Hickey (or love bite or kiss mark) is formed by sucking or biting the skin too hard. The pressure ruptures the veins and clots the blood under the skin, which appears as a bruise.
Generally, hickeys will last for more than a week and when once it healed on its own then there will be no scars or marks left behind.
Hickeys can be quite embarrassing and most people can hide them with this makeup or clothing. Instead of using chemical based creams, you can try using easy to follow natural home remedies for treating your hickeys fast.
Home Remedies for Hickeys:
Here are some of the best natural home remedies that provide effective relief from hickeys. Regular follow-up will yield best results over them.
Method – 1: (Cold Compress)
Ice or cold compress helps constrict ruptured capillaries and thus reduce bleeding. It regulates the blood circulation and thus reduces redness and swelling.
- Place few ice cubes in a clean cloth and wrap it.
- Apply the compress gently on the affected area for few minutes.
- Wait for 15 – 20 minutes and then reapply it for a couple of minutes.
- Repeat it regularly for several times in a day till you get rid of hickeys.
- Or refrigerate a stainless steel spoon for about 10 minutes and apply it on the affected area with gentle pressure for few minutes. Do the same for several times.
- Also, after 3 – 4 days of cold compress, you can go for warm compress by simply soaking a clean cloth in warm water and place it on the affected areas after thorough squeezing of cloth. Continue it for few times daily.
Method – 2: (Peppermint)
Peppermint exhibits certain stimulant effects which improve the blood circulation and heals capillary vessels to get rid of hickeys.
- Apply few drops of peppermint oil on the hickeys affected area by using a cotton ball.
- Let it dry completely and if you feel any irritation due to its direction application, then you can dilute the peppermint oil with any carrier oil and apply it.
- Repeat the process for once or twice daily.
Note: Or apply some peppermint based toothpaste on your affected area. Wipe off the paste using a warm washcloth after 20 minutes. Do it once daily and this works best when applied quickly after getting a hickey.
Method – 3: (Aloe Vera)
Anti-inflammatory and skin soothing properties of aloe vera help to repair the broken blood vessels and heal your skin quickly by reducing pain and swelling.
- Apply freshly extracted aloe vera gel on the hickeys affected areas.
- Massage gently and leave it like that.
- Repeat the same for 2 – 3 times daily till you get rid of hickies.
Note: If you’re unable to find aloe vera gel or juice, then apply an aloe vera based lotion of cream on the affected skin.
Method – 4: (Banana Peel)
Banana peel has vitamin K along with skin soothing and cooling properties that shrink your hickeys fast.
- Cut a banana peel into pieces and place the inside of the peel on the hickey.
- Let it sit for about 10 – 30 minutes and remove the peel.
- Repeat it with a fresh one for 2 – 3 times daily till the hickey has disappeared.
Method – 5: (Rubbing Alcohol)
Rubbing alcohol has antiseptic, skin soothing and cooling properties that help you to get relief from the hickeys. Use this alcohol a few hours after you got hickeys.
- Apply rubbing alcohol on the affected area with the help of a cotton ball.
- Rub the area gently for 2 – 3 minutes to reduce the discomfort.
- Leave it to dry and be sure to apply moisturizing lotion to your skin, as rubbing alcohol will dry out the skin.
- Repeat the same regularly for few times a day to notice the disappearing results.
Note: Or use witch hazel in the place of rubbing alcohol to get rid of hickeys fast.
Method – 6: (Cocoa Butter)
Cocoa butter has an excellent moisturizing property that helps to reduce the pain, swelling and thus promotes the growth of new skin tissues.
- Firstly, apply a warm compress on the hickey to warmth the area.
- Then apply the cocoa butter on the affected area and massage it gently for few minutes till it absorbed by the body.
- This process will stimulate the blood circulation and break up the blood clot.
- Do the same process for few times daily till you get complete relief from the hickeys.
Tips and Precautions:
- Do some finger massage on your hickeys after it gets a few days older to increase the blood circulation and to reduce the pain and swelling. Use almond oil, cocoa butter, olive oil or a mix of few drops of chamomile oil into any carrier oil for massaging purpose.
- Try using a toothbrush with soft bristles to rub the hickey affected area gently for a couple of minutes.
- Include vitamin C (essential to repair the skin) and vitamin K (prevents blood clots and help the body to reabsorb the pooled blood) rich foods in your diet to get a quick relief from the problem.
- Intake of papain and salicylic acid rich foods will reduce the swelling and thus treat bruises.
- You can apply vitamin C rich fruit juices (or) used tea bags (or) crushed parsley leaves paste on the affected area.
- Avoid scratching or rubbing the affected areas harshly, as it worsens your problem and takes more time to cure it.
- You can hide the hickeys by wearing makeup like with a good concealer or foundation or using a neck scarf.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get any relief from hickeys after 2 weeks, for proper diagnose and treatment, as it may cause other health problems.
Follow these natural remedies for treating your hickeys and share your experience or queries with us in the below comments box.