People who live in cold countries like Europe, America, and Australia are craving for certain things like sun rays or sunshine and a warm climate. So, here’s comes the huge demand for perfect tanning oil and coconut oil is very effective natural tanning oil.
Coming to sunscreens for a tan, as most of the sunscreens and sun blocks contain toxic chemicals like fragrances, alcohols, solvents, parabens and petroleum oils that irritate and damage the skin, especially if you’re having sensitive skin when exposed to sunlight.
Even the branded ones are also performing poor in protecting your skin against sun and melanoma. So, instead of using those harsh toxic sunscreens, try using natural coconut oil to tan and protect your skin from harmful sun rays.
Here are some of the benefits which you get from coconut oil and thus makes it as the best alternative to your sunscreens.
Your skin will lose the moisture and starts to crack and peel while it is burned by the sun. But if you apply coconut oil which has stable saturated fats that form a protective layer on the skin to reduce the loss of moisture. So, it retains the skin’s moisture, results in less peeling or drying and thus prevents your skin from being burned or cracked. It gives you a nice suntan but not sunburn.
Getting Faster Tan in Less Time under Sun:
Coconut oil quickly activates the melanin under the skin to create the tanned look in a shorter time. So, no need to spend much time in the sun, as you do when you apply sunscreen or sunblock. Tanning slowly is better for the skin and health but not spending 2 – 3 hours in the sun and getting that UV rays. Apply coconut oil on the skin and spend 20 minutes in the sun will provide a darker and healthier bronze.
Good Absorption of Natural Vitamin D:
Most of the sunscreens and sunblocks will block the skin’s ability to absorb the natural vitamin D. This sun vitamin is very essential for treating many skin and health problems like eczema. But the usage of coconut oil for tanning will allow the skin to absorb this natural D vitamin from those sun rays without harming the skin from UV rays.
Nourish Your Skin:
Besides providing a perfect bronze tan, this oil helps to nourish the skin, protects it from infections and makes it smooth and shiny. Coconut tanning oil has medium chain fatty acids like capric acid, lauric acid and caprylic acid along with vitamin E that provides essential nourishment to the skin.
Soothes and Conditions your Skin:
This tanning oil soothes the skin without causing any sunburn and also heals the skin from any possible inflammations that result from strong sun, allergenic particles, dust or environmental factors. It has an antioxidant property that protects the skin by preventing burning or oxidative damage which promotes skin cancer.
Whenever you’re spending hours by lying on a sea beach or an open ground then your skin gets exposed to various germs and microbes in those surroundings. But coconut oil has antimicrobial, antibacterial and antifungal properties that protect your skin from getting affected by the germs.
Don’t Have Harmful Chemicals:
It is natural oil that is free from toxic chemicals, smells great, cost affordable, easy to carry and protects your skin effectively from sun. It also contains SPF that protects the skin and even good to apply for dry or sensitive skin people.
How to use Coconut Oil for Tanning:
From the above information, you came to know that coconut oil is perfect for getting a bronze tan on your skin. Now, we are going to know how we use coconut oil for tanning which is light, non-sticky and long lasting.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil)
- Apply melted coconut oil on all over the body like you apply any sunscreen and sun tanning lotion.
- After thorough application, enjoy your sun rays in a beach or pool.
- Reapply coconut oil for every 10 – 15 minutes.
- Don’t stay in the direct sun for longer than 20 minutes at a time but take some breaks.
- Spending 15 – 20 minutes in the sun per day is all essential to get a deep brown tan and to soak up the adequate amount of vitamin D into the body.
Method – 2: (Coconut Dark Tanning Oil)
- Mix 2 teaspoons each of walnut oil, avocado oil and sesame oil, 5 – 10 drops each of coconut essential oil and vanilla essential oil in 1/4 cup of unrefined virgin coconut oil.
- Stir well and pour this oil mix in an airtight dark-colored glass container.
- Store the container and use it as your sunscreen while you go out for getting a perfect tan.
Note: Or mix 2 teaspoons of walnut oil and 1/4 cup of virgin coconut oil in 1/2 cup of brewed green tea. Store in a dark airtight container and use it regularly.
Method – 3: (Homemade Coconut Oil Tanning Lotion)
- In this process, coconut oil and lanolin oil acts as an emollient that adds moisture to the skin to prevent flaking and gives long lasting tan. Black tea acts as a natural dye that adds color to the skin and has antioxidants that fight against toxins which rise after tanning.
- Boil 3/4 cup of water and pour it in a mug.
- Place 3 black tea bags in that mug and let it brew for few minutes.
- Then add 1/4 cup each of coconut oil, lanolin oil and brewed black tea in a blender.
- Blend it well by adding remaining 1/2 cup of black tea.
- Stir well and store it in an airtight container.
- Apply this lotion while you step out into the sun for tanning.
Tips and Precautions:
- Although coconut oil doesn’t protect your skin 100% from those sun rays, so you should not stay out for too long in the sun.
- Always use organic, unrefined virgin coconut oil for any skin problems or tanning.
- Regular usage of coconut oil will not only give a tanned skin but also provides healthy and shiny skin along with protecting the skin from scorching sunlight, wrinkles, and infection.
- Some people use pure coconut oil or coconut oil mixed with certain herbs or essential oils or vitamins or other carrier oils and use it in tanning outside or tanning beds.
- Or mix some pure coconut oil with a waterproof sunscreen that has an SPF of 30 or higher and then apply it on the skin before you step out in the sun. Also, for best results, exfoliate your skin in the shower to remove dead skin and to allow the skin to tan evenly and quickly.
Did you get a dark bronze skin tan after using coconut oil? Let me know by sharing your experience.