Due to busy schedules, we are unable to take proper care on the skin and scalp (hair) and that results in many problems. Dandruff (or seborrheic dermatitis) is one such common scalp disorder that was caused by a yeast-like fungus, unhygienic hair care, cold weather, stress, dry scalp, oily scalp and unhealthy diet.
It results in shedding of dead cells from the scalp (as flakes) and that makes you feel embarrassing and also affects your self – esteem. Itching, irritation, dryness, redness and other discomforts are extra problems faced by us while suffering from dandruff.
I know that we all are tired of using anti-dandruff shampoo with no result. So, now we are going to know about an excellent natural home remedy for treating dandruff called coconut oil, which suits for everyone.
Coconut oil is an age old remedy that widely used to treat scalp and hair problems including dandruff. Let’s find out its properties which make the oil as a powerful treatment for clearing dandruff.
- It has antifungal and antibacterial property that fights against the fungus and other microbes infecting on the scalp.
- It acts as an excellent moisturizer that nourishes the scalp and removes the dryness to get clear dandruff. It also repairs the damaged hair and scalp to enhance healthy hair growth.
- It is a good conditioner that relieves you from itching and irritation. It also makes the hair softer and shiny to prevent dandruff recurrence.
- It contains medium-chain fatty acids like lauric, caprylic and capric acids as well as vitamin E that help the oil to penetrate deep into the hair shaft and scalp. Regular application will help to kill the fungus and prevents the recurrence of dandruff.
- It is an edible oil that exhibits antibiotic properties that has high viscosity and combustibility which in turn helps to cure dryness of scalp and dandruff.
- It provides all the essential nutrients for maintaining healthy scalp and hair along with giving a good aroma to the hair and scalp. It also removes the dust, dead cells and other toxins on the scalp.
- It has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that soothe the irritated scalp and relieves you from itching in a cool manner.
Hope you’re excited to use coconut oil as your dandruff control. Here are 3 effective coconut oil methods that give you an idea on how to use coconut oil for dandruff. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil alone is very effective in treating many scalp and hair problems that include dandruff, dry scalp and itchy scalp.
Steps to be followed…
- Pour some organic coconut oil in a bowl and place it in a pan of water.
- Place it on the stove to warm the oil and turn off the heat.
- Apply this warm oil on the clean scalp with your fingers.
- Be sure to massage the oil in a circular motion to spread the oil thoroughly onto the scalp.
- Wrap your hair in a shower cap and leave it on for few minutes to overnight.
- After that, rinse your hair with warm water followed by shampoo.
- Dry your hair thoroughly and repeat the same process for 3 – 4 times a week to reduce dandruff and to soothe the irritated scalp.
- Or you can apply organic coconut oil (not warmed) on the scalp and hair after shampooing and drying your hair. Let it sit for few minutes and rinse it off with water.
- Alternatively, add few drops of any essential oils like tea tree oil, lavender oil, peppermint, thyme, rosemary, oil of oregano, ylang ylang oil etc. to coconut oil and apply it on the scalp. Wash it off after few minutes.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil with Lemon Juice)
Lemon has citric nature that helps to fight against the fungi and over oiliness that causes dandruff. Coconut oil moisturizes the scalp to prevent the irritation. This combination is used to treat dandruff and itchy scalp.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply this on all over the scalp.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and let it sit for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Cleanse your hair with a mild shampoo and continue doing the process regularly for 2 – 3 times a week till you get rid of dandruff.
- Alternatively, mix 1 teaspoon of camphor to 1/2 cup of coconut oil. Store this mix in an airtight container and apply it on the scalp at night before bed time. Massage gently and leave it on for overnight. Wash it off in the morning and repeat as needed.
- Or else replace fresh lemon juice with freshly ground fenugreek powder and follow the same process.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil with Amla)
Indian gooseberry (or amla) has amazing hair benefits like it reduces hair loss, enhance hair growth and acts as a natural conditioner and scalp protector. So, this combination will form a powerful blend and makes your scalp free from dandruff and dry scalp.
Steps to be followed…
- Grate half amla and squeeze it to extract its juice in a bowl.
- Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in it and stir well.
- Place this bowl in a hot water for about 3 – 5 minutes to get lukewarm.
- Apply this warm oil mix evenly on the scalp and massage it gently for few minutes.
- Allow it to sit for about an hour or two and then wash your hair with shampoo followed by warm water.
- Do the same process regularly to get complete relief from dandruff.
- Or add organic amla juice directly in the coconut oil rather than grating and squeezing.
Tips and Precautions:
- Don’t use any conditioners while applying coconut oil on hair, as it acts as a natural conditioner.
- Avoid overheating the oil as it loses its valuable nutrients and its properties when overheated. It should be slightly warm.
- Prefer organic and virgin coconut oil rather than normal oils for treating your scalp problems.
- Include coconut oil in your daily diet to get rid of the problems from inside out.
- Don’t scratch your head or scalp as it irritates the scalp and creates soreness. Also, avoid using anti-dandruff shampoos daily because it removes the natural oils on the scalp.
- Brush your hair regularly especially after shampooing and drying your hair to increase the blood circulation.
- Make sure to dry your hair thoroughly after rinsing to prevent the fungus attack or any other damage to the hair.
- Follow healthy diet, maintain proper hair care routine, avoid stress, etc. to get rid of dandruff and its recurrence.
- Consult your hair specialist if you’re suffering from chronic dandruff or didn’t get any relief after using coconut oil for proper diagnose and treatment.