Kidneys are bean-shaped organs that are essential for proper functioning of your body. It is located at the posterior side of the abdomen. They remove toxins and waste from your blood and thereby release 3 important hormones called erythropoietin, calcitriol, and renin, which plays a key role in maintaining good health.
The kidney will work to regulate blood pressure, synthesize vitamin D, increases the production red blood cell and improves the functioning of urinary tract and bladder. However, they are self-cleansing organs but to support its function, all you need to consume adequate water and other healthy liquids.
If you’re suffering from certain symptoms like kidney pain after eating, skin rashes, sudden weight gain, eczema, feeling unusually moody or fatigue, kidney stones and frequent urinary tract or bladder problems then you need to take extra care about your kidneys.
Although, healthy diet, regular exercise and well hydrated is essential to maintain healthy kidneys but the intake of certain herbs in your diet will help you a lot in cleansing your kidneys.
Super Herbs to Cleanse the Kidneys:
Here are super herbs that effectively cleanse your kidneys. Have a look at these amazing herbs and try them to give support to your kidney functioning.
Herb – 1: (Parsley)
Parsley acts as a natural diuretic that promotes increased urine output which in turn flushes out the bacteria and germs from your kidneys.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of freshly crushed parsley in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Cover it and let it steep for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Then strain it and drink it to get rid of the problem.
- Regular intake of this parsley tea will help you to strengthen your kidney functioning.
- Or mix 1/4 cup of parsley juice and a little honey and fresh lemon juice in 1/2 cup of water. Drink this detoxifying drink for twice daily.
- Also, include this herb in the diet like salads or other dishes but avoid consuming large amounts of parsley if you’re pregnant.
Herb – 2: (Marshmallow)
Marshmallow is effective in increasing the urine flow which in turn cleanses your kidneys by removing the buildup of toxins and thus promotes kidneys health. It also fights against the bladder or urinary tract infections.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of dried marshmallow leaves and roots in 1 cup of hot water.
- Stir well and cover it.
- Let it steep for about 7 – 10 minutes and strain it into a cup.
- Drink this herbal tea to get relief from the problem.
- Repeat drinking this marshmallow tea for twice daily to strengthen your kidney functioning.
Note: If you’re pregnant or nursing women or people having diabetes then avoid taking marshmallow.
Herb – 3: (Dandelion Root)
Dandelion root has a diuretic property that increases your urine production which in turn makes the functioning of your kidney easier. It relieves your water retention and soothes the irritation in your urinary system. Regular intake of dandelion root will cleanse your kidneys and liver.
- Pour 2 teaspoons of dried dandelion root in 1 cup of water.
- Boil it for 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Cover it and allow it steep for about 7 – 10 minutes.
- Then strain the tea and drink it by adding some honey into it.
- Daily intake of 2 cups of dandelion tea for few weeks will help to get rid of kidney problems.
Note: Or use dandelion tea bags to prepare dandelion tea. Also, this herb might react with certain medications, so consult your doctor before using dandelion to cleanse your kidneys.
Herb – 4: (Ginger)
Ginger acts as a cleansing herb that flushes out the harmful waste and toxins from your kidney and digestive system. It also cleanses your liver and stimulates the bowel movement.
- Add 2 teaspoons of freshly grated ginger in a pot filled with 2 cups of water.
- Simmer for 10 minutes and strain it.
- Mix some honey and fresh lemon juice into it and drink it.
- Continue drinking this ginger tea for 2 – 3 times daily for few days.
- Or include ginger (raw or dried) in your daily diet to maintain good health of your kidneys.
- Also, chew few slices of ginger root regularly to cleanse your kidney and digestive system.
Herb – 5: (Celery)
Celery acts as a natural diuretic property that increases your urine and thus removes toxins and waste materials from the body. It contains all essential nutrients which enhance the functioning of your kidneys by preventing kidney stones and infections.
- Blend 2 celery ribs, 1 carrot, 1/2 cup of fresh parsley and 1 cucumber in a blender.
- Blend for few minutes and pour it into a glass.
- Drink it once daily for few weeks to get relief from kidney problems.
Note: Or drink 1 glass of celery juice daily for few days.
Herb – 6: (Turmeric)
Turmeric, a golden herb used to cleanses your body, including your kidneys. It purifies the blood and detoxifies the liver for an overall functioning of your body. It has curcumin, that has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce the inflammation and infections in your kidneys.
- Add 1 teaspoon of raw turmeric juice, freshly squeezed lemon juice, a little honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and drink this herbal juice to get relief from kidney problems.
- Daily intake of this herbal drink for few weeks will reduce your kidney problems.
- Or mix 1/2 teaspoon each of dry ginger powder and turmeric powder in 2 cups of boiling water. Then simmer it for 10 minutes and strain it. Then add fresh lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Consume it once daily for few weeks.
- Also, consume small raw turmeric or include it in your daily diet to get relief from kidney problems.
Herb – 7: (Stinging Nettle)
Intake of stinging nettle will increase your urine production that in turn removes metabolic waste and promotes renal excretion with its diuretic properties. It also helps to prevent the formation of stones or bacteria thereby it reduces the risk of the bladder and kidney infections.
- Mix 2 – 3 teaspoons of dried (or fresh) stinging nettle in 1 cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for 8 – 10 minutes and strain it.
- Then add a small amount of raw honey in it and drink it.
- Drink this nettle tea for twice daily till you get relief from kidneys.
Note: Consult your doctor if you’re taking blood-thinning or high blood pressure or diuretic or diabetic medications why because this herb can interfere with these medications.
Herb – 8: (Horsetail)
Horsetail supports your kidney functioning by removing harmful toxins and other waste material out of your body with its diuretic properties. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that protect your kidneys and renal system.
- Mix 1 – 3 teaspoons of dried (or fresh) horsetail in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Cover it and allow it to steep for 7 – 10 minutes.
- Strain it and drink 2 – 3 cups of this horsetail tea daily to cleanse the kidneys.
Note: Or check with your doctor before taking horsetail supplements for promoting urine flow and reducing the infections.
Herb – 9: (Corn Silk)
Corn silk stimulates the urine production which in turn removes the waste and harmful toxins from the body with its diuretic in nature. It also treats kidney stones, bladder infections, and urinary infections effectively.
- Add 2 teaspoons of dried corn silk in 1 cup.
- Then pour boiling water over it and stir well.
- Steep it for 10 – 15 minutes and strain it.
- Drink this herbal tea for 2 – 3 times daily will cleanse your kidneys.
- Be sure to drink plenty of other fluids while using corn silk tea to cleanse your kidneys.
Note: This herb might interact with certain medications, so consult your doctor before taking corn silk.
Herb – 10: (Uva-Ursi)
Uva ursi herb contains natural diuretic properties that cleanse your kidneys but fighting against the infections. It has arbutin, a phenolic glycoside that makes this herb as a diuretic in nature. It has an astringent property that flushes out the harmful toxins and bacteria from your kidneys and also keeps the pH balance of your urine for not being too acidic.
- Mix 1 – 2 teaspoons of uva ursi herb in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for few minutes and strain it to drink uva ursi tea.
Note: Or consult your doctor for right dosage and procedure to take this herb for cleansing your kidneys.
Herb – 11: (Goldenrod)
Goldenrod has large diuretic that removes excess fluids out of the body. So, it’s best to take it when you’re suffering from irritated kidneys or urine deterioration. It fights against the kidney infections, lowers the blood pressure and reduces the chance of getting kidney or bladder infections. So, include goldenrod in your lifestyle to cleanse your kidneys.
Tips and Precautions:
- Quit smoking and the usage of tobacco products. Also, limit the consumption of your alcohol and caffeine intake.
- Always keep your cholesterol levels in your check and also maintain normal levels of your blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy liquids throughout the day to prevent dehydration. Also, consume rich diet including fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Avoid oily or processed or fast foods or foods that have too much salt which helps to support the functioning of your kidneys.
- Lose your overweight and maintain a healthy body weight, as overweight can also result in weakening the kidney damage.
- Hydrangea root is a diuretic rich herb that reduces the chance of getting kidney or bladder infections by removing toxins. So, include hydrangea root in your diet regularly.
- Consult your doctor, if you’re suffering from kidney or urinary tract problems for proper diagnose and treatment.
Include these herbs in your diet to cleanse your kidneys and support them to function properly. Do you know any other herbs that cleanse your kidneys? Then share it with us.