Nails reflect cleanliness and represent the health. Generally, nails are layers of keratin, a protein used to make your hair and outer layer of skin. Manicuring nails is a great way to keep them healthy and shiny. Some believe nail polish keeps nails strong, but actually nail polish contains harmful chemicals and blocks oxygen and nutrients from the nail. Nails should be cared for both internally and externally: through proper diet and nutrients and by keeping nails clean.
Home Remedies for Shiny Nails:
These safe and simple home remedies make nails look beautiful, healthy, and shiny.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is great for your overall health. It contains linoleic acid which makes it a good moisturizer. This effectively prevents water from evaporating and makes nails look perfect and shiny.
- Mix organic olive oil and warm water in a bowl.
- Soak your nails for 5 minutes.
- Massage the nails with warm olive oil.
- Repeat regularly for best results.
Note: Alternately use freshly-squeezed lemon juice instead of water.
Avocadoes are rich in fat, nutrients, and protein which restore shine to brittle nails. Daily consumption of avocados delivers phytonutrients, minerals, and other essential vitamins to the body. Alternately apply avocado oil to the nails to protect from dryness. This oil contains anti-oxidant properties, vitamins A, B, B1, B2, D, and E, beta-carotene, and potassium which make nails healthy and shiny.
- Mix a mashed avocado and rosewater to make a paste.
- Apply to the nails and gently massage.
- Leave for 15 – 25 minutes and rinse with water.
- Repeat regularly to maintain healthy, pink and shiny nails.
- It nourishes the brittle and dull nails.
Milk is an effective remedy that cleanses nails by absorbing the milk’s nourishment.
- Warm milk in a bowl.
- Soak your nails for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
- Moisturize with hand or nail cream.
- Repeat regularly to get shiny nails.
4. Lemon Manicure
Lemon acts as a natural bleaching agent which removes stains and leaves nails shiny.
- Freshly-squeezed lemon juice – 1 to 2 tablespoon
- Vinegar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Warm water
- Tooth brush or nail brush
- Soak your nails in lemon juice for 5 minutes.
- Mix vinegar and warm water.
- Dip brush in the mixture and gently scrub your nails to remove dirt and dust from nails.
- Rinse with water and apply moisturizer, if desired.
- Repeat 1 – 2 times for two weeks to maintain healthy nails.
- Note: Dilute lemon juice with water if you have sensitive skin.
5. Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, and Lemon Juice
Coconut and olive oil have important nutrients that strengthen nails and cuticles. Lemon acts as a natural bleaching agent which removes stains and leaves nails shiny.
- Coconut oil – 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Warm water – 1/2 cup
- Lukewarm water
- Hand moisturizer or nail cream
- Pour warm water, lemon juice, olive oil, and coconut oil in a bowl.
- Soak your nails for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Apply hand or nail cream.
- Repeat weekly for healthy cuticles.
- Nails should not be treated as tools. Never use nails to open anything. This causes friction and results in broken or dull nails.
- Dry nails look dull and damaged; keep hands and nails moisturized to maintain shiny nails. Use either moisturizing creams or lotions, cuticle oil, coconut oil, olive oil, or Vaseline/petroleum jelly.
- Apply cucumber juice to get shiny nails.
- Never bite your nails as this causes damage.
- Scrub the nails weekly to remove dead cells and other impurities.
- Soaking nails in warm water can nourish nails, clears toxins, and maintain shine.
- Wear gloves while washing dishes and clothes to protect nails from harsh chemicals.
- Include the foods which are rich in B – complex, calcium, vitamins A, C &D and iron in your diet and eat fresh vegetables and fruits, greens, nuts, whole grains, etc.
Have you tried any of these methods? Do you know any other methods to achieve shiny nails? Share your experience with us!