Tinnitus – a condition of hearing constant ringing sounds or noises in the ear when no one else can hear. It is not a serious health problem but causes frustration whenever you’re experiencing those hissing, clicking, ringing or other weird sounds.
This problem is caused due to various reasons like exposure to loud noise, blockage of earwax, ear infection or injury, moving in flights (high altitudes), nutritional deficiencies, age-related hearing loss, certain health problems, respiratory problems, etc.
This condition makes us unable to concentrate on anything. The exact cause of this tinnitus is not known. Don’t worry about it and rush for using over the counter medications, as there are many natural remedies used to treat your problem.
Home Remedies for Tinnitus:
Here are the best and most widely used remedies for treating tinnitus. All you need to follow them regularly for getting faster relief from the problem.
Remedy – 1: (Ginkgo Biloba)
Ginkgo biloba is a best herbal remedy that improves blood circulation which in turn reduces the ringing sensation and improves the functioning of your ear to get rid of tinnitus. It also has antimicrobial properties that prevent the underlying infections causing this problem.
- You can easily buy this herb from health stores or herbal drug stores.
- Take 120 – 240 mg of ginkgo biloba extract that contains 24 – 32% flavonoids and 6 – 12% terpenoids.
- Consume it daily in 3 – 4 divided doses for at least 5 – 6 weeks to get relief from the problem.
- Be sure to consult your doctor before taking this herb if you’re using any medications, as this may interact with certain medications.
Remedy – 2: (Castor Oil)
Castor oil exhibits antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against the ear infections and heals pain. It also restores the proper functioning of your ear by strengthening your immune system for treating tinnitus.
- Pour few drops of pure castor oil inside the ear using a dropper.
- Cover the ear with a cotton ball and leave it for few minutes.
- Do this process regularly for few days to get rid of tinnitus.
Note: Also, use any warm natural oils like olive oil, coconut oil or garlic infused sesame oil instead of castor oil to get relief from tinnitus.
Remedy – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that treat any underlying infection causing tinnitus. It also balances your pH levels by restoring the acid – alkaline levels.
- Add a little honey and 2 teaspoons of organic ACV in 1 glass of water (prefer lukewarm water).
- Stir well and drink this to heal the problems from inside.
- Continue drinking it for 2 – 3 times daily till your ear stops experiencing those ringing sensations.
Remedy – 4: (Onions)
Onions have vitamins (A & C), quercetin and chromium that strengthen the immune system to prevent free radicals and to regulate your blood circulation to get rid of ear pain or infection.
- Blend an onion into a paste form and squeeze the paste to extract its juice.
- Then pour 2 – 3 drops of this onion juice into the affected ear using an ear dropper.
- Let it sit for 5 – 7 minutes and turn your head down to drain out the juice.
- Repeat the same process for few times a week till you get relief from tinnitus.
Remedy – 5: (Mustard Oil)
Mustard oil acts as a natural rubefacient that increases blood circulation and reduces the pain in your ear. It has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that prevent ear infections and helps to remove the buildup of earwax easily.
- Warm some mustard oil slightly in a microwave or in a double boiler.
- Then pour few drops of this warm oil (but not hot) directly into the infected ear.
- Let the oil sit for 7 – 10 minutes and then tilt your head to the other side for the oil to drain out.
- Use a cotton ball or q – tip to remove the oil and the wax.
- Continue doing the same for once daily till you get recovered from these ringing sensations.
Remedy – 6: (Diet Plan)
Diet plays a major role in curing any health or beauty problems. So, here is the diet to be followed for getting rid of tinnitus.
- Consume foods that are rich in vitamin A, as it is essential for the functioning of the inner ear which in turn responsible for transmission and reception of sounds. Foods like pumpkin, carrots, etc. should be included.
- Include more of garlic, kelp, leafy green, raw fruits, cooked legumes and vegetables that are rich in vitamins, amino acids, and polyphenols which are essential to calm down your inner ear nerves.
- Intake of vitamin B like wheat, chicken, spinach, sweet potato, cabbage, salmon, bran, etc. will be beneficial in treating tinnitus.
- Include cereals, meat, proteins, and banana along with manganese, copper, iron, sulfur, and iodine rich foods.
Avoid the intake of sugar, dairy products, fatty acids and processed foods from your diet.
- Pineapple has bromelain enzyme and other vitamins that reduce the inflammation. So, consume pineapple as a part of your diet to get rid of the tinnitus.
- Drinking certain herbal teas like ginger tea, green tea, oregano tea, dried passion flower tea, etc. will help you to get rid of tinnitus. Also, avoid or limit the intake of caffeine, as it reduces blood flow.
Tips and Precautions:
- Pouring 2 – 3 drops of fresh basil juice into the affected ear for twice daily will help to soothe the irritated ear.
- Nasal saline solution will help to treat sinusitis caused by blocked nasal passage in the sinuses. So, mix 1 teaspoon each of glycerin and salt in 2 cups of warm water. Use it to spray into each nostril till it drains back into the throat and also spray it into your throat to get rid of the problem.
- Co-Enzyme Q10 helps to improve blood circulation, neutralizes free radicals and strengthens your immune system to treat tinnitus. The recommended dosage of co-enzyme Q10 is 200 – 300 mgs, available in capsules or tonic forms at most of the pharmacies.
- Apply a heating pad or warm compress on the ear to relieve your pain and pressure inside the ear.
- Quit smoking and stop drinking alcohol along with limiting the intake of pain relievers like aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.
- Avoid exposure to loud noises or else wear some ear protection. Also, use white noise or low music to distract yourself from those ringing sounds.
- Practice some relaxation techniques like yoga or deep breath therapy or meditation to reduce the stress and thereby tinnitus.
- Maintain a healthy weight to get rid of any health or beauty problems, including tinnitus.
- Get plenty of sleep and also try acupuncture, acupressure and hypnosis to get rid of this problem.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get any relief from the problem, for proper diagnose and treatment.
Follow these remedies and tips to get relief from tinnitus. Do you know any other remedies for treating tinnitus? Then share it with us in the below comments box.