Oral thrush (oral candidiasis) is a condition develops due to the overgrowth of candida albicans fungus (or yeast) that accumulates on the lining of the mouth.
In general, candida yeast is present in the body in small amounts but due to weak immune system, the infection slightly raises and thus results in creamy – white lesions on the tongue or inner cheeks and if not treated on time then it spread to the roof of the mouth, tonsils or back of the throat.
It can affect anyone but more common in babies, people with weak immunity or having diabetes or wearing dentures or suffering from vaginal yeast infection or cancer are more prone to this oral thrush.
Redness, difficulty in swallowing, soreness, loss of taste and a cottony feeling are some symptoms experienced while suffering from oral thrush.
Instead of using over the counter medications, try to follow – up of a healthy diet, good oral hygiene, regular exercises, proper sleep and some effective natural remedies will help you to get rid of oral thrush.
Home Remedies for Oral Thrush:
Here are some best natural remedies that control the infection effectively and make your free from infection. Let’s get started.
Remedy – 1: (Salt)
Salt has an antimicrobial property that effectively creates an inhospitable environment for the fungus to grow and thereby clears oral yeast infection.
- Mix 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and use this water to gargle your mouth thoroughly.
- Be sure to spit it out to clear the infection.
- Continue this process for few times daily till you get complete relief from the problem.
Note: Or simply sprinkle some salt on your tongue and other yeast infected areas of the mouth. Rub it gently for few seconds by using your fingers. After that, rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water and repeat it twice daily to get rid of oral thrush.
Remedy – 2: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil has antifungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that clear the infection and reduces the discomforts that associated with thrush. Coconut oil pulling is one best way to get rid of oral problems.
- Place 1 tablespoon of extra – virgin coconut oil in your mouth in the morning.
- For best results, use this method on an empty stomach.
- Swish the oil around the mouth for 10 – 15 minutes and spit it out.
- Finally, rinse your mouth with warm water and then brush your teeth.
- Do the same once daily to maintain proper oral health and thereby to get rid of oral thrush.
Note: Or simply apply virgin coconut oil on the infected areas of the mouth using a cotton swab. Rinse your mouth and repeat the same for few times a week.
Remedy – 3: (Yogurt)
Yogurt has live or active cultures of the lactobacilli species which treats oral thrush. It also aids in proper digestion and also for best results, use plain and unsweetened yogurt.
- Rub some plain yogurt on the tongue and inside the mouth with your clean finger.
- Leave it on for 5 – 10 minutes and rinse the mouth with warm water.
- Repeat the same process for once or twice daily till you get rid of the infection.
Note: Or consume 2 – 3 cups of plain yogurt daily till you get relief from this oral thrush.
Remedy – 4: (Cinnamon)
Cinnamon has powerful antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that restrict the growth of candida albicans. It has curative effects of cinnamon oil that show a positive impact on the candida fungus.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder (or a small cinnamon stick) in 1 ½ cups of water.
- Boil it for 5 – 7 minutes and strain it.
- Drink it by adding some fresh lemon juice and regular intake of 1 – 2 cups of cinnamon tea daily.
- Or mix few drops of cinnamon oil in 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil (or any carrier oil). Apply this oil on the white patches that caused due to oral thrush. Rinse your mouth after 10 – 15 minutes.
- Pregnant women should avoid the usage of cinnamon.
Remedy – 5: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has acidic nature, enzymes and antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that control the candida infection.
It restores the pH level of the body and prevents the overgrowth of the yeast causing infection. It also boosts up the immunity levels to fight off the infection.
- Add 2 teaspoons of raw and organic ACV and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and use this water to rinse your mouth.
- Repeat it for several times daily till you get control over the thrush.
Note: Or mix 2 tablespoons of unfiltered ACV and some raw honey in 1 cup of warm water. Stir well and drink it twice daily to prevent oral thrush.
Remedy – 6: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda helps to kill the yeast and thereby restrict the overgrowth of candida fungus to prevent infection. It also helps to restore the pH level of the mouth by neutralizing the acids.
- Mix 1 – 2 teaspoons of baking soda by adding enough water to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the tongue and inner cheek area by using a cotton ball.
- Wait for few minutes and rinse off with warm water.
- Repeat the same process for 2 – 3 times daily.
Note: Or dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 glass of water. Use this baking soda water to rinse the mouth for twice daily.
Remedy – 7: (Oregano Oil)
Oregano oil restricts the growth of yeast causing oral thrush with its antifungal and antimicrobial properties. It also contains arbutin that kills off the candida to make your free from oral thrush. It also boosts up the immune system.
- Add 2 – 4 drops of oregano oil in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and stir well.
- Apply this mix on the tongue and inside the mouth where you’re suffering from oral thrush.
- Wait for 10 – 15 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
- Continue this process for twice daily till the infection cleared.
- Or mix 3 drops of oregano oil in 1 glass of water. Stir well and drink it twice daily for few days.
- Or else take oregano oil capsules after consulting the doctor to know the extract dosage as per your health.
Remedy – 8: (Olive Leaf)
Olive leaf contains powerful antifungal and antimicrobial properties that destroy the microbes causing oral thrush. The oleuropein is an active ingredient in the olive leaf that boosts up the immune system and fights against the infection.
- Steep 1 – 2 teaspoons of olive leaf in 1 cup of boiling water for 10 – 15 minutes.
- After that, strain the tea and drink this olive leaf tea.
- Daily intake of this tea for 2 – 3 times will help you to get relief from the problem.
Note: Intake of olive leaf extract (250 – 300 mg) after the prior advice of your doctor will give relief from the problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- Tea tree oil has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that control the growth of yeast fungus. Mix 4 – 5 drops of tea tree oil in 1 cup of warm water. Use this mix to gargle for 2 – 3 minutes and repeat daily.
- Garlic is an antifungal that kills the yeast in the mouth and also boosts up the immunity. Chew 2 – 3 raw garlic cloves (or) consult your doctor before taking garlic capsules (or) apply garlic oil on the affected area will help you to get relief from the infection.
- Brush your teeth twice daily, floss it once daily and go for regular checkups. Practicing good oral hygiene will help you to get control over the candida yeast and thereby prevent the infection.
- Replace the toothbrush often and clean your tongue regularly with a tongue scraper daily.
- Always manage the blood sugar levels to prevent the infections, especially if you’re diabetic.
- Remember to remove the dentures at night before bedtime and soak them overnight and put it in the morning after a thorough cleaning of dentures using a toothbrush. Rinse off with water.
- Limit the intake of sugar or sugary foods and quit smoking to prevent the growth of yeast.
- Consume a healthy and easy to swallow foods like yogurt and also sip some cool water or ice chips to get rid of discomforts caused by it.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get any relief from oral thrush for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out the toxins and to stay hydrated.
Try these natural ways to get relief from oral thrush. Do you know any other successful remedies for oral thrush? Then share it with us in the below comments box.