An eyelid cyst (or) chalazion is a small lump that occurs under the skin of the eyelid (lower or upper) due to a blocked oil gland. It appears commonly on adults rather than children.
It is similar to a stye and thus characterized by hard lump and swelling which spreads to the area around your eye and cause pain and irritation. It also results in redness, swollen and painful when infected.
Blockage and inflammation of meibomian glands (an oil producing) in the eyelids are the main cause of eyelid cysts. Also, people who touch their eyelids with unclean hands are more infected with this problem.
However, the eyelid cysts are not a serious problem but it obstructs your vision or any other eye problems. It can heal within 2 – 6 weeks on its own but the usage of natural home remedies will heal the cysts quickly.
Home Remedies for Eyelid Cysts:
Here are the best remedies used to clear eyelid without any side effects. All you need to follow them regularly till you get complete relief from the problem.
Remedy – 1: (Warm Compress)
The heat that comes from a warm compress will help to increase the blood circulation to the affected area and thus promotes the drainage of the cysts. It effectively reduces your eye pain and swelling.
- Soak a clean soft cloth in warm water for few minutes and wring it out to remove excess water.
- Hold the warm, moist cloth on your cysts affected eyelid (by closing your eyes) for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Repeat the same process for 3 – 4 times daily till you get relief from chalazions.
Note: Also, try facial steaming and rinsing your face with warm water to get rid of eyelid cysts.
Remedy – 2: (Guava Leaves)
Guava leaves have anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce your pain and swelling. It also speed-up the healing process to recover you from those painful eyelid cysts.
- Rinse 5 – 6 guava leaves thoroughly and place them in a microwave for few seconds to warm up.
- Or just place them in a pan of boiling water for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Then place a warm leaf on the eyelid cyst affected eye area and cover it with a moist, warm cloth.
- Let it sit for few minutes and whenever the leaf cools down then replace it with a new warm guava leaf.
- Continue doing the same for twice daily till you get rid of the problem.
Note: Or Acacia leaves also exhibit same properties like guava leaves. So, do the same with these leaves for treating eyelid cysts.
Remedy – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar has antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the irritated and painful eyelid area. It also fights against the infection and clears it quickly by balancing the pH levels of the skin.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar into 1 cup of hot water.
- Then soak a cotton ball in this mix and wring out to remove excess.
- Dab the cotton ball on the affected eye area for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Do the same process 3 – 4 times daily for few days.
Note: Or drink 1 cup of water mixed with 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar for twice daily to heal the cysts from inside the body.
Remedy – 4: (Parsley)
Parsley is effective in removing the toxic materials out from your body (including your eyelid cysts) which in turn helps to speed up your healing. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that clear the infection and relieves you from pain and swelling.
- Put a handful of fresh parsley leaves in a small bowl.
- Then pour a cup of boiling water in it and let it cool down for few minutes.
- Now dip a clean washcloth in this parsley infused water and squeeze it to remove excess water.
- Apply this warm and moist cloth all over your affected eyelid area.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Regular follow – up of this process for 3 times daily until you get relief from these cysts on your eyelid.
Remedy – 5: (Castor Oil)
Castor oil exhibits many amazing healing properties like anti – inflammatory and antibiotic that relieves you from pain and inflammation caused due to chalazion. Gentle massage with castor oil will drain out the cysts and reduces its size to heal quickly.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder in enough castor oil till it forms a thick paste.
- Rinse the eyelid cyst with warm water and pat dry the area.
- Apply this castor oil paste on the cyst and let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Wash the area with warm water and repeat the same for 3 times daily till the cysts are cleared.
Note: Or apply castor oil on the eyelid affected area using a cotton swab for twice daily after applying warm compress.
Remedy – 6: (Tea Bags)
Tea bags (especially green tea bags) has catechins, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the redness, pain, and inflammation. It has a rich content of tannic acid that removes toxins and speeds up the healing process.
- Prepare a tea by dipping 1 green tea bag in a cup of warm water for 4 – 6 minutes.
- Then remove the tea bag and squeeze out to remove excess water.
- Now hold this warm damp tea bag on your affected eyelid for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Continue doing the same process for few times daily until you get relief from these eyelid cysts.
Tips and Precautions:
- Massaging your eyelid gently will accelerate the draining process and thus promote faster healing. Massage with clean fingers in the upward direction after applying a warm compress for twice daily.
- Aloe vera has skin soothing property that reduces redness, inflammation and swelling along with clearing infection. So, apply aloe vera gel on the affected eye area and rinse off with lukewarm water after 15 – 20 minutes. Repeat it few times daily for a quick relief from the problem.
- Gently rinse your eyelids regularly with a baby shampoo mixed in lukewarm water using your clean hands and fingers.
- Avoid sharing your towels or handkerchiefs or eye makeup or other cosmetics with anyone, as this might cause cysts on your eyelids.
- Always keep the eye areas clean and dry. Also, avoid touching or rubbing your eyes often or eye makeup while you’re suffering from this problem.
- Never ever squeeze or scratch the cysts, as it opens up and spread the infection to other body parts.
- Replace your eye makeup products like mascara for at least a period of every 6 months.
- Drink plenty of water and include flax seeds oil, fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet to strengthen your immune system and avoid cysts in your eyelid.
- Also, the application of few drops of onion juice, coconut oil, lavender oil, honey, egg white, tea tree oil mixed with olive oil, baking soda paste, bitter gourd slices, garlic juice or fresh lemon juice on the eyelid cysts will help to speed up the recovery process.
- Rinsing the affected eye area with alum water (alum granules mixed in water) OR rinsing with coriander seeds water (coriander seeds boiled in water and cool down) will also help to get relief from the problem.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t find any relief from the problem or if your symptoms persist for proper diagnose and treatment.
That’s all for now about Natural Remedies to get Rid of Eyelid Cysts, hope you’ll use them to clear the chalazion. Do you know any other remedies for treating eyelid cysts? Then share it with us.