your mouth after 15 minutes.
- You can repeat it twice a day.
Method 10: (Thyme oil)
Thyme has antifungal and antiseptic properties that fights against bacteria and treats infection. It is also helpful in reducing the pain and strengthens the gums.
How to use?
- Take a cotton ball and apply thyme oil to the affected area.
- After 10 minutes you can just wash your mouth with water.
- Alternatively you can even add few drops of thyme oil with water and gargle.
Tips and precautions:
- Always brush your teeth twice a day and use high quality tooth brush.
- Prefer using fluoride toothpaste, fluoridated drinking water and fluoride mouth wash to prevent the infection and bacterial growth.
- Applying a cloth with ice wrapped in it will provide relief against the swelling and pain.
- Apart from the things mentioned above there are few more natural remedies such as apple cider vinegar, potato, olive oil, calendula, papaya, turmeric etc.
- Drinking wheatgrass juice on empty stomach will give relief from tooth pain and abscess tooth.
- Try to limit the intake of sugar and sweeteners as they may harm your teeth.
- Avoid caffeine, which increases the blood sugar level and may affect teeth.
- It is always safe to consult dentist regularly to get rid of abscess tooth and prevent further growth of bacteria.
Frequently asked questions:
1. Can abscess go away without draining?
If abscess is small it usually dries up, shrinks and disappear itself without any treatment. In case if it is larger then, it requires diagnosis and medical treatment.
2. How can i get immediate soothing for abscess tooth?
One of the easiest home remedy is to gargle using warm water and salt. It provides immediate soothing and reduces swelling of tooth.
3. Can tooth abscess make you feel sick?
If abscess infection is left untreated then, it can worsen the symptoms and leads to severe problems. It may cause vomiting, nausea, intolerable pain etc,
4. What is the best natural antibiotic used for treating tooth abscess?
Natural antibiotics are effective and safe because they don’t have any side effects. If you want to use natural antibiotics then, you can use cloves, hydrogen peroxide etc.
5. What are symptoms of abscess?
Symptoms include swelling, redness of skin, pain, chills, high temperature etc. Symptoms may vary from person to person and they may become severe if untreated in the initial stages.
6. Can tooth abscess lead to brain infection?
Tooth abscess in an infection affecting your gums and this infection may spread to jaw bone and cause all your teeth to fall. Sometimes, it also spreads through blood vessels and cause brain abscess.
7. What are the steps followed in treatment of tooth abscess?
There are various steps involved in the treatment of tooth abscess starting from draining the pus, controlling the infection and removing the cause of the infection. If tooth abscess has become severe then, it may lead to gum surgery, root canal treatment and pulling the tooth.
However, tooth abscess is not a serious problem if it is treated in the initial stages. For initial treatment you can follow the natural methods which are very safe. They provide you with relief against the pain, swelling and other problems related to tooth abscess.
If you have any queries write to us in the comment section below. Our team of experts will surely reply you back as soon as possible.
Leave a Reply