Our day starts with brushing the teeth, but have you wonder whether your toothpaste isn’t good for your health? The commercial toothpastes have many harmful chemicals and toxins like triclosan, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), fluoride, etc. that not only damage your teeth but also your overall health in the longer run.
Ingredients in commercial toothpaste and their effects on the teeth:
- Triclosan acts as an endocrine disruptor that changes hormone regulation.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), a foaming agent and a carcinogen that irritates your gum and contributes to gum inflammations along with causing cancer sores.
- Fluoride will affect your pineal gland, bones and also distract your brain functioning.
- Glycerin is mainly used to give paste – like consistency and it tends to coat the teeth which in turn prevents remineralization process (the mechanism of body’s natural cavity fighting).
- Titanium dioxide used to make your toothpaste white in color and it is absorbed by oral tissues and might cause some oral damage.
- Artificial coloring affect ADHD and hyperactivity in children and the highly abrasive ingredients in the toothpaste will damage the tooth enamel and thus results in teeth sensitivity, cavities, and gum recessions.
After knowing about the usage of these harmful ingredients in the commercial toothpastes, then why do we use these toothpastes which harm our teeth? Don’t we make our own homemade toothpaste’s to cleanse your teeth naturally?
Yes, we can and here are some DIY recipes for natural toothpaste, which is easy to make, cost effective, simple ingredients and extremely beneficial for oral health.
Homemade Toothpaste Recipes:
Discover these amazing natural toothpaste recipes that protect your teeth and makes it whiter and stronger. Let’s get started.
Recipe – 1: (Coconut Oil with Baking Soda, Turmeric and Peppermint Extract)
Coconut oil has rich content of lauric acid that exhibits antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties used to remove plaque and tartar on the teeth along with preventing bad breath, toothache and other gum diseases. Baking soda has an abrasive property that whitens your teeth and neutralizes the acids in your mouth to reduce bad breath and plaque.
Turmeric exhibits anti-plaque, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that keep the dental problems away and helps maintain overall oral health along with whitening the teeth. Peppermint extract prevents cavities and bad breath.
- Add 2 tablespoons each of organic virgin coconut oil and baking soda, 10 – 15 drops of peppermint extract and 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Stir well with a non-metallic spatula or spoon till it forms a smooth paste.
- Store this toothpaste in an airtight container and refrigerate it.
- Spread this paste on the toothbrush and brush your teeth for 2 – 3 minutes but don’t expect to get foam for this toothpaste.
- Finally, rinse off the mouth thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Use it regularly but if you find toothpaste dries then add some coconut oil and mix well before using.
- You can also add mineral clays like bentonite clay and stevia to this homemade toothpaste.
- Also, mix 2/3 cup of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt, filtered water and 1 – 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract. Stir it well and use it as your homemade toothpaste.
- Or mix 6 tablespoons each of coconut oil and baking soda, 1 teaspoon of stevia and 25 drops of essential oil. Pour it in a mason jar and use it as your daily toothpaste.
- Or simply mix 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 20 drops each of cinnamon (or clove) essential oil and peppermint oil, 1 tablespoon of xylitol powder and 30 drops of trace minerals. Store it in a glass jar with a lid and use it regularly as your toothpaste.
Recipe – 2: (Bentonite Clay with Calcium Powder and Baking Soda)
Bentonite clay is rich in minerals and alkaline in nature that reduces acidity in your mouth along with absorbing toxins, impurities, and heavy metals. Xylitol has the ability to reduce cavity-causing bacteria and it is also used as a sweetener. Baking soda neutralizes the acid and encourages good bacteria along with protecting the tooth enamel.
Essential oils fight against the plaque and gum problems. Calcium powder provides good minerals that strengthen and whiten your teeth. Trace minerals provide extra minerals to the paste.
- Add 5 tablespoons of calcium powder, 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 3 tablespoons of xylitol powder, 30 drops of essential oils, 20 – 30 drops of trace minerals and 3 tablespoons of distilled water.
- Stir well to make a smooth paste and then add 2 tablespoons of bentonite clay slowly till it mixed well.
- Place this toothpaste in an airtight container and use it as your regular toothpaste.
- Also, prepare a remineralizing toothpaste by mixing 5 parts of calcium powder, 2 parts of baking soda, 1 part of a diatomaceous earth (DE) and 2 parts of xylitol powder in a bowl and then add 3 – 4 parts of coconut oil and few drops of essential oils in it. Stir well and use it as your toothpaste.
- Or mix 4 tablespoons each of coconut oil and bentonite clay, 1/2 teaspoon of real sea salt, 10 – 15 drops of peppermint essential oil and 2 – 3 tablespoons of filtered water to make a paste. Use it as your toothpaste.
Recipe – 3: (Remineralizing Tooth Powder)
Bentonite clay (draws out toxins and impurities), baking soda (alkaline and removes stains), cloves powder and cinnamon powder (acts as antibacterial and taste great), calcium powder (strengthens the teeth) and mint (soothes the gum) are required to prepare this remineralizing tooth powder.
- Add 4 tablespoons of bentonite clay, 3 tablespoons of calcium powder, 2 tablespoons of powdered mint leaf, 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and cinnamon powder and 1 teaspoon of cloves powder in a bowl.
- Stir well by adding few drops of essential oils and 1 teaspoon of xylitol powder.
- Store this in a glass jar with a lid and use it as your regular tooth powder to cleanse your teeth.
Tips and Precautions:
- For best results, brush your teeth for twice daily to remove plaque and cavities and to enhance your oral health.
- Always use organic products for preparing the natural toothpaste. Also, reduce the xylitol powder and stevia in your toothpaste.
- Remember that these toothpaste recipes won’t give a foam, as there are no foaming agents present in it.
- These natural homemade toothpaste’s last for several months but for best results, prepare less amount and use it regularly.
- Other than using a glass jar, you can opt to store the paste in a plastic or piping bag and cut a little bit in the corner and squeeze it like your toothpaste.
Have you ever made your own toothpaste or any oral health products? Then share it with us in the below comments section.