Our scalp has sebaceous glands which produce the essential oil to maintain the scalp well moisturized but due to certain factors like scalp infection, frequent shampooing, excessive usage of hair styling products, poor and unhealthy diet, stress, hormonal changes, dehydration, underlying health issues (like eczema, psoriasis, dandruff), dry and cool weather, etc. will affect the oil production and thereby results in dry scalp.
Dry scalp causes itching, flaking and frizzy hair and if not treated on time, then it results in weakening the hair follicles by drying the scalp and thus results in hair fall.
Are you one among those group of people suffering from dry scalp and getting worried about this problem? Don’t worry, as any worries or tension will even worsen the problem.
There are so many natural remedies that add essential moisturize to your scalp and treat this problem effectively without spending time and money in spas or parlors.
Home Remedies for Dry Scalp:
Here are the best remedies explained that effectively treats your problem at home without any side effects. You need to choose the best and follow them regularly till you get complete relief from the problem.
Remedy – 1: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil treats hair and scalp problems effectively. It stimulates the sebaceous glands to produce essential oil, supplies essential nutrients, enhances the blood circulation to hair follicles and scalp and also locks the moisture content to prevent dryness on the scalp.
- Slightly warm some coconut oil and apply it all over the scalp and hair.
- Massage it gently for few minutes till the oil saturates completely into the scalp.
- Let it sit for at least 2 hours to overnight and then shampoo your hair to get rid of dry scalp.
- Continue doing the same process for 2 – 3 times a week till you get complete relief from the problem.
Note: Or you can use any other oils like almond oil, castor oil, olive oil, sesame seed oil, mustard oil or jojoba oil instead of coconut oil.
Remedy – 2: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil has antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties that treat the fungal infections and other microbes causing dry scalp. It has an anti-inflammatory property that soothes the scalp and relieves you from the dryness, itching, and flaking.
- Mix 5 – 7 drops of tea tree oil into the shampoo and stir well.
- Use it to shampoo your hair and scalp.
- Rinse the hair thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Repeat it regularly till you get complete relief from dry scalp.
- Or simply use tea tree oil based shampoo for treating this dry scalp problem.
- Also, you can mix tea tree oil in conditioner (or) mix 5 – 7 drops of tea tree oil in enough water and use it to rinse the hair after shampooing.
- Combine 2 – 3 drops each of neem oil, lavender oil and rosemary oil and 4 – 5 drops of tea tree oil in 1 teaspoon of carrier oil. Massage this oil mix on the scalp and hair and let it sit for overnight. Rinse off with a mild shampoo and do it regularly for twice a week.
Remedy – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has natural antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that clear the germs causing scalp infections. It also neutralizes the pH of the scalp to prevent over drying on the scalp. It reduces the itching, flaking sensation on the scalp and moisturizes it to treat dryness.
- Mix 1/2 cup each of raw, organic ACV and water in a bowl.
- Apply this mix on the scalp and massage it gently for few minutes.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes and rinse your hair with shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Repeat it regularly till you relieved from dry scalp.
Note: Or mix a handful of rosemary in 3 cups of boiling water. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Strain and let it cool. Mix 1/2 cup of ACV and 10 drops each of peppermint and rosemary oil in that water. Stir well and pour it in an empty spray bottle. Use it to spray on your hair after washing it.
Remedy – 4: (Lemon)
Lemon has antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that treat germs causing infections on the scalp. It exfoliates the scalp to remove dead cells and other dirt that clogs the hair follicles. It also moisturizes the scalp to prevent dryness.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Stir well and apply this mix on the scalp.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and rinse off with shampoo and warm water.
- Regular follow – up of this process will help to get rid of dry scalp.
- Or mix few drops of fresh lemon juice in 1 cup of warm coconut oil and apply it on the scalp. Wrap your hair in warm towel and wait for at least an hour. Take out the towel and rinse the hair.
- Or mix equal quantities of fresh lemon juice and organic coconut oil in 1 cup of fuller’s earth to make a paste. Apply this paste on the scalp and wash your hair with shampoo after 3 – 4 hours.
- Also, mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in 3 tablespoons of yogurt and apply it on the scalp. rinse off with a mild shampoo after 10 – 15 minutes.
Remedy – 5: (Egg Yolk and Olive Oil)
Egg yolk has essential proteins and deep conditioning properties that nourish the hair and prevent dryness. Olive oil helps to moisturize the hair follicles and treat the problem effectively.
- Add 2 – 3 egg yolks, few drops of water and 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Stir well and apply this mix on your damp hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for about 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off the hair with lukewarm water.
- Dry your hair and do it regularly for 1 – 2 times a week.
Note: Or add few drops of essential oil in this mix to prevent the egg smell and don’t apply conditioner to the hair after this egg mask.
Remedy – 6: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera has an excellent cleansing, soothing and moisturizing properties that help to treat dry scalp.
- Extract fresh aloe vera gel from an aloe leaf and blend the gel.
- Then add few drops of essential oil into it and stir well.
- Apply it on the scalp and hair and wash it off with water after 20 – 30 minutes.
- Continue this process regularly till you get complete relief from this problem.
- Also, use aloe vera based shampoo and conditioner (or) rub the rind of aloe vera on the scalp to get rid of dry scalp.
- Avoid using aloe vera for dry scalp if you’re prone to cold, as the cooling spreads to the entire body.
Remedy – 7: (Avocado)
Avocado is rich in minerals, vitamins and other natural oils that help a lot in preventing dry scalp. Regular application will make your hair soft, shiny and well moisturized.
- Mash 1 ripe avocado and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of honey in it.
- Stir well and apply it on your dry hair and scalp.
- Cover it with a shower cap and wait for 30 – 45 minutes to rinse off with mild shampoo and water.
- Do the same process regularly till you’re dry scalp problem is cleared completely.
Tips and Precautions:
- Use a beer shampoo to add moisture and shine to your dry and dull hair. Also, apply other natural remedies like mayonnaise, honey with olive oil, Listerine with baby oil, baking soda paste (baking soda with water), onion juice with olive oil, Epsom salt with coconut oil, mashed banana, etc. on the scalp and hair for treating dry scalp.
- Avoid over styling or over drying your hair, as it clears moisturize and oil on the scalp and makes it look dry and frizzy.
- Drink plenty of water and include a healthy diet (rich in omega – 3 fatty acids, vitamins B, C & E zinc or iron) to get rid of this dryness on the scalp.
- Avoid the intake of caffeine, alcohol, sugar and sugary beverages. Also reduce the intake of vitamin A, as it worsens this problem.
- Always check out the ingredients in any oil or shampoos or hair care products before buying and make sure they are free from sulphates and paraben (SLS).
- Apply oil to your hair regularly to maintain a proper balance of oil and moisture on your scalp and also to improve blood circulation to prevent dryness on the scalp.
- Consult your doctor if you’re even experiencing dryness on the scalp for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Avoid over exposure to direct sunlight or harsh climatic conditions, as they cause excessive dryness.
Try these natural remedies for treating your Dry Scalp. Do you know any other successful remedies for dry scalp? Then share it with us in the below comments box.