Keloids are the scars that are caused due to the abnormal growth of fibrous tissues. Whenever the top layer of the skin tears or damaged due to skin injuries such as bites, scrapes, chicken pox, minor burns, acne or cuts then the collagen grows as a part of the healing process.
If there is an excess collagen growth at that place then it forms as Keloids. It doesn’t cause any pain but makes you feel embarrassed with those ugly scars and itching. They appear in flesh – colored red or pink on the skin and become tender to touch on the affected skin areas.
Dark complexion people are more prone to this problem. Instead of going for cosmetic treatments and laser therapy which are costly and might result in side effects, try some natural remedies at home to get long lasting results.
Home Remedies for Keloids:
The listed below are the best natural remedies that are widely used to get rid of keloid scars on the skin. Have a look at these amazing remedies and follow them to prevent keloid scars.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar has malic and lactic acids that help to exfoliate and softens the skin. It scrapes away all the old, dead cells on the skin pores and regenerates the skin’s tissue for the growth of healthy new skin. It is effective in eliminating the fatty deposits under the skin and also reduces the redness.
- Apply raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar directly on the affected areas.
- Massage it gently for few minutes till the vinegar gets absorbed into the skin.
- Let it dry for few minutes and wipe off the applied areas.
- Repeat the same process for few times daily till you get rid of Keloids.
Note: Or if the application of ACV causes any skin irritation then dilute 2 parts of ACV in 1 part of water and apply it on the affected area with a cotton ball.
Method – 2: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera is an excellent remedy for treating scars with its moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties. It heals the skin and reduces the appearance of scars on the skin.
- Cleanse the keloid scarred area with lukewarm water and pat dry it.
- Then apply freshly extracted aloe vera gel on the scars.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Repeat the same process twice daily till you get rid of the problem.
Method – 3: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda acts as an abrasive agent that exfoliates the skin to make it free from dirt, dead cells, and debris. It also encourages the healthy skin to reduce the appearance of Keloids.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 3 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide (skin repairing agent) in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply it on the Keloid affected areas using a cotton ball.
- Leave it for 10 – 15 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water to reduce the redness and itching.
- Continue this process for 3 – 4 times a day depending on your severity.
Note: Or baking soda exfoliates the skin and olive oil moisturizes the area to make it soft. Mix 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and olive oil to make a paste. Apply it on the scars and massage gently for 5 minutes. Wash the area with lukewarm water and repeat it daily.
Method – 4: (Fuller’s Earth)
Fuller’s earth has skin lightening and skin soothing properties that lighten the keloid scars.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of fresh lemon juice and rosewater in 1 tablespoon of fuller’s earth.
- Stir well to make a smooth paste and apply it on the scar affected area.
- Massage gently for few minutes and let it dry for another few minutes.
- Then apply another layer of this paste on the affected area and leave it for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse off the area with cold water and pat dry the skin.
- Regular follow – up of this process will help you to diminish the keloid scars.
Method – 5: (Lemon Juice)
Lemon juice has rich content of vitamin C which helps to reduce keloid scars. It has antioxidant and astringent properties that improve the color, appearance, and texture of the scars.
- Fresh extract lemon juice from a lemon and apply it on the keloid scar affected skin areas.
- Let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Dry the area and apply some natural moisturizer on it.
- If you’ve dry or sensitive skin, then dilute lemon juice by adding a little water (or rosewater) and apply it.
- Do the same process regularly till you get rid of the problem.
Method – 6: (Lavender Oil)
Lavender oil contains cell rejuvenating properties which reduce the appearance of scars on the skin. Regular application will definitely help you in getting rid of these scars.
- Apply lavender essential oil on the scars affected area and massage it gently for few minutes.
- Leave it on like that and repeat the application 3 – 4 times daily for faster relief.
Note: Or mix equal quantities of lavender oil and tea tree oil in some olive oil and apply it on the affected areas of the skin to get rid of the problem.
Method – 7: (Sandalwood and Rosewater)
Sandalwood has skin regenerating properties and rose water acts as a natural skin toner which helps to get rid of keloid scars. They help to lighten the keloid scars quickly.
- Mix enough sandalwood and rosewater to make it a fine paste.
- Apply it on the scars affected area at night before bedtime.
- Rinse off the area thoroughly with lukewarm water in the next morning.
- Dry the skin and repeat it regularly till you get rid of the keloid scars.
Note: Or add some black gram powder in this sandalwood and rosewater paste. Apply it for best and faster results.
Method – 8: (Onion Juice)
Onion controls the production of collagen in the body and thus provides a healing impact on the scar tissue. It works like a lotions or creams used for treating scars.
- Cut 1 white onion into pieces and crush it to extract its juice freshly.
- Apply the onion juice on the keloid scars using a cotton ball.
- Let it dry on its own and wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Continue the process for 3 – 4 times daily till you get rid of scars on the skin.
Tips and Precautions:
- Aspirin helps to shrink the skin pores and reduces the appearance of scars. Just crush 3 – 4 aspirin tablets and add water to make it a smooth paste. Apply it on the scar and rinse off after its get dried.
- Honey has antioxidant and skin soothing properties that repair the damaged skin and minimizes the scars. Simply apply raw honey on the keloid scars and massage it to moisturize the skin and heal scars.
- Garlic inhibits the excessive fibroblast proliferation which causes keloids and treats scars. Apply garlic on topically on the scar and massage. Rinse off with water after 10 minutes. Also, place crushed garlic cloves on the scars and rinse with lukewarm water after few minutes.
- Massage the affected area with any natural oil for proper blood circulation and to remove the dead skin cells on the skin. Massage the scars area for few times daily to observe improvement in its appearance.
- It’s always best to avoid going for tattoos, body piercings and other cosmetic surgeries for getting rid of keloids.
- Drink plenty of water and well balanced nutritional diet to flush out the toxins and to get faster relief from the problem.
- Consult your doctor, if your keloids are painful with constant itching for proper diagnose and treatment.
Try these remedies for fading the keloid scars and let us know which method works well in treating your keloids by sharing your experience with us in the comments section.