Healthy and well-moisturized skin is a desire to everyone. Do you know that dry skin will allow (welcome) so many microbes and impurities to get into the body easily?
It is a fact that most of the people are unknown of it. Also, the skin will moisturize itself regularly to shred the dead cells, clear impurities and to act as a protective barrier.
At certain times like cold air of winter, seasonal changes in the weather, environmental pollutants, harmful sun’s UV rays, etc. will make your skin very dry and if left untreated then it results in itching, dry patches, dullness, wrinkles and thereby result in many other skin problems.
Also, remember that it is not that people with dry skin only has to apply moisturizer but people with normal, oily and combination skin will have to moisturize their skin regularly.
So, no matter of the season, we have to apply moisturizer daily to keep the skin glowing and hydrating. It also helps to delay the fine lines and other aging signs.
There are many moisturizers available in the market but do you know that there are many natural ingredients that work well when compared to expensive pre-packaged moisturizers at low cost without any side effects.
Now, let’s have a look at the best natural ingredients that moisturizes the skin and keeps it soft and supple.
Natural Moisturizers for the Skin:
Here are some best natural moisturizers that contain all essential nutrients to keep your skin well moisturized.
1. Natural Oils:
The natural oils will act as natural moisturizers that provide deep hydration to prevent dry and itchy skin. They are rich in vitamins (A & E) and fatty acids which help to lock the moisture and make your skin smooth and supple.
Here you can use any of natural oils like coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, castor oil, baby oil, sesame oil, etc. For better absorption, warm up the oil before applying on the skin.
How to Apply:
- Apply this lukewarm natural oil on all over your skin.
- Massage gently for few minutes till the oil penetrates and gets well absorbed by the skin.
- Let it sit for about 30 – 45 minutes (prefer you can leave for overnight by applying it at night before bedtime).
- After that, take your shower or bath and dry your skin thoroughly.
- Do this oil massage once daily to enjoy hydrated and smooth skin.
Check out more on How to deal with Dry Skin using Coconut Oil
2. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera is enriched with vitamins (A & E) and has skin soothing and antimicrobial properties that treat dried, flaking and irritated skin. It also forms a protective layer which helps to keep the skin hydrated and free from any impurities.
How to apply:
- Take an aloe leaf and cut it to open the leaf. Scoop out the gel and apply it on the skin. Massage gently and let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Also, mix the gel from 1 aloe leaf in 1/2 cup of organic coconut oil. Stir well and store the mix in an airtight container. Refrigerate and apply it 1 – 2 times daily.
- You can replace aloe vera with cucumber juice. Also, blend cucumber juice with yogurt and apply it as your hydrating mask. Rinse off with lukewarm water after 15 minutes.
How wise you decided to use honey as your natural sweetener, the same will be if you decide to use honey to moisture your skin.
Honey acts as a natural humectant that helps to retain the moisture in the skin. It is a natural emollient that penetrates into the deep layers of the skin to keep it hydrated.
How to apply:
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of raw honey and whole milk in a bowl. Stir well and apply it on all over the skin. Leave for 10 minutes and take your shower or bath. Repeat it daily.
- If you suffer from an extremely dry skin then spread a layer of honey on the affected skin areas and wait for 15 – 20 minutes to rinse off with lukewarm water. Pat dry and repeat it 3 – 4 times daily.
Just like honey, glycerin also acts as a natural humectant that attracts water and retains moisture on the skin. So, we generally use glycerin soaps during winter to prevent dryness and keep it moisturized.
How to apply:
- Mix equal quantities of glycerin and water (prefer rosewater) in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply it on all over the skin at night before bedtime.
- Leave it on for overnight and take your shower with lukewarm water in the next morning.
- Rinse it off thoroughly and continue this application as needed to keep your skin nourished and hydrated.
Avocado is a super food that effectively used to moisturize your skin. It acts as an emollient that lubricates and restores the natural moisture to the skin. It is enriched with vitamins that protect the skin from the damaged caused by free radicals and oxidative stress.
How to apply:
- Mash a small ripe avocado thoroughly by using a fork.
- Apply this mashed avocado directly on all over the skin.
- Rinse off with water after 10 – 15 minutes and apply it daily or few times a week by depending on your skin dryness.
- You can also add some honey and milk to this mashed avocado and apply it on the skin to treat severe dry skin.
6. Milk / Milk Cream:
Milk/milk cream is an ancient remedy used to moisturize the skin along with making smooth, glowing and flawless. It gets absorbed quickly into the skin pores and moisturizes the skin for a longer time.
The lactic acid will exfoliate the skin gently to remove dry and dead skin cells and to make you experience fresh glowing skin.
How to apply:
- Apply milk or milk cream on all over the skin but concentrate more on the over dried skin areas.
- Massage gently for few minutes and let it sit for another 10 – 15 minutes.
- Wash the skin with lukewarm water and repeat it regularly for 2 – 3 times in a week.
- You can also use buttermilk or yogurt instead of whole fat milk or milk cream for moisturizing your skin.
Applying natural butters like shea butter, cocoa butter, and mango butter will moisturize the skin naturally for a longer period of time. They are enriched with essential nutrients and fatty acids to keep the skin well hydrated.
Along with dry skin, they also used to treat other skin ailments like sunburn, eczema, dermatitis, etc. For best results, you have to use 100% pure butter.
How to apply:
- Take some natural butter into your palm and rub it to melt the butter.
- Apply it all over the skin by massaging it gently for few minutes till the skin absorbs it properly.
- Let it sit for 2 hours to overnight and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat it as needed to maintain your skin well moisturized.
8. Overripe Banana:
Banana has high water content and rich amount of potassium and vitamins (E & B) that helps to moisture the damaged skin cells, reverse the aging signs and protect the skin from the damage from free radicals, harsh weather, and sun’s UV rays.
How to apply:
- Take an overripe banana and mash it well by using a fork till it forms a thick paste without any lumps.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of honey and spread it all over the skin.
- Wait for 30 minutes and wash the applied skin areas with lukewarm water.
- Continue applying this banana mash regularly for 2 – 3 times a week.
Tips and Suggestions:
- Always prefer shower or bath with lukewarm water rather than cold or hot water, as they dry your skin easily.
- Dry your skin thoroughly with a soft towel after taking your shower and also use a natural and mild soap to prevent the skin dryness.
- The best time to apply any moisturizing lotion is after your bath or shower, as it is ready to absorb it quickly and lasts longer.
- Drink plenty of water to stay your skin and body well hydrated.
- Run a humidifier to add moisture to the air and thereby to prevent over dryness caused by cold weather.
- Avoid the exposure of your skin to the cold outdoors or hot indoor temperatures, as both of these, will make the skin prone to dryness.
- Using a moisturizer with SPF will help to protect the skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays damage.
- Make sure to conduct a skin patch test if you’re unsure that ingredients causing any skin irritation or allergic reaction.
- Consult your doctor if you’re suffering from extremely dry and brittle skin problem, for proper diagnose and treatment.
Include all these natural moisturizers in your skin care routine to enjoy soft, glowing and moisturized skin and to say goodbye to dry, dull and unhealthy skin.
Have you used any of these natural skin moisturizers? Do you think any ingredient I missed mentioning in this list? Then share it with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply