Lupus is a chronic inflammatory and an autoimmune disease that caused due to the attack of the immune system on the body’s own healthy tissues and organs (unable to distinguish its own tissues from foreign invaders).
The inflammation will affect different parts of the body like skin, joints, blood cells, heart, kidneys, brain, and lungs.
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is the most common type of lupus. There is no exact cause for this lupus but some experts say that it can be a combination of environmental factors and genetics. Stress, chronic infections, sunlight and certain medications can also trigger lupus.
However, diagnosing lupus is very difficult why because it exhibits the symptoms which often mimic with other health ailments like fever, fatigue, joint pains and stiffness, photosensitivity, fingers turns to blue or white while exposed to cold or stress, difficulty in breathing, chest pain, headache, dry eyes, butterfly-shaped rashes on the face with wings that unfold the cheeks (distinctive symptom), etc.
The symptoms may vary from one to another and also there is no cure for lupus but we can control the symptoms like reducing pain, minimizing organ damage and prevent flare-ups.
Choose natural remedies to get control over lupus and its symptoms as an adjunct treatment but be sure to consult your doctor regularly for proper diagnose and treatment.
Home Remedies for Lupus:
Let’s know about the best natural remedies for lupus that help you to lead a normal life by relieving your symptoms and reducing the flare-ups and lessening the organ damage.
Remedy – 1: (Turmeric)
Curcumin in turmeric helps to treat this inflammatory autoimmune disease. It is said in a research that turmeric helps to reduce hematuria, proteinuria, and systolic blood pressure in the people suffering from refractory or relapsing lupus.
- Add 1 teaspoon of organic turmeric powder in 1 cup of milk.
- Stir well and boil it for few minutes and turn off the heat.
- Then sweeten the turmeric milk with a little honey.
- Stir and drink it once or twice daily to get relief from lupus symptoms.
- Or consult your doctor to take turmeric herb into supplement form and the recommended dosage is 400 – 600 mg for 3 times a day.
- Avoid turmeric if you’re suffering from gallbladder problems or using blood thinner medications.
Remedy – 2: (Ginger)
Ginger has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that relieve you from certain symptoms like joint pain, stiffness, and other arthritic symptoms.
- Chew ginger or drink ginger tea for 2 – 3 times a day.
- Include ginger in your daily diet by using it in your cooking, fruit or vegetable juices, etc.
- Take supplements of this ginger herb by consulting your doctor for proper dosage.
Remedy – 3: (Exercise)
Regular exercise is very beneficial for treating lupus for various reasons like strengthens bones, gives quality sleep, reduces stress and anxiety, lessens pains and swelling, keeps your lungs and heart strong, improves flexibility, reduces metabolic abnormalities, prevents fatigue and thus lowers the risk of complications.
- Perform activities like swimming, brisk walking, aerobics, yoga, tai chi, cycling, stretching, gentle range of motion exercises, etc. for about 20 – 30 minutes to get relief from lupus and its symptoms.
- But make sure to start these exercises slowly and check how your body is responding to these exercises and plan the best exercise routine by consulting your physical therapist to treat lupus.
Remedy – 4: (Omega – 3 Fatty Acids)
Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) in omega – 3 fatty acids will help to improve lupus symptoms with its anti-inflammatory property. It also improves the functioning of blood vessels and exhibits cardioprotective effects.
- Intake of 3 Gms of omega – 3 fish oil supplements that have 1200 mg DHA and 1800 mg EPA will reduce the symptoms better than OTC medications.
- Include omega – 3 fatty acids rich Foods like cold water fishes (salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel, herring), chia seeds, walnuts, ground flaxseeds, etc. in your diet.
- Also, consult your doctor to know the dosage of fish oil supplement as per your health condition for treating lupus.
Remedy – 5: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Some health practitioners say that people suffering from lupus may have a deficiency of hydrochloric acid. Apple cider vinegar is an excellent remedy for increasing the production of hydrochloric acid in the body and also improves nutritional absorption.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar and few drops of lemon juice in 1 glass of warm water.
- Stir well and drink this mix 20 minutes before consuming your meals for 2 – 3 times daily.
Remedy – 6: (Holy Basil)
Basil acts as an adaptogenic herb that modulates your response to the stress and thus regulates the functioning of organs, enhances the sense of well-being and relieves you from the fatigue. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that heal your body pains.
- Add few fresh basil leaves (or 1 teaspoon of dried basil leaves) in 1 cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for about 7 – 10 minutes and strain it.
- Then add some honey and drink it.
- Regular intake of this drink for 2 – 3 times daily will help you to get relief from lupus.
Note: Or chewing few basil leaves daily will help you as well.
Remedy – 7: (Diet Plan)
Here is the best diet for the people suffering from lupus. Follow them regularly to get relief from the lupus and its symptoms.
- Avoid certain foods like gluten (wheat, rye, flour-containing products), Trans fat or some saturated fats (fast foods, fried foods, packaged or processed foods), sugar, high sodium foods (salt), caffeine, alcohol and certain legumes (sprouts, peanuts, soybeans, green beans, alfalfa seeds, snow peas) which causes inflammation and results in the damage of other organs along with lupus.
- Include raw vegetables, wild fish (salmon), bone broth, organic and unprocessed foods, antioxidant rich foods, avocado, coconut oil, vitamin E rich foods, cucumber, nuts and seeds, olive oil, melon, raw milk, plenty of water and herbal teas in your daily diet.
- Vitamin D3 is essential to deal with autoimmune diseases like lupus. So, eat vitamin D rich foods like cereals, salmon, fortified milk, egg yolks, tofu, cheese, mushrooms and fatty fish. Also, take vitamin D3 supplements by consulting your doctor.
- Probiotics enhance your immune system and thus reduces the flare-ups of lupus. So, consume cultured and fermented foods such as yogurt with live cultures, kefir, tempeh, miso, acidophilus milk, sauerkraut, etc. Also, take its supplements by consulting your doctor.
- Consuming 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil daily will reduce negative immune response with its medium chain fatty acids. You can also use it in your cooking, smoothies or beverages.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid smoking or intake of tobacco products which damages the lungs and results in many complications.
- Reduce your stress levels, as research says that emotional stress and psychological stress can lead to lupus flare ups. Choose different stress relievers like yoga, meditation, acupuncture, spending most of the time in nature, breathing techniques, chatting with friends, reading, etc. also, know about the essential oils for stress and anxiety by consulting your therapist.
- Get enough of rest and sleep for at least of 7 – 8 hours daily to get rid of lupus symptoms like fatigue. For best results, always maintain proper sleeping schedules.
- Protect your sensitive skin from sun rays by avoiding direct sunlight during peak hours. Wear sunglasses along with a hat and also apply non – toxic sunscreen lotion before stepping out.
- Don’t wear perfumes, chemical based makeup, scented lotions and antiperspirants on your body. Try using some natural deodorants.
- Always use lukewarm water for the bath rather than hot showers. Also, go for some soothing baths like an oatmeal bath for extra moisture and Epsom salt bath for detoxifying your body.
- Consult your physician to know about essential oils and aromatherapy for treating your pain and inflammation. Also, get regular checkups with your doctor by maintaining a diary of your symptoms for proper diagnose.
- Try to identify the food which causing you food allergies and eliminate them from your diet list.
Follow these remedies and tips to get control over lupus and its symptoms. Do you know any other methods for treating lupus? Then share it with us.