Headache is a common problem for all of us. Everyone has to face this at one or other time. Headache it starts from head & make changes in our lifestyle. You can’t live normally.
Physiological changes in head & brain, genetic factors, stress etc., whatever are the causes of headache, you just try these natural home remedies in next time when you got headache, you will get relief from the headache.
Home Remedies for Headache
Natural homemade remedies are quite effective & gives the best solution but not that much instant when you compare to over the counter medicines. That to headache, which we can’t bear it & all our regular/routine things will be changed. Try these natural remedies to get rid of the headache problem.
1 Ice Pack and Hot Compress
Ice Pack helps to numb the things & reduces the inflammation at last prevent the pain.
Hot Compress If the weather outside is cold or snow is falling means it’s the time for you to put the hot water compress for soothing relief.
- Ice cubes
- Wash cloth
- Take a few ice cubes & cover it with a clean cotton cloth / wash cloth as a pack.
- Now apply that ice pack on the painful areas like forehead, temples, back of your neck & other parts to prevent the headache.
- Here try to apply the cold compress as soon as headache starts. You will feel relief within 20 minutes of use.
- Clean wash cloth
- Hot water
- Take a wash cloth & hot water (not too much hot).
- Dip this wash cloth in that water (see that the cloth has to be wet fully)
- Squeeze it out & apply it on your eyes or other areas where pain is coming.
- Leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Make sure to re warm it whenever you feel necessary.
2. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint is a natural & herbal remedy which is known for its calming, soothing & numbing property. It when applied will helps to open & close the vessels that will promote the blood circulation & it quickly reduces the pain that causes the headache.
- Peppermint oil or leaves
- Take some peppermint oil into your hands
- Apply this oil to your forehead & temples.
- Gently massage on the area where the pain is coming.
- Crush the peppermint leaves & put it on your forehead.
- It is very effective in treating the tension headaches.
Make sure that not to use this remedy for children, pregnant lady or people who have sensitive skin as it causes the burning effect.
It gives relief from the headache as it acts as anti inflammation to reduce the inflammation of the blood vessels in the head & gives a relief.
- Tea leaves
- Cup of water
- Take tea leaves & ginger in a cup of water
- Boil it for few minutes
- Then add milk & sugar according to your taste
- Consume it twice a day to get best result.
4. Mint Juice
Mint is an effective medicine for headache. It has antiseptic & anti pruritic properties. It contains menthol & menthone which helps in alleviating headaches.
- Mint tea or mint juice
- Take mint tea compress & put it on the forehead to get relief from the discomfort
- Or you can also try mint juice
- Apply the mint juice on your forehead & temples
- If possible apply coriander juice along with mint juices which is effective in treating the headaches
- Allow it to sit for few minutes
- Wash it off
5. Basil / Indian Tulsi
It is one of the medicines for headaches which are caused by tension & tight muscles. Basil works as a muscle relaxant.
- Cup of water
- Few fresh basil leaves
- Take some handful of fresh basil leaves
- Put these leaves in a cup of boiling water
- Let it come to normal heat to drink it
- Sip the tea slowly which helps to prevent the headache
Water helps your body to be hydrated. Dehydration can cause headaches why because lack of water will lead to reduce blood & oxygen flow into the brain.
- Drink at least 8 ounces of water per day to prevent the dehydration & further headaches
- Whenever you feel dehydrated or headache is coming try to drink water as much as possible
- You will get relief from the headache within few minutes
- But be sure to drink the water especially after the consumption of alcohol as it leads to dehydrate your body & leads to hangover headaches
Tips to Prevent Headaches:
Follow these tips to prevent the problem of headache & migraine.
- Massage your body by mainly covering the parts of head, neck, back & shoulders will give temporary relief from the pain of headache & migraines. Doing it regularly will give better result from the headache.
- Stretching neck & shoulders can get at muscle tension that contributes to pain. You can do these at neck range of motion like chin forward, upward & towards each shoulder and shoulder shrugs (shrug up, up & forward, up & back) and neck isometrics (press palm into forehead & hold, press palm into forehead & hold, press hand on each side of the head). Regularly doing this will helps you to get rid of the head ache problem.
- Use Heat & Cold compress, whichever is comfortable to you & there is no age to use this remedy even pregnant can use this. It is an effective medicine for headache.
- Try to avoid food which contains nitrates & nitrites like bologna, salami, smoked fish, hot dogs, bacon & ham, why because it can cause headache & migraine problem.
- Do physical therapy exercises every day, if you have excessive muscle contractions.
- Research says that bright light may also cause headache. So, take rest in darkened room & try to minimize the habits of starting at a glowing computer screen, doing the work under the sun etc., will causes headache. So, take necessary precautions before starting the work.
- Avoid smoking & drinking alcohol which causes the headache
- Make a habit of sleeping regularly at same time & waking up at the same time even in weekends also. This will helps to make your body stable & get resistance to fight against the headache problem.
- Many women gets tension headache because of the unforgiving hairdo that pulls at their scalp. So, let your hair down which helps to minimize the risk of getting headaches.
- Be in peaceful mind which reduces the stress & makes you feel happy by getting relief from the headache.
- Use the over the counter (OTC) medications will harm us to certain extent. So, try these natural remedies which helps to prevent the headache & makes you feel happy. But be sure that if you have severe & frequent headaches, consult the specialist doctor for medications.