Mucocele (mucous cyst or oral cyst or ranula) is a clear bump inside the mouth. It commonly develops on the lips, the floor of your mouth, tongue or roof of the mouth.
These cysts are small and painless which can burst on their own and heals within few days. It occurs when the salivary gland is blocked or injured due to some kind of trauma like an injury from a blow or blunt objects, accidental biting off a soft tissue inside the mouth, etc.
Poor dental hygiene, repeated biting of inner lip area and cheek due to stress, some mouth burns or infections, lower lip piercing, certain drugs that thicken saliva, etc. are some causes for this mucous cyst.
It results in the excess production of saliva in the mouth which in turn causes a lot of discomfort in speaking or eating. These are round in shape that appears in whitish or bluish in color.
There are some natural remedies which help you to treat these mucous cysts at home. Have a look at these remedies.
Home Remedies for Mucocele (Mucous Cyst)
Here are the best remedies that widely used to treat mucocele effectively.
Remedy – 1: (Glycerin)
Glycerin (vegetable glycerin) has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against the microbes causing these cysts. It also moisturizes the area for getting quick relief from the problem.
- Apply vegetable glycerin on the cyst affected area using a cotton swab.
- Let it sit for few minutes and rinse your mouth with cool water.
- Continue the same process for 3 – 4 times daily.
Note: Or simply use a glycerin based mouthwash for several times in a day till you get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 2: (Moist Tea Bag)
Tannic acid in tea exhibits some astringent property that speeds up the healing process. It also has an anti-inflammatory property that reduces the pain, irritation, and swelling caused by the cyst.
- Prepare a tea using a tea bag and squeeze the tea bag to remove excess tea.
- Refrigerate the used tea bag for few minutes and place it on the affected area for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Repeat the same process for 2 – 3 times daily till you get relief from the oral cyst.
Remedy – 3: (Turmeric)
Curcumin in turmeric has antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that heal these oral cysts effectively.
- Mix enough milk in 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on the affected area using clean fingers or a cotton ball.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water after 30 minutes.
- Do the same for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Or dab some fresh turmeric juice on the cyst for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Also, mix 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 teaspoon of raw honey to make a paste. Apply it on the affected area and gargle it with lukewarm water after 15 – 20 minutes.
- Or else, applying manuka honey (at night before bedtime) will give relief from the mucous cyst.
Remedy – 4: (Sage)
Sage has an astringent property that dries the cyst and heals the problem quickly. It has many calming properties that help you to reduce the discomfort associated with a mucous cyst.
- Mix 2 – 3 teaspoons of dried or fresh sage leaves in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Cover it and let it steep for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Strain it and let it cool down for another few minutes.
- Use this mix as your mouthwash to rinse your mouth for several times daily.
Note: Never ever swallow this homemade mouth rinse.
Remedy – 5: (Castor Oil)
Castor oil has an anti-inflammatory property that helps to reduce the pain, swelling, and inflammation which is associated with large oral cysts. It also keeps the area moisturized and prevents dryness and irritation.
- Mix equal quantities of raw honey and castor oil.
- Apply it all over the affected cyst using a cotton ball.
- Wash your mouth with lukewarm water after 10 minutes.
- Continue the process for 2 – 3 times daily till you get rid of the problem.
Note: Or you can also apply evening primrose oil (have antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties) on the cysts for twice daily (or simply break a capsule and apply it). Leave it for overnight and rinse off in next morning.
Remedy – 6: (Alum)
Hydrated potassium aluminum sulphate is termed as Alum. It helps a lot in clearing the mucous cyst by drying the fluid in the cyst and also prevents its recurrence.
- Apply some alum on the cyst using a cotton ball.
- Wait for 4 – 5 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Repeat it regularly till you get rid of the infection.
Some Other Remedies:
- Salt is very effective in removing all the mucous and reducing the pain or swelling to clear mucocele. Mix 1/2 tablespoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water. Use it as your mouthwash for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Ice will numb the area and relieves you from the pain and swelling of large oral cysts. Wrap a thin washcloth with ice cubes and place it on the affected area for 1 – 2 minutes (or) simply sip some cold water to ease the discomfort.
- You can also apply some soothing ingredients like fresh aloe vera gel, raw honey or yogurt on the affected area to get rid of the problem.
- Tea tree oil exhibits antiseptic, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to clear mucocele. Mix few drops of tea tree oil in honey and apply it on the affected areas. Rinse off after few minutes with water.
- Myrrh has a natural antiseptic property that treats mucocele effectively. Apply the diluted tincture of myrrh on the cyst using a cotton swab. Rinse off after 2 – 4 seconds (or) use it as your mouthwash.
- Licorice root forms a protective layer over the affected area to get rid of pain and irritation. It also exhibits antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Mix 1 tablespoon of licorice powder with 2 cups of hot water for a couple of hours. Strain it and use it as your mouth rinse (or) apply licorice root powder on the affected area directly.
Tips and Precautions:
- The difference between canker sores and mucocele is that mucocele appears as raised blisters whereas canker sores are open sores or ulcers.
- Always consult your doctor for proper diagnose any mouth cyst to rule out some serious conditions.
- Avoid biting lip or cheek, as it causes the recurrence of the problem. Make a habit of chewing on sugarless gum to prevent biting the lip or cheek area.
- Be sure that the cyst should not get infected deeply and always use some necessary preventive steps to get rid of the cysts.
- It’s best to follow the proper dental hygiene to prevent these oral cysts or sores inside the mouth.
- Avoid consuming any spicy or oily foods or foods that irritate the damaged tissue of your mouth for few days till you get complete relief from the problem.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet (like foods rich in vitamin C like orange and lemons) to get quick relief from the problem.
Try these natural home remedies to get rid of mucocele (or Mucous Cyst) and share your experience with us in the below comments box.