The liver is a vital organ and a gland in the body that is responsible for performing many essential functions like metabolism, immunity, digestion, removes harmful toxins, regulates the composition of blood and stores nutrients (vitamins, iron, and sugar glucose) and secrete chemicals that required by the body to survive.
It also breaks down insulin, hemoglobin and other hormones along with destroying old red blood cells and develops certain chemicals that are essential for clotting the blood properly. So, the liver will perform so many functions for maintaining a healthy body.
But do you know that an unhealthy diet and poor lifestyle will become overload to the liver that makes it unable to clear toxins and thereby its functions? This will result in chronic fatigue, digestive disorders, obesity, headaches, cardiovascular disease, allergies and others.
Don’t worry, there are many foods that cleanse, rejuvenate and detoxify the liver and thereby helps for its healthy functioning.
Best Liver Cleansing Superfoods:
Here is the list that covers the best superfoods which are widely used to cleanse your liver. Go through these foods and include them in your diet to enhance your liver functioning.
Garlic helps to activate enzymes in the liver that clear out the toxins with its natural compounds known as allicin and selenium. So, garlic helps in liver cleansing and protects it from toxic damages. Garlic is also effective in reducing cholesterol and triglyceride levels that prevent overload on the liver.
- Consume 2 – 3 raw garlic cloves daily and also include the garlic in your daily diet.
- Make sure to use fresh raw garlic rather than minced or processed or powdered garlic for best results.
- Also, consult your doctor to know about garlic supplements and its dosage as per your health.
Lemon has D-limonene, an antioxidant that activates the enzymes in the liver and aids in detoxification. Vitamin C content in lemon helps to produce more enzymes that are essential for the mineral absorption and aids in proper digestion.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon in 1 glass of water.
- Stir well and drink it to get rid of the problem.
- Also, add a little honey and prefer lukewarm water for best results.
- Drink this lemon water at regular intervals (prefer once in the early morning) to detoxify your liver.
Grapefruit has a rich source of vitamin C and pectin that aids in the natural cleansing process of your liver. It has a powerful antioxidant called glutathione that helps to neutralize free radicals and thus detoxify your liver.
It has naringenin flavonoid that breaks down your fat and enhances your liver functioning. If you’re on medications, then consult your doctor before using this food, as it interacts with certain medications.
- Drink 1 small glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice.
- Also, consume the whole fruit along with your breakfast.
- Do it daily for few days to cleanse your liver and to enhance its functioning.
Turmeric is a golden herb that works well in cleansing your liver and also aids in proper digestion. It contains curcumin which helps for the formation of glutathione S – transferase, a liver detoxification enzyme. It is also effective in regenerating the damaged liver cells.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 glass of water.
- Stir well and boil it for few minutes.
- Drink this turmeric water for twice daily until few weeks to get rid of the problem.
- Or use milk instead of water and drink turmeric milk regularly.
- Also, include turmeric in your daily cooking to grab the liver detoxifying benefits.
Beetroots have a high content of beta – carotene and plant flavonoids that stimulate your liver functioning. It also acts as natural blood purifiers that effectively cleanse and support your liver function.
- Add 1 cup of chopped or grated beetroots, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and the juice of 1/2 a lemon in a bowl.
- Stir well to make it as a salad and consume 2 teaspoons of this salad.
- Repeat consuming this salad for every 2 hours during the day and continue it for a week to cleanse your liver.
Walnuts have a rich source of L-arginine, an amino acid that helps for detoxifying ammonia in the liver. It also contains omega – 3 fatty acids and glutathione that aids for a natural liver cleansing process. Polyphenols in walnuts prevent the liver damaged that caused by d-galactosamine and carbon tetrachloride.
- Munch on a handful of walnuts as your snacks every day.
- Or include them in your diet by sprinkling over baked foods, side dish, salad, soup, breakfast cereals, etc.
- Consume it daily for best results to cleanse your liver and to maintain a healthy functioning.
7. Green Tea:
Green tea has catechins that promote lipid catabolism in the liver and thus prevents the accumulation of fat in the liver. It increases the hydration levels and protects your liver by flushing out the toxins and fat deposits.
- Drink 2 – 3 cups of green tea by adding a little honey and lemon juice.
- Daily intake of this green tea will detoxify your liver and thereby body.
- But be sure to avoid drinking excess green tea why because it results in negative impact on the liver and other parts of your body.
Avocado has rich content of glutathione that cleanses harmful toxins from the liver and enhances its functioning. It contains monounsaturated fats that reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases good cholesterol (HDL) and thus helps the liver to process good cholesterol easily.
It is enriched with many vitamins, fatty acids, minerals and plant nutrients that stimulate the overall health of the liver. So, consume 1 – 2 avocados per week and continue this for a couple of months to reverse the liver problems.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away is an old English proverb. Here eating apple will help to maintain a healthy liver with its rich content of pectin fiber. This helps to remove toxins from the intestine and thus clears cholesterol from your blood to prevent over-working of the liver.
Malic acid in apple is a natural cleansing nutrient that clears carcinogens and other toxins from your blood. Consume organic apple once or twice daily or else drink 1 glass of fresh apple juice.
Broccoli is rich in glucosinolates that help to flush carcinogens and other toxins from your body. Its Fiber content improves digestion process and the vitamin E (fat soluble and antioxidant) will carry out the functioning of your liver.
Consume 1 cup of broccoli for 3 times a week on regular basis to maintain a healthy liver.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy liquids to stay hydrated and to flush out the toxins from your body.
- Reduce animal foods and try to consume more of vegetarian foods for cutting down the strain or overload on the functioning of the liver.
- Avoid the intake of refined sugar, excess caffeine, alcohol and processed foods from your diet.
- Quit smoking, as it damages different organs in your body that includes liver.
Cleanse your liver with these superfoods to maintain a healthy functioning of the liver. Do you know any other superfoods used to cleanse your liver? Then share it with us.