Are tiny black dots on your skin making you feel more embarrassed? Those dots are medically termed as blackheads.
Blackheads are open comedones that are usually black or brown in colour. In general they are formed when dirt, bacteria or dead skin cells clogs the skin pores and leads to oxidation. However, poor hygiene, excessive production of oil, unhealthy food, improper care and thyroid disorders are also responsible for occurrence of blackheads.
In some cases if too much of dirt is trapped in the whiteheads then, they oxidize and turn to blackheads.
When a bacteria or germ enters into pores they spread infection on the skin causing pimples or acne. Mostly they are found on the nose but can occur anywhere on the body including face, neck and back.
Plucking out the blackheads is quiet difficult and you need to visit a dermatologist to remove them, which is usually time consuming. So, you can get rid of blackheads by using honey. It has various properties that removes the blackheads along with the scars and prevents them from reoccurring.
In this article we have mentioned 8 different methods of using honey for treatment of blackheads. Go through the each method and opt the one that is convenient for you.
Benefits of honey to remove blackheads efficiently
- The sticky nature of honey is helpful in removing the dirt from the skin pores and make them clean.
- The anti-inflammatory property of honey is beneficial in treating the swelling of the pores and provides relief against the irritation.
- It also has moisturizing property that maintains a smooth and soft skin. the exfoliating nature helps in getting rid of excessive oil and dead skin cells from the skin.
- The anti-oxidant property of honey is helpful in fighting against the free radicals and protects the skin. the anti-bacterial and anti-biotic property destroys the germs and bacteria and provides glowing skin with unclogged pores.
Easy and effective methods to get rid of blackheads:
Method 1: Honey alone:
The presence of various benefits in honey helps in deep cleansing of the skin and removes the blackheads. It helps in balancing Skin’s pH level that controls the secretion of oil and maintains a properly moisturized skin.
- 2 tablespoons organic honey
How to use?
- Initially wash your face using warm water and dry your skin.
- Now, pour coin sized amount of pure honey on your palm and apply it evenly on your face using fingers.
- Allow it to dry for about 15-20 minutes and then rinse using lukewarm water.
- After that it is necessary to rinse using cold water so that skin pores gets closed.
- Then, use a soft towel and pat dry your skin.
Repeat this process regularly and get rid of blackheads.
- You can directly apply the honey on your blackheads and put bandage or cotton over it and leave it overnight. Then, next day morning you can remove that bandage and wash your face using warm water.
- For better results you can make use of warm honey.
- After applying honey you can just wipe the skin using soft cloth soaked in warm water.
Method 2: Lemon and Honey
Lemon has alpha-hydroxyl acid that prevents formation of blackheads and pimples. The citric acid present in lemon fights against the infection causing bacteria. It also acts as astringent and helps in tightening the pores and removing the black heads. Lemon controls the production of oil from the skin and keeps skin dry.
- Half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey
How to use?
- Rinse your face using warm water to open up the pores.
- Now, cut lemon into 2 equal parts and pour a teaspoon of honey over one half of lemon.
- Start to rub it over your face and apply some pressure on the blackheads area.
- Try to squeeze lemon slightly so, that lemon juice combines with honey.
- Then, leave it for about 5-10 minutes and later wash with cold water.
- You can repeat it 3-4 times per week to remove blackheads.
- Take a tablespoon of organic honey and mix it with lemon juice extracted from half lemon. Now, apply it on your face and leave it for about 15-20 minutes.
- Later, rinse off your face using cold water.
- You can replace normal honey with warm honey.
- You can also use honey and lemon as scrub by mixing it with salt and rubbing all over the face.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and rinse off thoroughly using warm water.
- Then, give a cold water splash and pat dry your skin.
Method 3: Cinnamon and honey:
Cinnamon is rich in anti-bacterial property that kills the bacteria from the skin and protects skin from infections. It also cleans the skin pores by removing the dirt and excessive oil from the skin. In general cinnamon is used to clean the skin surfaces because of their adhesive property. So, combination of cinnamon and honey is very much helpful in removing the blackheads.
- 3 -5 tablespoons raw honey
- 1-2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
How to use?
- Take a small bowl and combine both of these ingredients to form a thick paste.
- Now, apply it on your skin and spread evenly using your finger and palm.
- Allow it to sit for overnight and then, next day wash it off using warm water.
- Pat dry the skin using a towel and repeat the process regularly to remove blackheads.
- Take a small sized bowl and pour 1 teaspoon of honey and cinnamon powder each.
- Now, apply it on the face and spread it evenly everywhere.
- Then, press a face strip of cotton roll over it and leave for 5-7 minutes.
- Later, remove it and wash your face using warm water.
- Later, apply moisturizer to skin.
Method 4: Egg white, Oatmeal and Honey:
Egg white is rich in magnesium, proteins and potassium, which are beneficial for maintaining good skin. The astringent property of egg white shrinks the skin pores and removes the dead skin cells that form blackheads.
Oatmeal acts as a cleansing agent and removes all the dirt and oil from the skin. It also unclogs the skin pores and removes blackheads from roots.
- Egg white removed from 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oatmeal powder
- ½ or 1 tablespoon of honey
How to use?
- Take a small bowl and add all the ingredients to it and start mixing thoroughly.
- Now, spread this mixture on the blackheads affected area and give a slight massage.
- Leave it for about 5-10 minutes and then, wash using warm water.
- For effective results you can apply this mask regularly.
Method 5: Milk and Honey:
The presence of lactic acid in the milk helps in cleaning the skin so, milk is one of the best cleansing agent. It makes skin soft and prevents from drying. It also has anti-bacterial property, which fights against the infection causing bacteria and removes blackheads.
- 1 tablespoon pure and organic honey
- 1 -2 teaspoon of milk
How to use?
- Take a small bowl and combine both the ingredients to form a paste.
- Then, heat it for about 5-7 seconds in microwave or 3-4 seconds on the flame.
- Afterwards mix it thoroughly again and allow it to reach room temperature.
- Apply it on the blackheads and spread it evenly.
- Now, put a strip or cotton over it and press slightly.
- Allow it to stay for about 15-20 minutes and remove the strip.
- Wash your face thoroughly using cold water and dry the skin.
- Finally apply the moisturizer and leave it.
- Repeat the process to get rid of blackheads from the skin.
Method 6: Almond and honey:
Almond has vitamin E and antioxidants that fights against the free radicals and protects the skin. It also loosens the pores and removes the blackheads easily.
- 1 teaspoon crushed almonds
- 1 teaspoon honey
How to use?
- Take a small bowl and mix a teaspoon of honey along with a teaspoon of crushed almonds.
- Mix it well and apply it on the face. Leave it untouched till it dries completely.
- Afterwards, rinse it using coldwater and pat dry the skin.
- For best results you can repeat the process twice a week.
Method 7: Sea salt and honey:
Sea salt acts as exfoliating agent and removes the dead skin cells and dirt from the pores. it also dissolves the oils inside the skin pores and repairs the skin. Sea salt is best for treatment of acne or pimples, because it has high concentration and kills the bacteria.
- 1 teaspoon pure honey
- A pinch of sea salt
How to use?
- Take a small bowl and mix honey along with the sea salt.
- Stir well and apply it of the blackheads and massage smoothly in circular movements.
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes and then, rinse using cold water.
- For best results you can use it 4-5 times in a week.
Method 8: Green tea and honey:
Green tea has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that destroys the bacteria and protects skin from infection. It also helps in removing the dirt from the skin pores and loosens them to make a way for blackheads.
- 1 teaspoon green tea powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
How to use?
- Take a cup and pour honey along with a teaspoon of green tea powder.
- Mix it well and make a paste of it.
- Now, apply this on the skin and spread it evenly concentrating on the blackheads.
- Leave it to dry for about 15-20 minutes and then, rinse it off using water.
- For best results you can repeat it twice a day.
Some do’s and don’ts for blackhead treatment:
- Before applying any ingredients on the skin it is necessary to do a patch test and verify whether it is suitable for your skin type or no.
- Wash your face 4-5 times every day using cold water to stay away from various skin infections and blackheads.
- If you are using lemon method then, don’t forget to moisturize your skin after applying lemon because it dries out your skin.
- Always try to make use of organic, pure and raw honey to obtain results quickly.
- You can also try mixing honey with, sugar, apple pulp etc, to remove the blackheads easily from the skin.
- Frequent usage of cosmetics, body washes and soaps may harm your skin because they contain chemicals that make skin rough and dry.
- If you have put on makeup for any functions or party then, it is necessary to remove the makeup before sleeping.
- It is very necessary to exfoliate your skin and remove the dirt, dead skin cells and oil from the pores to maintain healthy and glowing skin.
Frequently asked questions:
Can i combine honey with yogurt and apply on blackheads?
Yes, yogurt is rich in lactic acid and it also acts as cleansing agent. You can combine 1 teaspoon of honey with 1 teaspoon of yogurt and apply it on the skin by massaging gently. Leave it for about 5-10 minutes and then, rinse off using water.
Is it bad to pop or squeeze blackheads from the skin?
Squeezing the blackheads is not a good idea because it may lead to the spreading of the infection. Popping is not possible in case of blackheads because they are tightly stuck in the skin pores and never come out. If you try to pop a blackhead then, it will hurt your skin and cause redness and irritation in the surrounding area.
Do blackheads leave scars behind them?
Yes, blackheads leave a brown or reddish patch on the skin. These scars cannot go away on its own and it is very difficult to remove them. But there are various treatments and home remedies that help in removal of blackhead scars.
Are blackheads and whiteheads same thing?
Yes, blackheads and whiteheads both occur due to the clogged pores and are first stage of acne. So, there is similar method of treatment for both.
Blackheads are very difficult to get rid of. So, you can just follow the methods mentioned above and get a clear and glowing skin.
If you have any queries write to us in the comment section. Our team of experts will clarify them as soon as possible.