Constipation is a very common digestive issue that caused due to fast food and unhealthy lifestyle. It is quite embarrassing to discuss or deal with this problem. It affects people at all ages.
It is mainly caused due to lack of fiber (poor diet), dehydration, lack of physical activity, stress, irregular defecation habit, usage of certain medications, etc. will make the feces remain in the colon and harden and thereby making it more difficult to defecate.
Abdominal bloating, acidity, bad breath, depression, mouth ulcer, headache, loss of appetite, etc. are some symptoms of constipation. There are many natural remedies available for treating constipation which we are going to learn in this article.
Home Remedies for Constipation:
Instead of using over the counter laxative, you can try some effective natural laxative to get rid of constipation. Let’s have a look at these natural remedies for constipation.
Remedy – 1: (Lemon)
Lemon stimulates the digestive system and flushes out the harmful toxins from the colon. Regular intake will regulate the bowel movements and clear the feces from the colon.
- Extract the juice of 1/2 a lemon and mix it in 1 glass of warm water.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a little of honey in warm water and stir well.
- Drink this warm lemon water in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Regular intake of this water will help to get rid of constipation.
Remedy – 2: (Castor Oil)
Castor oil acts as a natural laxative that helps to soften the stools and thus stimulates the bowel movement to get rid of constipation.
- Swallow 1 – 2 teaspoons of castor oil on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Or mix castor oil in any fruit juice and have it to get relief from constipation.
- Within few hours, it stimulates the bowel movement and repeating this method for a prolonged period will cause side effects.
Remedy – 3: (Figs)
Figs are rich in fiber and act as a natural laxative that helps to treat chronic constipation. You can use both fresh and dried figs to treat constipation.
- Soak 2 – 3 almonds and dried figs in water for few hours.
- Then after, peel the almonds and grind the ingredients to make a paste.
- Now consume this paste along with 1 tablespoon of honey at night before bedtime.
- Continue this process whenever you suffered from constipation.
Note: Or soak 10 – 12 raisins in 1/2 cup of water for overnight. Strain the water in the morning and consume it on empty stomach and drink that water to get rid of constipation.
Remedy – 4: (Olive Oil)
Olive oil acts as a natural laxative that stimulates the digestive system which in turn maintains the proper functioning of the colon to prevent constipation.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of olive oil and fresh lemon juice.
- Consume this mix in the morning on an empty stomach to enhance the bowel movement.
- Or simply consume 1 teaspoon of olive oil to soften the stool and regulate the bowel movement.
- Intake of olive oil when you’re suffering from constipation will give relief from the problem.
Remedy – 5: (Honey)
Honey exhibit a mild laxative property that loosens the stool and regulates the bowel movement. It adds moisture and bulk to the stool and makes it pass easily from the colon.
- Add 1 tablespoon of raw honey and 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice in 1 glass of warm water.
- Stir well and drink it in every morning on an empty stomach to get rid of the problem.
Note: Or simply consume 2 teaspoons of honey for twice daily till you get complete relief from the problem.
Remedy – 6: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) acts as a natural laxative that induces the bowel movements and also has pectin (water soluble fiber) that enhances proper digestion and clears constipation.
Read on to know more about Apple Cider Vinegar for Constipation.
Remedy – 7: (Spinach)
Spinach is rich in fiber that digests the food and clears the intestine to stimulate the bowel movement. It has various components that cleanse, reconstruct and regenerate the intestinal tract.
Learn more about Spinach for Constipation.
Remedy – 8: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda acts as a natural antacid that re-alkalizes the stomach and thereby helps for regular bowel movement. It is natural laxative that loosens the stool and passes it easily without any pain.
Learn more about How Baking Soda treats Constipation.
Remedy – 9: (Prunes)
Prunes are rich in both soluble and insoluble fiber that helps to add bulk and water to the stool and passes it easily from the colon to get rid of constipation.
Get in detail about How Prunes Prevent Constipation.
Remedy – 10: (Diet Plan)
Diet plays a major role in treating constipation and preventing its recurrence. Plan your diet as mentioned below to get rid of this digestive disorder.
- Include fiber rich foods to add bulk to the stool and softens it to come out easily.
- Include fruits like berries, guava, oranges, kiwi, apple, banana, apricots, papaya, grapes, plums, pears, pineapple, etc. in your diet.
- Intake of dried fruits like prunes, raisins, figs, dates, etc. as a part of your daily diet.
- Vegetables like artichokes, beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, peas, spinach, potatoes, asparagus, avocado, Brussels sprouts, radishes, zucchini, lettuce, etc. in your diet.
- Seeds (like coriander seeds, fennel seeds, flaxseeds) and whole grains (like brown rice, popcorn, rye, barley, quinoa, oats, whole wheat or bulgur) which are rich in fiber that helps for the regular bowel movement and clears the problem of constipation.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy drinks like herbal teas (anise tea, dandelion tea, ginger tea or peppermint tea), soups, coconut water, fruit or vegetable juices, etc. to prevent dehydration and also to flush out the toxins from the body.
Tips and Precautions:
- If you have severe pain or bleeding during bowel movements, consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Regular exercise will help to maintain healthy and active digestive tract and thereby prevent the recurrence of constipation.
- Also, remember that abuse or over usage of laxative will results in diarrhea, stomach upset and other digestive problems.
- Make sure to do some test before using any ingredient to know whether you’re allergic to that ingredient.
- Intake of 1 cup of tea or coffee will help to move the feces in the colon but don’t consume in more quantities.
- Taking warm water bath will help to ease the pain that caused after eliminating the hard stools.
- Also be sure to go when nature calls, as it will clear the bowel movement without any pain and discomforts.
Try these natural remedies for constipation and get relief from the problem. Do you have any remedy that worked best for you? Share your experience, queries, and suggestions in the below comments section.