We generally use our hands in almost everything we do in our daily activities. They are exposed to constant washing, certain harmful elements, pollution and get strained. Most of the people won’t take proper care of their hands, which in turn results in dry and rough hands.
Dry air, prolonged sun exposure, low humidity, cold weather, usage of harsh products, skin problems (allergies, psoriasis, eczema, etc.), certain medications, exposure to harmful chemicals, improper hand care, swimming in chlorinated pools, excessive hand washing, etc. are some causes that make the hands dry and rough.
Who doesn’t want to have smooth and soft hands? If you’re one among those people having dry and rough hands then stop worrying and start following these natural remedies for treating your dry and rough hands.
Home Remedies for Dry and Rough Hands:
You can easily soften your hands with the usage of these natural remedies along with proper skin care routine. Follow these remedies to enjoy smooth, soft and young looking hands.
Remedy – 1: (Olive Oil)
The antioxidants and healthy fatty acids in olive oil help to moisturize the dry hands. It hydrates your skin to make it soft and supple and thereby reduces the aging signs.
Here are some olive oil methods for treating dry and rough hands.
- Slightly warm some olive oil and massage the oil gently on your hands for 5 – 10 minutes to absorb the oil into the skin. Continue it for twice daily till you get satisfied results and then use this method occasionally to maintain those soft and smooth hands.
- Also, you can use any other natural oils (like coconut oil, almond oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, castor oil or vitamin E oil) instead of olive oil to massage your hands.
- Sugar exfoliates the skin and sloughs off the dead skin cells to clear roughness. Mix 1 – 2 tablespoons each of olive oil and sugar to make a scrub paste. Use it to rub your hands in circular motions for a couple of minutes. Wait for 3 – 5 minutes and rinse off with warm water. Dry it and apply a light moisturizer.
- You can also use salt instead of sugar in the above homemade scrub mix to soften your hands.
Remedy – 2: (Honey)
Honey is enriched with antioxidants, humectant and antimicrobial properties that help to lock the moisture and thereby keeps your hands smooth and soft. It is natural moisture that delays the signs of aging on your hands.
Here are some ways of using honey for treating dry and rough hands.
- Mix equal quantities of raw honey and glycerin. Apply this mix on your hands and rinse off with lukewarm water after 10 – 15 minutes. Pat dry your hands and repeat daily.
- Apply some raw honey on your hands and massage gently. Wash your hands with lukewarm water after 10 – 15 minutes. Repeat it for 1 – 2 times daily till you get soft hands.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and few drops of fresh lemon juice in 2 teaspoons of honey. Stir well and apply it on your hands. Rinse it with warm water after 15 – 20 minutes. Pat dry and apply moisturizer. Do the same process regularly for 2 – 3 times a week.
- Add some raw honey and olive oil in a 1/2 overripe mashed banana. Stir well and apply it on the dry hands and wait for 15 – 20 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water followed by cold water to lock the moisture in your skin.
Remedy – 3: (Oatmeal)
Oatmeal acts as a natural exfoliating and cleansing agent that helps to clear rough dead cells and moisturize your skin to prevent dryness. It has protein rich content that hydrates the skin by preventing water loss.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ground oatmeal and 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of raw honey in a bowl.
- You can also add few drops of fresh lemon juice (optional) in it.
- Stir well by adding enough water to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on your hands and rub it gently for few minutes.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
- Repeat the same process regularly for once a week.
Remedy – 4: (Milk Cream)
Milk cream has high-fat content that makes it as a natural moisturizer. The lactic acid content helps to exfoliate the dry skin and also maintain the balance of the skin’s pH levels for proper moisturizing.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour in 2 teaspoons of milk cream to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on your hands and massage gently for a minute or two.
- Wait for 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Dry your hands and continue doing the same process for 2 – 3 times a week.
Note: Or simply rub fresh milk cream on your hands and wash off with lukewarm water after 10 – 15 minutes. Do it daily to get rid of dry and rough hands.
Remedy – 5: (Lemon Juice)
Lemon acts as a natural skin cleanser that not only softens your dry and rough hands but also improves the skin tone by lightening up the skin spots on the hands. Baking soda balances the pH levels of the skin and also exfoliates the skin to clear dead cells and to enhance the new skin cells.
- Rinse your hands with mild soap and warm water. Pat dry it with a soft towel.
- Mix equal quantities (2 teaspoons) of baking soda, raw honey and lemon juice to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on your hands and rub it gently for a couple of minutes.
- Let it sit for 8 – 10 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry your skin and apply a light moisturizer.
- Do the same process regularly for 2 – 3 times a week.
Note: Or add some honey and juice of 1 lemon in a small tub filled with lukewarm water. Stir and soak your hands in it for 10 minutes. Dry it and apply some vitamin E oil to your hands.
Remedy – 6: (Yogurt)
Yogurt has a natural hydrating property that helps you to combat your dry and rough hands. It has lactic acid that makes it as a naturally exfoliating and cleansing agent which in turn removes rough and dead skin cells.
- Add 1 tablespoon of gram flour in 3 teaspoons of plain yogurt and stir well to make a fine paste.
- Apply on your hands and massage gently for a couple of minutes.
- Let it dry for another few minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the same regularly for 1 – 2 times a week.
Note: Or simply apply fresh plain yogurt on the hands and massage it gently for 5 minutes. Wash your hands after 10 minutes with warm water. Repeat it once daily till you observed best results.
Do’s and Don’ts:
- Aloe vera is a natural moisturizer that helps to retain moisture on the dry and rough skin. Apply a freshly extracted aloe vera gel on your hands and massage gently. Rinse off with lukewarm water after 10 – 15 minutes. Continue this aloe gel application for 1 – 2 times daily.
- Avocado is rich in vitamins A, C & E along with monounsaturated fats that reduce dry or sagging skin. Mix pulp of 1/2 a ripe avocado in 1 tablespoon of honey and rub it on your hands. Wash it off after 10 – 15 minutes using cool water.
- Also, banana has a moisturizing property that hydrates your skin and treats wrinkles. Mash 1 overripe banana and apply it on your hands. Rinse with lukewarm water after 30 minutes and apply moisturizer.
- Exfoliate your hands for at least once a week and also avoid using any harsh soaps or products for your hands.
- Protect your hands from further damage by wearing cotton gloves while doing gardening or household work.
- Apply petroleum jelly or shea butter or cocoa butter or other hand moisturizer or cream at night before bedtime and wear gloves overnight.
- Include plenty of water and foods that are high in nutrients and proteins to keep your body (hands) well moisturized.
- Massage your overall part of the hands for 10 minutes daily to enhance proper blood circulation and thereby to prevent roughness and dryness. Also, wear sunscreen lotion to protect your hands from harmful UV rays.
Try these natural ways to get rid of dry and rough hands. Do you know any other remedies for treating dry and rough hands? Then share it with us in the below comments box.