Sore throat or pharyngitis is a sign of many upcoming health problems like cold, cough, flu, strep throat, etc. into your body.
It is an inflammation of the throat that caused due to viral or bacterial infections, smoking, allergies, dry air, environmental irritants, certain illness, excessive usage of the throat.
When you’re suffering from a sore throat then the simple daily activities like eating, drinking and speaking will turn to a matter of severe pain. So, to get rid of the pain and discomfort, natural gargles play an important role.
Regular follow-up of gargling will not only treat a sore throat by clearing the infection but also prevents the risk of attacking cold or flu.
Have a look at the best natural gargle recipes for treating your sore throat.
Gargle Recipe – 1: (Salt Water)
Salt loosens the thick mucus and flushes out the irritants or bacteria causing a sore throat. It draws water out from the swollen tissue and reduces the swelling in the throat. It is a most commonly used gargle recipe.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and pour this water into your water.
- Continue gargle for 20 – 35 seconds and spit out the water after gargling.
- Do this process several times a day for few days to get relief from a sore throat.
For information about Salt Water Gargle, click here.
Gargle Recipe – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that fight off the infection causing microbes and soothes your throat. It is a natural expectorant that loosens the phlegm and makes your easy to breathe or swallow.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of sage, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon alum and 3/8 cup of apple cider vinegar in 1/8 cup of water.
- Stir well and use it as your gargle mix to soothe a sore throat and ease your painful nasal passage.
- Repeat it several times a day till you get complete relief from a sore throat and its symptoms.
For more information on Apple Cider Vinegar for Sore Throat, click here.
Gargle Recipe – 3: (Ginger with Honey)
Both ginger and honey have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that not only prevent the infection but also soothe your throat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of grated organic ginger in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Stir well and simmer it for few minutes.
- Allow it to cool down slightly and mix 1 teaspoon of honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper in it.
- Use this mix to gargle your mouth for few seconds.
- Continue gargling for several times in a day to get rid of the problem.
Note: Or mix 1 teaspoon each of powdered ginger and honey in the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Stir well and use it gargle.
Want to know more about Honey for Sore Throat, click here.
Gargle Recipe – 4: (Lemon)
Citric acid and vitamin C in lemon juice will help to break up the mucus and soothes the throat from pain and irritation. It increases the salvation to thin the mucus and moist your painful throat.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of organic honey in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and use this mix to gargle your throat to get rid of a sore throat.
- Do it several times a day to get rid of a sore throat and its symptoms.
Click here to know more about Lemon for Sore Throat.
Gargle Recipe – 5: (Cayenne Pepper)
Capsaicin in cayenne pepper helps to alleviate the pain and inflammation by blocking the substance P, which transmits pain signals to the brain.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of honey in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and use this mix to gargle your mouth to get relief from a sore throat.
- Repeat several times a day to reduce a sore throat and its symptoms.
Note: Or mix some powdered cayenne pepper to 1 cup of hot green tea. Use it to gargle for every hour to relieve you from the painful throat.
Tips and Precautions:
- Other than these, you can also mix certain ingredients like ground clove, salt, lemon juice, turmeric, tomato juice, goldenseal, Echinacea tincture, myrrh, licorice powder, baking soda and salt, honey, etc. in warm water and use it as your gargle mix.
- You can also gargle with certain herbal teas like wheatgrass juice, green tea, ginger tea, raspberry tea, peppermint tea, chamomile tea and sage tea to get relief from sore throat and its discomforts.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water, herbal teas and hot soups to get rid of soreness.
- Get plenty of rest which allows the body to strengthen itself and fight against the illness.
- Consume a healthy and well-balanced diet with fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid smoking and other environmental pollutants causing you a sore throat.
- Run a humidifier or vaporizer to add moisture to the air and makes your breath comfortably.
- Consult your doctor if you don’t get any relief from your sore throat or its symptoms, as it can be caused due to any health problems.
- Always prefer warm water for gargling, as warm water loosens the mucus and gives your relief from the soreness of your throat and other respiratory problems.
Have you tried any of these gargles for treating your sore throat? Do you know any other gargles? Then share it with us in the comments section.