Drowsiness is defined as a feeling sleepy in daytime. This occurs during the day and affected the people to fall asleep at the most inappropriate times. This conditioned is also termed as somnolence or hypersomnia.
It is caused due to many reasons like insomnia or sleep disorders, stress, depression or anxiety, hypercalcemia, hyponatremia, hypothyroidism, boredom, migraine, odd working hours, poor diet, body pains, certain medications, diabetes, lack of exercise, improper lifestyles, etc.
It exhibits certain symptoms like lethargy, forgetfulness, irritability, excess sleepiness during the day, less concentration, less energy, etc.
It affects your work productivity and also causes havoc in the personal life. Stop worrying! We can easily fight drowsiness with some lifestyle changes, proper sleep schedules and consuming a healthy diet.
Natural Ways to Treat Drowsiness:
Here are some best ways to fight against the daytime sleepiness. All you need is to follow them regularly to get complete relief from the drowsiness.
1. Follow a Regular Sleep Schedule:
The main reasons for this daytime sleepiness are disturbed sleep and lack of sleep. So, it’s essential to set a proper sleep schedule to get rid of this problem. Different people go to sleep at different timings but the only thing to remember is to get an average of 7 – 8 hours of perfect sleep.
Here are few tips that help you to have sound sleep, which not fights drowsiness but also helps to prevent fatigue, low energy, stress, and depression.
- Always maintain a constant bedtime and wake up time so, that your body will set into that sleeping routine.
- Keep your bedroom dark, which promotes undisturbed sleep. If possible, use shades or blinds to avoid the exterior light and also use good quality mattress, pillows or comforter to enjoy adequate sleep.
- Try to make a habit of reading a book or doing some relaxing yoga stretches for 20 minutes before bed time which help you to relax your body and brain from stress.
- Avoid the screen time starting at your computers, phones or TV’s for the first 20 minutes that you are awake and also for the last 20 minutes before bedtime.
2. Enjoy Sunlight:
Sunlight helps to regulate your biological clock, so exposure yourself to the sunlight. This will keep your energetic and alert throughout the day. You can also get plenty of vitamin D (more at the time of sunrise and sunset), which helps to prevent sleep problem like drowsiness.
So, simply wake up in the morning and enjoy the sunlight by going to a walk for at least 15 minutes daily to get rid of daytime sleepiness.
3. Lemon Water:
Lemon water helps to flush out the harmful toxins from the body and also hydrates your body properly to prevent dehydration, as dehydration lowers the supply of oxygen levels into the brain and thus makes you feel tired and sleepy all the day.
- Squeeze 1 lemon to extract its juice and mix it in 1 glass of lukewarm water.
- If you want, also add 1/2 teaspoon of raw honey to this lemon water.
- Stir well and drink it in the morning on an empty stomach.
- For best results, drink this lemon water 2 – 3 times daily.
Note: Also, consume certain foods that naturally hydrated your body like watermelon, yogurt, broccoli, grapefruits, oranges, carrots, etc. which has more of water content.
4. Face Wash using Cold Water:
Splash your face with some cold water when you’re feeling drowsy. When there is a sudden change in the temperature that dispels your feel of sleepy and also improves the energy levels.
For best results, stand in front of an air conditioner after splashing your face with cold water to complete get rid of this problem. Or simply take a cool shower in the morning to improve your blood circulation and to get rid of sleepiness.
5. Regular Exercise:
Exercising regularly for about 30 minutes a day will help to improve your energy and prevent the feel of drowsy. Over time, it definitely improves the quality of your sleep along with keeping your fit and healthy.
- Go for a brisk walk of 30 minutes in the morning.
- Do some aerobic exercises and stretching exercises in the evening but not before bedtime.
- Breathing exercises or yoga postures in the morning will help to improve proper blood circulation and thereby relieves your drowsiness and stress.
- Remember that never ever overexert yourself in doing these exercises, as it makes you feel exhausted.
6. Green Tea:
Green tea has polyphenols that promote sound sleep and also fights against fatigue and stress by boosting your stamina and energy. So, drink green tea 2 – 3 cups throughout the day.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves in 1 cup of hot water.
- Cover it and let it steep for 5 minutes.
- After that, strain the tea and drink it by adding some honey to it.
- Also, you can also prepare a green tea bag by steeping 1 green tea bag in 1 cup of hot water for few minutes and drink it by removing the tea bag.
7. Have Healthy Breakfast and Snacks:
Never ever skip your breakfast, as it lowers your blood sugar and thereby less energy. So, always consume a healthy breakfast that is low in fat and high in proteins and complex carbohydrates to keep yourself active throughout the day.
- Include milk, whole grain bread, fiber-rich fruits, cereals, smoothies, eggs, plain yogurt, nuts, oatmeal, cottage cheese, etc. as your breakfast menu.
- Also, avoid heavy lunch and include nuts, sandwiches, fruits, juices and other healthy foods as a part of the mid – morning and mid – afternoon snacks.
- It’s best to complete your dinner 2 – 3 hours before bedtime for proper digestion and undisturbed sleep.
Aromatherapy is one great way to prevent daytime sleepiness, fatigue, insomnia, low energy, headaches, etc. But be sure to choose the best essential oil for treating your problem.
- Simply place few drops of essential oil (peppermint, lavender, basil or rosemary) on your napkin.
- Sniff it to keep yourself awake and alert.
- Also, add few drops of essential oil in your bathwater and bathe with this water. (or) diffuse this oil throughout the living room or office for best results.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Consult your doctor if you feel drowsy after using any new medication or a sustained a head injury or suffering from certain medical or sleep disorders for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Omega – 3 fatty acids will boost up the immunity and fight drowsiness, fatigue, and depression. Include walnuts, peanut butter, flaxseeds, fatty fish (salmon, lake trout, mackerel or sardines), soy products, eggs or canola oil in your diet.
- Cut off the foods that cause drowsiness like caffeinated beverages, pasta, pastries, white rice, alcohol, processed or smoked meat, sugars, potatoes, etc. from your diet.
- Get some body massage to relax yourself and fight against the stress and depression.
- Take a quick nap during the daytime, chew a sugar free gum, listen to your favorite music, refresh your mind by taking short breaks, go for a walk for 3 – 4 minutes, have a bright light in your workplace, etc. has to be included in your lifestyle to get rid of daytime sleepiness.
- Include certain herbs like cayenne pepper and ginger in the diet and avoid saturated fats and junk foods in the diet to prevent drowsiness.
- Acupressure will also help you to keep alert. So, learn about acupressure points and try it to stay awake and alert with more energy levels.
- Drink plenty of water, herbal teas, clear soups, watery fruits or coconut water to get rid of dehydration and thereby drowsiness.
Get relief from the drowsiness with these tips. Do you know any other tips? Then share it with us in the below comments box.