An unexplained or intermittent crying of a healthy child for more than 2 – 3 times a day is termed as baby colic. This situation lasts for more than 3 hours a day, 3 days a week and 3 weeks.
It is a distressing and frustrating situation to both baby and parents. However, the exact cause is not known but it may happen due to air trapped in the abdominal cavity and parents who smoke during or after pregnancy are more prone to developing colic.
Pain, predictable crying episodes, crying without proper reason, moaning, cramping, intense crying, changes in their posture, finicky behavior, etc. are some of the symptoms. Lactose intolerance, feeding of anxious parents to the baby, allergies, changes of good bacteria in the digestive system, etc. are some of the causes for baby colic.
Don’t panic, you can handle this situation properly and end the colic situation with some simple natural home remedies which alleviate the child’s fussiness and discomfort.
Home Remedies for Baby Colic:
Here are the best natural ways that widely used by many moms for treating colic in their babies. Follow them regularly to get rid of the problem.
Method – 1: (Warm Bath)
A warm bath to your baby while suffering from colic times will give a soothing effect to them and this also distracts the baby from the pain and irritation and thus makes them relax and sleep without crying.
- Add few drops of lavender oil in your baby’s bathtub which is filled with warm water.
- Bath your baby in this water for few minutes and gently massage their tummy to relieve painful trapped gas.
- Dry your baby’s body using a soft towel and sleep them.
- Continue doing the same process regularly till they get relief from this colic problem.
Note: Or warm compress on your baby’s tummy will give relief from gas and soothes them. So, dip a towel in warm water and wring out the excess water. Place it on your baby’s tummy and rub gently in circular motions. But avoid placing hot water bottle or heating on your babies.
Method – 2: (Oil Massage)
Massage will help the baby to digest properly and prevent gas that trapped in the baby stomach, which in turn relieves your baby from the colic pain and cry. Regular oil massage will help your baby to sleep properly after each feeding.
- Slightly warm the oil (olive oil or coconut oil or almond oil) for few minutes.
- Then apply this oil on your baby’s tummy and massage gently for few minutes in circular motions.
- For best results, massage your baby’s hands, pelvis, and feet for few minutes.
- Repeat the same process for several times daily till you get relief from the problem.
Method – 3: (Chamomile Tea)
Chamomile has sedative and antispasmodic properties that give some relief from the intestinal cramping and induce relaxation.
- Place a teaspoon of chamomile flowers in 1 cup of hot water.
- Cover it and steep it for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Strain the tea and pour the warm tea into your baby bottle and feed them to get rid of the problem.
- Repeat the same for once or twice daily till you get relief from the problem.
- Also, use pre-packed chamomile tea bags instead of flowers (or) if you’re a nursing mother then drink 1 – 2 cups of chamomile tea (not allergic to pollens).
- Or use dried basil leaves or dried mint leaves instead of using chamomile flowers and do the same process as above.
Method – 4: (Asafetida)
Asafetida has an anti-flatulent property that aids in digestion and relieves your baby from the trapped gas.
- Mix a pinch of asafetida powder into 1 tablespoon of water.
- Heat the mix for few minutes and cool it.
- Then spread this mix around the baby’s navel and rub it gently.
- Repeat the same for 2 – 3 times daily to get rid of baby colic.
Note: Also, mix a pinch of asafetida powder in your baby’s food, those who started eating solid foods (or) breastfeeding mothers can drink 1 glass of warm milk by adding 1/2 teaspoon of asafetida powder for twice daily.
Tips and Precautions:
- Exercise (knee pushes) to your baby will ensure proper digestion and relieves colic pain. Lay your baby and hold their knees gently. Bend the legs at the knees slowly and start pushing them towards tummy. Hold this position for a count of 4 – 6 and continue several times daily.
- Protein in milk or baby formulas or breastfeeding or dairy products will cause colic in some babies. So, eliminate dairy products and replace with soy products for 2 – 3 days to get rid of colic caused due to lactose intolerance.
- Playing soothing music will help to cool down your baby from colic crying. So, set your background noise or music that diverts your baby attention. Also, sing some soothing music by holding your child in different positions or place them in vibrating crib.
- Fennel, ginger, aloe vera, lemon balm, caraway, blackthorn, vegetable charcoal, etc. are some of the herbal remedies used for treating colic in babies. But be sure to consult your doctor before taking them to know the right dosage.
- Burp your infants to release the gas trapped in the intestine, especially after feeding your baby.
- Papaya, probiotic yogurt, garlic, ginger, fennel seeds, cumin or ajwain water, asafetida, etc. has to be included in the list of the nursing mother to avoid infant colic.
- Beans, coffee, dry fish or prawns, spicy dishes, milk or dairy products, certain vegetables, chicken, eggs, pulses, certain spices, nuts, citrus fruits, etc. should be excluded by the nursing mothers to prevent colic.
- Never ever shake your baby due to frustration and its best to give your baby to some other trusted adults or place your baby safely in a crib while suffering from colic.
- Try to lay your baby on their tummy for about 15 – 20 minutes daily. Also, hold your baby as upright as possible during the breastfeed to avoid gas trapping in their abdomen.
- Keep your baby in motion to get rid of colic cry and pain and also feed your baby as often as needed to stop the colic but don’t forget to burp them after feeding.
- If you didn’t observe any relief from these colic symptoms after few days, then consult the pediatrician to know the exact reason and treatment accordingly.
Follow these natural home remedies and tips for treating colic in your babies. Do you know any other remedies to treat baby colic? Then share it with us.