Heartburn – A burning sensation or pain caused in your chest (behind the breastbone) and gets extended to the throat, neck or face. It occurs when the valve between the esophagus and stomach doesn’t close properly and the stomach acids rise up into the esophagus. This happens most commonly after eating fried or fatty or spicy or acidic foods.
Heartburn is caused due to eating too much food at once, overweight, genetics, stress, over usage of certain pills, spicy or oily foods, etc. People who are suffering from heartburn will experience symptoms like burning sensation in the chest and throat, sour or bitter taste in the mouth, nausea, bloating, respiratory problems, difficulty in swallowing, sore throat, pain while lying on the back, etc.
Taking over the counter antacids will not give you complete relief from heartburn and also frequent attacks of heartburn will result in acid reflux or GERD.
Stop worrying and start following some natural home remedies along with preventive steps to get rid of heartburn. Have a look at these home remedies for heartburn which are effective and safe to use.
Remedy – 1: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda is alkaline in nature which helps to restore the acid – alkaline balance in the digestive system and treats heartburn problem. It acts as a natural antacid that gives a quick relief from your heartburn.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 8 ounces of water.
- Drink it once to get relief from heartburn.
- Repeat the intake for 2 – 3 times daily till you cleared the problem.
- Also, remember that baking soda dose should not exceed 2 tablespoons, as it is high in salt and can result in some drawbacks like nausea or swelling.
Note: Or mix 1/2 teaspoon each of baking soda and cream of tartar in 1 glass of water. Stir well and consume 1 tablespoon of this mix whenever you suffer from heartburn, as it works as an antacid.
Remedy – 2: (Ginger)
Ginger absorbs the stomach acid, promotes digestion and helps to calm down the nerves contributing to heartburn.
- Cut a 3 quarter sized fresh ginger piece into slices.
- Pour it in 2 cups of water and covered, simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Strain the water and drink it few times a day (especially 20 minutes before your meal) will help you to get rid of heartburn.
Note: Also, chew ginger slices or use it in your cooking or take ginger in the form of cookies, ale or other supplements.
Remedy – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
In most of the cases, heartburn is caused by not having enough acid in the stomach. So, the intake of acidic drinks like apple cider vinegar will ingest more acid and tightens the lower esophagus sphincter (LES) to prevent heartburn. It also neutralizes the acid – alkaline levels to get rid of acid reflux.
- Add 1 – 2 teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water.
- Stir well and drink it before each meal to get relief from heartburn and to have proper digestion.
Note: Or mix 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of organic honey in 1 cup of warm water. Stir well and drink it to get quick relief from burning sensation or pain.
Remedy – 4: (Aloe Vera Juice)
Aloe vera soothes and calm down the irritated and inflamed tummy with its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
- Extract aloe vera gel freshly from an aloe leaf.
- Blend it by adding some water to get aloe juice.
- Drink 1/2 cup of aloe juice before taking your meals to get rid of the heartburn.
- Also, you can drink store bought pure aloe vera juice if you don’t have an aloe plant at home.
- Or consume a little of aloe vera gel to clear heartburn.
- Aloe vera acts as a laxative that causes abdominal pain or diarrhea, so choose the brand or homemade drink should be laxative-free.
Remedy – 5: (Mustard)
Mustard neutralizes the acids in the stomach and it also contains vinegar that acts as a stimulant of saliva which aids in faster digestion. It has a rich source of essential nutrients that forms a protective layer to prevent the acid attack and thus help you to get rid of heartburn.
- Consume 1 – 2 teaspoons of plain yellow mustard directly.
- Or mix 2 – 3 teaspoons of this mustard in 1 glass of buttermilk and drink it.
Other Effective Remedies are…
These are some other effective remedies to follow for getting rid of heartburn or acid reflux.
- Fennel seeds aid in proper digestion by controlling the production of stomach acid in your body. Chew some fennel seeds or drink tea by steeping 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds in 1 cup of boiling water for 10 minutes and strain it to drink. Also, drink chamomile tea to neutralize the stomach acids.
- Slippery elm acts as a demulcent that coats a protective layer to thicken the stomach lining and thus creates a barrier against the acid attack. So mix 1 teaspoon of slippery elm powder in 1 cup of hot water and drink it after meals or at bedtime.
- Milk (skim milk or almond milk) will help to get relief from mild heartburn symptoms. Drink 1 glass of chilled milk to tighten the LES valve and to prevent heartburn. Also, consume buttermilk.
- Drinking healthy fruit or vegetable juices like cabbage juice, carrot, cucumber, beets, radishes, potato, pineapple or apple juices whenever you suffer from heartburn will help to reduce the production of stomach acid and works as a first – aid to treat heartburn or acid reflex.
- Snack on 3 – 5 almonds after each meal or heavy snack for proper digestion, as oils from almonds, helps to calm down the acid production in the stomach and treats heartburn.
- Consume fruits like banana (acts as a natural antacid), apples (reduce the acid production), pineapple (has bromelain that reduce the acid levels in the stomach), papaya, mango, guava, etc. whenever you suffer from heartburn.
- Usage of spices and herbs like cardamom, sage, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, basil and mint (chew the leaves) either directly or in cooked form or in teas will help for proper digestion and thereby relieves tension in the LES and cures heartburn. Make sure not to overdose it, as it worsens your problem.
- Chewing some sugar-free gums after your meals will stimulate the salivary flow and clears the acid in your gut. This, in turn, clears the symptoms of heartburn.
- Drink lemon juice and honey mixed in a glass of lukewarm water in the morning to get rid of heartburn and acid reflux.
Tips and Precautions:
- Elevate your head while sleeping and also avoid lying down within 3 – 4 hours after eating, as it causes acids come up to the esophagus and worsen the problem.
- Always watch three thing while eating, first how to eat (take smaller bites eat slowly and cut down when you’re stomach is about to full), second one is what to eat (avoid foods that trigger heartburn for you like salty or oily or fatty foods) and finally when to eat (never ever eat 3 – 4 hours before bedtime, as it makes the body unable to digest or absorb the essential nutrients from the food).
- Also, maintain a track record of foods or activities which triggers your heartburn and keep them away to get rid of heartburn now and then.
- Smoking and drinking alcohol will result in heartburn. So, to get rid of the heartburn, quit smoking and drinking alcohol and carbonated beverages.
- Overweight will cause heartburn. So, maintain a healthy weight to reduce the pressure on your lower esophageal sphincter (LES). Also, avoid wearing tight fitting clothes, as it also tightens your belly and puts extra pressure on the LES.
- Consume less food (but healthy) in more frequent times which is very essential for maintaining proper weight and health.
- Its must to drink plenty of water in between meals but not with your meals, as it will increase the volume of your stomach and causes heartburn.
Try these remedies and tips to get relief from heartburn. Do you know any other natural remedies for treating heartburn? Then share it with us in the comments box.