Flu (or Influenza) is a viral infection that affects your upper respiratory tract, most commonly in winter months. This virus is contagious and can travel through a cough, sneeze or in contact with the affected person.
The flu virus affects the body through nose, eyes and mouth. Pregnant or nursing women, young children (below 9 years), aged people, heart problems, and others those who have weak immune system are more prone to get this respiratory illness.
Dry cough, runny nose, fever, headache, sneezing, congestion, chills and sweats, weakness, etc. can be experienced by the people suffering from flu. It should be treated properly on time or else, it result in developing many complications like sinus infection, bronchitis, ear infection, pneumonia, etc.
Consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment, if you’re suffering from the repeated attacks of flu. There are some natural ways to strengthen your immune system and thereby to get rid of flu virus or its attacks.
Here in this article, we will discuss about an amazing home ingredient that widely used to treat flu. It’s none other than Ginger.
Let’s have a look on why and how to use ginger for treating flu and its symptoms without any side effects.
How Does Ginger work in Treating Flu?
Here we have mentioned some ginger properties which help to treat this flu effectively.
- Ginger has antibacterial and antiviral properties that help you a lot in fighting off the flu virus and other microbes causing respiratory infections.
- The anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of ginger will help to heal the irritation, discomfort and pain caused by flu.
- It has two amazing compounds called gingerol and shagol, which helps to stimulate the perspiration and thereby reduces the body temperature.
- Digestion will often get weakened while suffering from flu. So, the intake of ginger will stimulate the appetite and thereby aids in proper digestion to consume healthy foods.
- It produces internal heat and increases the blood circulation to get rid of cold, chills or flu.
- It exhibits expectorant properties that help in loosen the mucus from the lungs and sinus. Regular usage will soothe the lung tissues.
- The usage of ginger will produce excess sweat in the body, which in turn flushes out the toxins and thereby prevents this infection effectively.
- It contains oleoresins which help to prevent the formation of excess mucus and thereby clears congestion, cold or flu.
How to Use Ginger for Flu?
Here are some best ways of using ginger for curing flu and its symptoms. The only thing you have to do is to follow these ginger remedies regularly till you get complete relief from the flu.
Method – 1: (Ginger)
Ginger in any form like fresh ginger, dry ginger or ginger powder to treat flu.
- Cut a small piece of fresh ginger into slices.
- Start chewing this ginger slice slowly to get its juice.
- Repeat the same for 2 – 3 times daily till you cured flu completely.
- Or include ginger in your daily diet like adding it in your curries, rice items, salads, soups, etc.
- Also, consume ginger candies, ginger lozenges, ginger tinctures, ginger cookies, etc. while suffering from flu virus.
Method – 2: (Ginger Tea)
Ginger tea boost up the immune system and improves blood circulation to get rid of flu. Here are few ways of preparing ginger tea.
- Pour 1 ½ cup of water in a saucepan and place it on the stove to bring it a boil. Then add 1 – inch fresh ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder or 1 inch dry ginger) in it. Simmer for 5 minutes and turn off the heat. Steep for 5 – 10 minutes and strain it to consume the tea. If needed, add honey and fresh lemon juice to this ginger tea before sipping.
- Add 2 cinnamon sticks, 1/2 cup of fresh ginger slices and 6 cups of water in a pan and place it on the stove on medium heat for 20 minutes. Stir well by adding honey and strain the tea to drink it. Regular intake of this tea will definitely help you in relieving flu and other respiratory issues.
Method – 3: (Ginger Juice)
Ginger fights on the virus causing flu and honey soothes the irritated throat with its soothing nature. So, this combinational process will help you to get clear the flu along with the discomforts caused by it.
- Extract the juice of ginger freshly and pour 1 teaspoon of this juice in a small bowl.
- Then add 1/2 teaspoon of honey to it and stir well.
- Consume this mix to clear the flu virus completely.
- Continue the intake of this mixture regularly for quick results.
Note: Or simply chew fresh ginger pieces along with some raw honey and swallow it to cure the problem.
Method – 4: (Ginger with Lemon)
Lemon has many essential nutrients like vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, bioflavonoids, etc. which help to strengthen the immune system. It also exhibits antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that help to deal with flu virus.
Here are few ways of using ginger and lemon for treating flu.
- Cut a fresh lemon into slices and place them in a jar. Grate a piece of fresh ginger and add this to lemon jar. Then add enough honey and stir well till the jar is full. Keep it aside for few minutes and take 1 tablespoon of this mix and stir it in 1 glass of warm water. Drink it daily to get rid of cold and flu.
- Place 3 ginger slices and 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a mug. Then pour 1 ½ cups of hot water into the mug and steep for 5 – 8 minutes. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon and stir well by adding 1 teaspoon of honey. Consume this tonic regularly to get rid of flu.
- Heat 1 cup of water in a pan and add 1/4 teaspoon each of turmeric, grated ginger and cayenne pepper in it. Stir and simmer it for 10 – 12 minutes. Strain and add 1/2 tablespoon of honey. Stir and consume this warm liquid by inhaling the vapor while drinking to get relief from cold and flu.
Method – 5: (Ginger Steam)
The steam will remove the mucus and clear the congestion. This ginger steam will give some effective relief from runny nose, sore throat and fever that caused by influenza. Follow the steam process regularly at night before bedtime to get proper sleep by enhancing the proper functioning of respiratory tract.
Here are some ways of using ginger steam to treat flu.
- Wash a piece of fresh ginger and chop it into small pieces. Pour these ginger slices in a large bowl filled with boiling water. Drape a towel over the head and bend down towards the bowl with a gap of 4 – 6 inches. Inhale the steam from ginger water and exhale it. Continue this process for 5 minutes and relax.
- Place a pan filled with 1/2 liter water on the stove and bring it to a boil. Then add 2 teaspoons of freshly chopped ginger and turn off the heat. Now add 2 teaspoons of eucalyptus essential oil in it and pour this water in a large bowl and start inhale as I mentioned in ginger water steam. Do it twice daily.
You can also try drinking Ginger Ale to get rid of flu, cold, stomach flu, vomiting or nausea with this Homemade Ginger Ale.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always remember that the best way to deal with this flu is to treat the problem as soon as you recognize the initial symptoms. Also, prefer natural antibiotics (or home remedies) instead of using antiviral medications.
- Apply ginger oil on the aching muscles to get rid of body or joint pains, which are quite common while suffering from flu attack.
- Ginger can interact with certain medications like blood thinners, beta – blockers, anti-inflammatory drugs, immune suppressants, etc. So, consult your doctor before taking any ginger supplement.
- Those who are suffering from certain health issues like bowel disease, gallbladder or heart problems and diabetes are suggested to avoid the intake of ginger for clearing the flu.
- Never ever share things or get close contact with people affected by flu.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy drinks and well balanced diet to get quick relief from flu.
- Get plenty of rest at home while suffering from cold and flu to re-energize you and heal the problem quickly.
- Rinse your hands regularly before and after eating food and also clean the areas where we frequently use like keywords, cell phones, monitors, furniture and others to prevent the spread of flu virus.
- The suggested dosage is up to 2000 mg in divided doses with food. Avoid consuming more than 4 gms of ginger per day (including all types and all forms of ginger) and excess dosage will result in mouth irritation, heartburn and diarrhea.
Try these natural ways of using Ginger for Flu. Do you know any other successful ginger methods for treating flu? Then share it with us in the below comments box.