Most people think that dry and chapped lips occur during winter but that’s not true, as it occurs at any time of the year, if you didn’t take proper care of the lips. Our lips can’t produce enough natural oils to moisture themselves.
Dehydration, vitamin deficiency, harsh weather, smoking, licking of lips, sun exposure, allergies, dry weather, certain medications and cosmetic products will cause chapped lips.
Swelling, bleeding, flaking, soreness, dryness or crack are some symptoms of dry and chapped lips.
Instead of using commercial lip care products which reduce the skin’s natural ability to hold the moisture and also causes some harm to the skin why don’t you try some natural ways to moisturize the dry lips.
Scrubbing is one such natural remedy used to treat these dry, dark and chapped lips. Do you know that exfoliation is not only essential for the face but also for your lips? Yes, it leaves your lips to remain soft and supple by clearing the dead, flaky or dry skin on the lips.
So, here in this article, we will learn about some best lip exfoliating scrubs to keep your lips smooth and well moisturized along with reducing the dark spots on the lips.
Homemade Lip Scrubs for treating Chapped Lips:
Here are some best natural ways to exfoliate your lips to enjoy smooth and supple lips at any season.
Scrub – 1: (Sugar with Honey)
This combination is effective in getting rid of all the dead peeling skin and thereby reveals the soft skin to clear dry and chapped lips. Regular follow – up will prevent painful cracks and restores the natural pink glow.
Sugar has granule texture that exfoliates the skin effectively to scrape away the dead cells and honey acts as a natural moisturizer that locks the moisture levels on the lips.
Here are some ways of using Sugar – Honey Scrub for treating Chapped Lips.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of brown sugar with 1 teaspoon of honey and a tiny little drop of vanilla in a bowl. Stir well to make a paste and apply it on the lips. Exfoliate it for 2 minutes to loosen the dead skin and then wipe off with a damp cloth after a minute. Apply a lip balm and do it once a week to get rid of the problem.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of the honey (or vegetable glycerine), olive oil (or almond oil) and brown sugar in a bowl and apply this mix on the lips. Gently rub it all over the lips and wipe off with a warm, damp cloth. Store the remaining in a closed container and repeat this scrub regularly for smooth and soft lips.
- Add few drops of honey in some sugar and stir well to make an instant lip scrub. Use it to scrub on the lips for 1 – 2 minutes and rinse off with warm water. Moisturize your lips with lip balm.
- Simply mix equal quantities of sugar, olive oil and fresh lemon juice in a bowl. Stir well and use it scrub the lips gently. Wipe it off with a tissue and splash it with warm water.
- Almonds have a soothing and moisturizing properties that support the lip health and makes it soft and also lightens the dark lips. Mix 1 teaspoon each of coarsely ground almonds, refined sugar, honey and almond oil in a bowl. Apply this scrub on the lips and wait for 2 minutes then use a soft bristled toothbrush to scrub the lips. Rinse off with lukewarm water and apply almond oil after drying it. Do it once a week.
- Coconut oil acts as a nourishing/moisturizing agent that moisturize your lips. Mix 1 tablespoon each of coconut oil and honey in 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Apply it on the lips and exfoliate in circular motions. Remove it using a warm washcloth.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of raw honey and sugar in a bowl and add 1 teaspoon each of olive oil and shea butter (or Vaseline). Stir well and apply it mix on the lips. Rub it gently for a couple of minutes and rinse off with warm water. Spread a lip balm and repeat it for twice a week till your lips become pink and smooth.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of olive oil, 2 – 3 drops of peppermint oil and 1 teaspoon of honey in 1/4 cup of sugar to make a coarse paste. Hold a warm washcloth over lips for 3 minutes and then scrub the lips with this minty scrub. Rinse off with a warm washcloth and apply a lip balm.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil and few drops of lemon essential oil to 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stir well and use it to massage on your lips for few minutes. Rinse your lips to make it a perfect pout with this lip polish scrub.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract and 1 small drizzle of honey in 3 tablespoons of white granulated sugar. Stir well to prepare chocolate lip scrub. Scrub it gently on the lips and rinse off after 5 minutes using lukewarm water.
Note: Or else, apply pure honey on the lips and leave it on for overnight to get well – hydrated lips.
Scrub – 2: (Strawberries)
Strawberries exfoliate the skin to get rid of dry and dead skin cells and thereby turns the dark lips into pink lips. The presence of vital vitamins and minerals in strawberries will help to keep the lips vibrant and healthy.
- Mix 1/2 tablespoon of mashed strawberries and a little honey to make a paste.
- Apply it on the lips and scrub it gently for a minute or two.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water after 10 minutes.
- Continue this strawberry scrub regularly for once or twice a week.
Note: Or smash 1/2 part of ripe strawberry and scrub it on your lips for a couple of minutes. Wash your lips with lukewarm water after 10 minutes. Repeat it 2 – 3 times a week.
Scrub – 3: (Coffee Grounds)
Coffee grounds has a best exfoliating property that exfoliates to remove the dry and dead skin on the lips. It is soft and gentle on the lips and its aroma is invigorating.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of coarsely ground coffee and raw honey in a bowl.
- Mix a little of olive oil till it makes a fine paste as a homemade coffee scrub.
- Apply it on the lips and massage it for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water after 5 minutes and dry it.
- Apply a lip balm and do the same process regularly for once a week.
Scrub – 4: (Rose Petals)
Rose not only used to enhance your mood but also used to exfoliate the lips to get rid of dark and dry lips. It has cooling, soothing and moisturizing properties will help for dry and chapped lips.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of milk cream in 1 tablespoon of rose petals paste.
- Stir well and apply it on the lips thoroughly.
- Leave for 5 minutes and scrub it gently using a soft bristle toothbrush or just with your fingers.
- Finally, rinse off with lukewarm water and repeat it for twice a week on regular basis.
Scrub – 5: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera moisturizes the lips and helps you to get rid of flaky skin. It lightens the lips and makes it soft and supple. It has soothing properties that rejuvenate the soft skin and make it glow with a natural shine.
- Add enough fresh aloe vera gel in 1 tablespoon of coarsely powdered rice.
- Stir well to make a fine paste and rub it gently on your lips for 2 minutes.
- Wait for 5 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- Continue this lip scrub regularly for once a week.
Note: Or simply apply fresh aloe vera gel daily on your lips to soften and lighten it.
Scrub – 6: (Kiwi)
Kiwi has an excellent source of vitamin C, polyphenols and antioxidants that exfoliate the lips and nourish your lips. It removes flaky skin and exfoliates the lips with its little black seeds.
- Add 1 tablespoon of mashed kiwi and 1 tablespoon each of sugar and olive oil in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply it on the lips.
- Exfoliate it gently for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and apply a natural lip balm.
- Repeat it once or twice a week to maintain soft pink lips.
Scrub – 7: (Oatmeal)
Oatmeal with its grainy texture will work as an effective exfoliating agent for lips. The proteins in oats prevent water loss and thus keep the lips soft and supple.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon each of ground oatmeal, plain yogurt and fresh lemon juice in a bowl till it forms a smooth paste.
- Apply it all over the lips and scrub it gently with your clean fingers or using a soft-bristled toothbrush after 5 minutes.
- Finally, rinse off with lukewarm water and dry the lips.
- Apply some coconut oil on the lips and continue this scrub for once a week till you get rid of dry, flaky and chapped lips.
Tips and Precautions:
- Mix equal parts of castor oil and almond oil and apply it on the lips. Massage it daily at night before bedtime to grab soft pink lips.
- You can also mix 1/2 teaspoon each of plain yogurt, gram flour and honey to make a paste. Apply it on the lips and scrub it off after 10 minutes with your clean fingers. Rinse with lukewarm water and continue this scrub for once a week.
- Avoid over exposure of your lips to direct sunlight and apply some natural lip balm to protect it from harsh climatic conditions.
- Apply a moisturizer after exfoliating or after taking bathing or meals or before bedtime to keep it soft and supple.
- Avoid licking your lips, as it makes them dry and chapped (worse than before). Also, avoid excessive intake of caffeine or alcohol and quit smoking.
- Never ever scrub your lips for more than twice a week on regular basis, as it dries the lips and worsens the condition.
- Avoid exfoliating the lips when you’re suffering from severely dry lips. Consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Always prefer to use high-quality lip care products which help to maintain soft, supple and pink lips.
- Use your clean fingers or a soft bristle brush or a clean wet washcloth to scrub your dry lips.
Try these lip scrubs to protect your lips from dry or cracking. Do you know any other effective lip scrubs for treating chapped lips? Then share it with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply