Suffering from a cold, stomach problems, flu or boils? Then taking an antibiotic will cure your problem, right. Everyone knows up to this only but do you know that antibiotics are a medicine used only to treat or prevent bacterial infection? Surprising isn’t it.
Antibiotics are used to kill or inhibit the growth of bacteria and some types of parasites causing certain skin or health problems. They don’t fight against the infections caused by the virus (like cold, cough, flu, sore throats) and fungal infections.
The usage of antibiotics has been increasing in these days. However, the doctor prescribes antibiotics by depending on the specific germ causing the infection but the overuse or misuse of antibiotics will lead to antibiotic resistance.
It also kills off the good bacteria (defense bacteria) in your gut (bowel) and thus results in side effects like nausea, diarrhea, upset stomach, etc.
Do you know that there are many natural foods that act as antibiotics? These natural antibiotics will work effectively in treating bacterial, viral and fungal infections, without killing good bacteria. But for some serious infections like tuberculosis, typhoid, and others, it’s best to use natural antibiotics along with prescribed one for faster relief from the problem.
Here is the list of best natural antibiotics that help us in strengthening the immune system and thereby preventing the problem.
Antibiotic – 1: (Garlic)
Garlic has allicin (a sulfur compound) along with natural antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties that make it as a natural antibiotic. It has many essential nutrients that are beneficial to overall wellness. It also kills intestinal parasites.
- Consume 2 – 3 raw garlic cloves daily on an empty stomach.
- Include garlic in your daily diet like in curries, soups, rice items, etc.
- Take garlic supplements to protect yourself against pathogens and disease. But consult your doctor before taking this supplement.
Antibiotic – 2: (Turmeric)
Turmeric is a well known as antibiotic in Indian Ayurveda and Chinese medicine. It helps to destroy bacteria causing the problem and also promotes the natural defense of your body. It prevents bacterial infections when applied on wounds and boils.
Curcumin in turmeric will exhibit an antibiotic property that fights against microbes causing infections and diseases.
- Add 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder in 5 – 6 tablespoons of honey and stir well.
- Store this mix in an airtight container and consume 1/2 teaspoon of this mix for twice daily.
- Also, consume 400 – 600 mg of turmeric supplements twice daily after consulting your doctor to strengthen your immune system.
Antibiotic – 3: (Honey)
Honey is treated as best natural antibiotics from age old days with its antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It fights against the infection on multiple levels and thus makes it more difficult for the bacteria to develop.
The combination of osmotic effect, acidity, hydrogen peroxide, high sugar concentration and polyphenols in honey will kill the bacterial cells. But use organic, raw honey (manuka honey works well) as your natural antibiotic.
- Consume equal quantities of honey and cinnamon powder for once daily to strengthen your immunity.
- Also include honey in your tea, smoothies, juices, etc. in your daily diet.
Antibiotic – 4: (Ginger)
Ginger has a natural antibiotic property that fights against food-borne pathogens like salmonella and treats many health problems, including intestinal, respiratory and periodontal infections.
- Drink ginger tea by steeping fresh ginger pieces in 1 cup of boiling water for few minutes and strain it. Stir by adding honey and lemon juice.
- Include ginger (dry or fresh) in your daily diet (or) take ginger capsules by consulting your doctor.
Antibiotic – 5: (Oil of Oregano)
Oregano oil acts as best remedy against drug – resistant bacteria with its chemical component called carvacrol. It has antibacterial, antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral, antioxidant, antiparasitic and pain – relieving properties that will cure your problem.
- Mix few tablespoons of oregano oil in a tub filled with warm water. Soak your feet in this water daily for few minutes to get rid of foot or nail infections.
- Pour few drops of oregano oil in a pot of boiling water. Inhale the steam once daily for treating sinus, cold and other upper respiratory infections.
Antibiotic – 6: (Olive Leaf Extract)
Olive leaf extract will treat different types of bacterial infections with its antimicrobial properties. It has free – radical scavenging and anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the skin and heals the damage done by microbes in the body.
- Place a handful of chopped fresh olive oil in a glass jar.
- Pour vodka over the leaves till the leaves are completely covered.
- Close its lid and keep it aside for 4 – 5 weeks and after that, strain the liquid into another glass jar using cheesecloth.
- Use this homemade olive leaf extract is ready for external use.
- Also, take the olive leaf extract supplements in capsules form of about 250 – 500 mg for twice daily. But be sure to consult your doctor before taking this supplement.
Antibiotic – 7: (Grapefruit Seed Extract)
Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) has natural antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that help to fight against more than 800 forms of virus and bacteria and 100 forms of parasites and fungus. It also boosts up your immune system with its natural antioxidants.
- Mix few drops of GSE in 1 tablespoon of water and apply it on the affected skin area to treat skin infections.
- Pour 2 – 3 drops of this extract into your hands and massage your face with this mix after applying a thorough moisturizer to your face and hands. Rinse off after few minutes to get rid of acne and pimples.
- Mix 10 – 15 drops of grapefruit seed extract in 1/2 glass of water. Stir well and drink it for 2 – 3 times daily to get internal relief.
Antibiotic – 8: (Echinacea)
Echinacea herb strengthens your body’s defense system which in turn helps to fight against microbes and germs causing several infections.
- Drink 1 – 2 cups of Echinacea tea once daily to ward off the bacterial infections.
- Apply cream or ointment containing Echinacea topically on the disinfected areas for few times daily to treat the bacteria related skin problem and open wounds.
- Take 300 mg of Echinacea supplements for 2 -3 times daily by consulting your doctor to get rid of the problem.
- Be sure that this herb may not be suitable for some people, those who are suffering from autoimmune disorders. So, consult your doctor first and then go with this herb for strengthening your immunity.
Antibiotic – 9: (Goldenseal)
Goldenseal has a natural antibiotic property that has works well in treating both internal and topical bacterial infections. It has berberine that fights against various types of bacteria causing health problems.
It also activates the white blood cells to strengthen your immunity and to fight against the infection.
- Steep 1 teaspoon of goldenseal powder in 1 cup of hot water and strain it. Drink this warm goldenseal tea for once daily to get relief from bacteria internally.
- Mix enough vitamin E oil (from capsules) in 1 teaspoon of goldenseal powder to make a paste. Apply this paste on the affected area for thrice daily to get rid of the problem externally.
- Also, be sure that not to take some time gap after taking this herb internally for few weeks, as it should not be taken continuously at a time.
Antibiotic – 10: (Indian Lilac or Neem)
Indian lilac is an effective natural antibiotic that fight against the bacteria causing various skin problems like acne and oral problems like plaque, gingivitis, cavities and other gum problems.
- Use skin care products that contain neem as their main ingredients (or apply neem paste obtained by crushing few neem leaves) topically on the affected skin areas to get rid of skin infections.
- Also, consume neem tablets that remove the accumulated toxins from your body along with parasitic organisms. But consult your doctor for proper dosage.
Try these natural antibiotics to get relief from the problems rather than simply taking over the counter antibiotics. Do you know any other natural antibiotics? Then share it with us.