Shoulder pain can be very painful and frustrating, as it makes us unable to concentrate on anything. Stiff muscles are the main reason that promotes pain in your shoulder.
Any injury to the soft muscles, tissues and ligaments of the shoulder, neck or bicep injuries, strained muscles, bursitis, arthritis, bone spurs, torn cartilage, tendinitis, spinal cord injury, frozen shoulder or certain health problems will also contribute to shoulder pain.
Everyone will experience shoulder pain at some time in their life but people using laptops, smartphones or other electronic devices for a longer time will suffer more with this problem. Other than pain, we will experience swelling and difficulty in moving the shoulder along with tenderness around the affected joints.
Instead of using OTC pain relief balms or other medicines, why can’t we opt for natural remedies that aid in relieving shoulder pain (especially for minor pains)? The Mother Nature has gifted so many natural medicines to treat various problems.
Home Remedies for Shoulder Pain:
Here are some of the best natural remedies that effectively treat your minor shoulder pain at home. Have a look at these remedies and try them regularly for few days to get rid of shoulder pain.
Remedy – 1: (Cold Compress)
A cold compress will help to alleviate your shoulder pain. This will numb the affected area and thus reduces the pain, irritation, and inflammation.
- Pour some ice cubes in a plastic bag and wrap it in a thin towel.
- Apply it on the affected shoulder and hold it for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Continue doing the same process for few times daily till you get relief from the shoulder pain.
- Or soak a clean towel in cold water and apply it on the painful shoulder.
- Avoid placing ice directly on the skin, as it causes frostbite and worsens the problem.
Remedy – 2: (Hot Compress)
Hot compress reduces the pain, swelling and inflammation of your shoulder but it has to be used after 48 hours of injury occurrence. It is effective in relieving the pain caused due to stress muscles.
- Apply a hot water bag after filling with hot water on the painful shoulder by lying down.
- Hold it on for about 10 – 15 minutes and repeat it few times daily.
Note: Or run warm water on your shoulder while showering for 5 – 10 minutes. Have this hot shower for twice daily.
Remedy – 3: (Massage)
Massage your shoulders to reduce stress, strain and pain. Also, a gentle massage will improve blood circulation and thus reduces swelling and stiffness. For best results, prefer warm oil massages like coconut, olive, mustard or sesame oil.
- Slightly warm the oil and apply it on your aching shoulders.
- Massage gently by applying light pressure for 10 – 15 minutes.
- This will encourage the proper blood flow and relieves your pain.
- Then place a warm towel on the affected area and wait for few minutes.
- Continue doing the massage therapy for few times daily till you get complete relief from the pain.
Note: It’s not advisable to massage your injured area, as it causes pain and swelling.
Remedy – 4: (Turmeric)
Curcumin in turmeric exhibits antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce your swelling and aching on the shoulder.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder in 1 – 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on the aching shoulder and massage gently.
- Wait till it dry and wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat the same process for twice daily till you got relief from the pain.
- Or mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 cup of milk and boil it for few minutes. Drink it twice daily by adding honey to it.
- Consume 250 – 500 mg of turmeric capsules for 3 times daily but consult your doctor for proper dosage as per your health condition.
Remedy – 5: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has alkalizing and anti-inflammatory properties that balance your pH level and reduces your pain and inflammation. It has all essential nutrients, enzymes, and acids which help to relieve your aching muscles.
- Mix 2 cups of raw, organic ACV in your bathtub filled with warm water.
- Soak in this warm water for about 20 – 30 minutes for once daily.
Note: Or mix 1 tablespoon of organic ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 glass of warm water. Stir well and drink it twice daily to get quick relief from the problem.
Remedy – 6: (Ginger)
Ginger warmth the body and improves blood circulation to heal shoulder pain. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce pain, swelling and inflammation of your shoulder pain.
- Boil 1 tablespoon of thin ginger slices in 1 ½ – 2 cups of water for 7 – 10 minutes.
- Strain it and stir by adding honey to it.
- Drink this ginger tea for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Or consume ginger supplements by consulting your doctor.
- Also, replace ginger with alfalfa herb to get rid of the problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- If you didn’t get any relief from this shoulder pain within few days (or) if your symptoms are worsening (or) suffering from chronic shoulder pain then it’s time to consult your doctor immediately for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Apply constant pressure on the affected area (compression) will help to reduce the pain and swelling. Use an elastic bandage or a warm wrap along with elevating your shoulder with pillows will help to get rid of the problem but don’t wrap it tightly.
- Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) will improve blood circulation and relax your shoulder muscles by relieving stress. Take Epsom salt baths for 3 times a week by simply stirring 2 cups of Epsom salt in the bathtub filled with warm water. Soak in it for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Soaking in water by adding few drops of lavender oil will help to relax your tired muscles. Also, mix few drops of lavender oil in olive oil and massage the aching shoulder to get rid of the pain.
- Give proper rest to the affected areas and also elevate the shoulder by using a few pillows to reduce the pain and swelling.
- Always try to maintain good posture which helps to heal your shoulder pain quickly and also not to get this problem again.
- Try some simple stretching exercises, acupressure or acupuncture to get rid of the problem.
- Drink a glass of warm lemon water by adding honey in it to get rid of mineral deposits in the joints (arthritis) which in turn reduces the pain in the shoulder and other body parts.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol which may slow down your healing process.
- Capsaicin has pain relieving property, so apply any gel that has 0.0125% capsaicin topically on the affected area to reduce the pain.
- Also, drink plenty of water, consume a healthy diet, include certain foods (like black sesame seeds, garlic, ginger or pepper), etc. as a part of your daily diet.
Try these natural remedies for treating your shoulder pain. Do you know any other remedies? Then share it with us.