Scar tissue is unsightly and even embarrassing beauty concern for many people. When the skin has damaged beyond its first layer then this tissue replaces the normal skin.
It occurs due to many reasons such as injury, any cuts or burns, laceration or scrapes, acne, significant weight changes, pregnancy stretch marks, incision due to surgery, fungal infections, etc.
Although it won’t cause any pain, they make us feel embarrassed, especially if the scar is there in exposed areas of the body like hands or face.
Most of the people look for various methods to get rid of scar tissues. Don’t worry? There are several natural remedies available at home that not only removes scars but also leave your skin soft and healthy.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Scar Tissue:
Avoid surgical procedures and simply follow these natural remedies for scar tissue that safely treats the problem. Remember that results depend on the severity or depth of the problem.
Remedy – 1: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil contains fatty acids and vitamin E that exhibit antioxidant property which in turn helps to prevent and reverse the free radicals damage. It stimulates collagen production and softens the hard skin to get rid of the problem.
- Slightly warm 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a microwave and take out.
- Apply this warm coconut oil on the scars affected areas.
- Massage it gently using a circular motion till the oil is absorbed by the skin.
- Leave it for few minutes and repeat the same process for several times daily.
- Also, extract vitamin E capsule and apply it on the scar for 2 – 3 times daily (or) use a vitamin E cream (or) consume vitamin E rich foods like almonds, nuts, butter, safflower oil, etc. to improve skin texture and strengthen it.
- Or replace coconut oil with raw shea butter to grab the same benefits of healing skin from scars or scar tissue.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar (ACV) will exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin cells and thus fade scars. It has astringent, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and disinfectant properties that clear the infection and reduce the scar appearance.
Here are few ways of using ACV for treating scar tissue.
- Apply raw and unfiltered ACV on the scar tissue affected area using a cotton ball. Rinse off after 10 – 15 minutes with water and dry the skin. Spread some moisturizing lotion for few times daily.
- If you’re getting any skin irritation due to direct application of ACV on the skin, then dilute ACV with water before applying.
- Mix some raw honey and organic ACV in a bowl and apply it on the affected skin using a cotton ball. Wash the applied area with water after 10 minutes. Repeat it 2 – 3 times daily.
Remedy – 3: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera is an excellent remedy for treating scars on the skin. It regenerates the skin tissues and thus reduces the appearance and size of your scars. It moisturizes and heals the skin to increase the skin’s elasticity and also reduces pain and inflammation.
- Squeeze out aloe vera gel freshly from an aloe leaf.
- Apply this gel on the scar affected skin area and massage gently.
- Leave it to dry on its own and then wash the applied area with warm water.
- Continue the application of aloe gel on the scar tissue for few times daily till you get relief from the scars on the skin.
Remedy – 4: (Essential Oils)
Essential oils have many skin benefits that help a lot to treat scar tissue. Here are few ways of using essential oils for treating scar tissue.
- Lavender oil has the skin rejuvenating property that helps to prevent scars by increasing skin cell turnover rate. Apply few drops of lavender oil on the scar and massage gently for 10 – 15 minutes till the oil penetrates into the skin deeply (or) mix equal parts of olive oil and lavender oil and apply it on the scars area for few minutes.
- Tea tree oil has skin healing properties. Mix 2 drops of tea tree oil in 1 teaspoon of olive oil (or coconut oil) and spread it on the scars. Rinse off with water after few minutes (or) wash the scar area with 1/2 cup of warm water mixed with 2 – 3 drops of tea tree oil.
- Helichrysum oil diminishes the appearance of scars with its antibacterial and skin healing properties. Mix 5 – 8 drops of helichrysum oil in any carrier oil and apply it on the scars. Rinse off after few minutes.
- Also, use any soap that contains essential oils to rinse the scar tissue areas for twice daily.
Remedy – 5: (Lemon Juice)
Alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) in lemon help to remove dead cells and regenerate new cells to repair damaged skin. It also works as a natural skin lightener that lightens up the scars and blemishes.
- Extract some fresh lemon juice and apply it on the scar tissue area using a cotton ball.
- Let it dry for 8 – 10 minutes and wash the area with water.
- Pat dry and apply some natural moisturizers to get faster relief from the problem.
- For best and quick results, use this process twice daily for several weeks.
Note: If you’ve dry or sensitive skin, then dilute lemon juice with water (or aloe vera or rose water) before application. Also, wear sunscreen before stepping out.
Remedy – 6: (Honey)
Honey acts as a natural moisturizer that stimulates tissue regeneration and thus prevents excess growth of collagen and also clears dead skin cells.
- Spread some raw honey on the scar affected area and massage gently for few minutes.
- Wait for an hour to rinse off with warm water.
- Repeat the same process for twice daily till you get complete relief from the scars.
- Or mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda in 2 tablespoons of honey to make a paste. Apply it on the scar tissue area and place a hot washcloth over the applied area. After few minutes, wipe the area and repeat 2 – 3 times a week.
- Also, cocoa butter acts as a natural moisturizer and has vitamin E that repairs damaged skin. Rub the area with a wet, coarse washcloth and massage pure cocoa butter on the affected area using circular motions. Repeat twice daily.
Remedy – 7: (Onion Extract)
Onion contains many bioflavonoids like kaempferol, quercetin, and cepalin that heals your skin by reducing the appearance of these scars.
- Extract fresh onion juice (or gel) and apply it on the scar affected areas.
- Leave it for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Repeat the onion extract gel once daily to improve your scar appearance.
Tips and Precautions:
- Scar tissue resembles like a healthy skin tissue but the difference is the fibers in it, which are arranged differently. So, it is not a harmful health or skin problem and it fades away over a period of time.
- Intake of vitamin C, zinc, and beta – carotene rich foods will help to heal the scar tissue quickly.
- Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration and also to maintain moisturized skin in and around the scar tissue.
- Never prick or scratch the tissue with your nails or any other sharp tools, as it worsens the problem and delays the healing time.
- Regular massage (or) exfoliation will help to soften the dead skin tissue and thereby reduces the size and appearance of this scar.
- Usage of silicone gel sheeting (or) pressure garments on the scar affected area will provide relief from the problem.
- Consult your doctor if any symptoms persist or getting pain on the affected area.
Hope you’ll give a trial to these natural home remedies to get relief from scar tissue. Do you know any other effective methods for scar removal? Then share it with us in the below comments box.