Babies are so gentle with tender skin that makes the parents some difficult in choosing their baby products. The products must be chemical free and should have natural ingredients. So, the best choice is to use coconut oil.
Coconut oil is effectively used to treat various problems in your babies. It acts as a moisturizer that nourishes and soothes the skin of your babies without causing any irritation or itching. It has antibacterial and antiseptic properties that prevent your baby from getting any infection. It has an anti-inflammatory and other essential properties that soothe the skin and reduces any pain or redness or swelling on the skin.
How to use Coconut Oil for Babies:
Coconut oil is magical oil that protects your little ones from many problems. Regular usage of coconut oil will help the babies in many ways, some are listed below.
Coconut Oil as Baby Oil:
- Actually, the newborn babies don’t require any lotion, as they have vernix, a special coat on their skin to protect themselves from the new environment.
- The application of coconut oil for babies will help to protect their skin along with providing the essential nutrients, healthy fats and moisturizes to make their skin grow smooth and shiny.
- So, regularly use coconut oil as your baby oil.
For Diaper Rash:
- Use coconut oil for treating diaper rash in your babies rather than using chemical-based creams or oils.
- It effectively protects the baby’s bum and thus treats those rashes.
- Just apply some coconut oil on your baby’s bottom after the shower and spread the oil using your fingers. Let it dry before placing a diaper.
For Cradle Cap:
- Cradle cap is a fungal infection that affects the scalp of most of the infants but you can treat it at your home by simply using coconut oil.
- Coconut oil has anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties that prevent this fungal infection.
- It acts as an anti-inflammatory agent that soothes the inflamed and irritated area and thus provides the essential moisture (vitamin E) to loosen up the flakes and removes it completely from the scalp or skin.
- Apply some organic coconut oil on the cradle cap affected areas by massaging gently.
- Let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes and comb your hair to loosen the skin.
- Rinse their hair with mild shampoo and warm water and continue till they get rid of this cradle cap.
- Eczema is caused due to inheritance or weak immune system that makes the skin produce less oil. This reduces the skin’s ability to lock moisture and thus causes dryness, itching and irritation on the skin.
- Coconut oil has medium chain fatty acids and vitamin E that provides essential moisture and prevents itching, irritation, and flaking.
- Add few drops of organic coconut oil into your baby’s bath.
- Bath your baby with this water and dry the skin thoroughly.
- Then apply a thin layer of coconut oil on eczema affected areas.
- Let it dry and then wear clean and loose fitted clothing.
- Continue for 2 – 3 times daily throughout the day to get complete relief from the problem.
For Oral Thrush:
- Oral thrush is caused due to Candida in which both nursing mother and baby will be affected.
- Coconut oil helps to get rid of yeast thrush with its anti-fungal and antiseptic properties.
- Apply some coconut oil on the nipples and dab a little in your baby’s mouth.
- Continue doing the same process (especially before breast feeding) will give relief from oral thrush to you and your baby.
Coconut Oil in Baby Food:
- Coconut oil has hypoallergenic property and also contains medium chain fatty acids that help for proper digestion without any allergic reaction.
- It makes the child’s intestine to absorb the essential nutrients from the vegetables like leafy green, squash, pumpkin, carrots, etc.
- It is very essential at the initial days of eating food to your babies. All you need to do is to add some coconut oil in their food before feeding them.
For Healing Wounds (or Burns):
- Coconut oil has an antioxidant property that helps with the stimulation of collagen to heal the wounds. It has an anti-inflammatory property that relieves the pain caused due to wounds and also prevents scarring.
- Apply coconut oil on the place where your baby’s got wound.
- Massage gently and leave it on for few hours.
- Repeat its application daily till the wound / burns has healed completely.
As Head Lice Treatment:
- Head lice are easily caught by the babies but the usage of lice comb will scratch and hurt your baby’s scalp. Coconut oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties that control the spread of lice and prevent it completely.
- Rinse your baby’s hair with water diluted apple cider vinegar and let it dry naturally.
- Then apply organic coconut oil on their hair and cover it with a shower cap.
- Let it sit for few hours and comb the hair gently to remove dead lice along with its eggs.
- Finally, shampoo their hair and dry it completely. Repeat regularly.
For Baby Acne:
- Babies have sensitive skin that causes more of breakouts easily. Usage of any over the counter creams are not suggested on their skin.
- Applying coconut oil which has antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to get rid of acne and its scars.
- Apply a little of coconut oil on the acne affected areas and massage gently.
- Leave it on for few hours to overnight and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat daily to get quick relief from your baby acne.
To Remove Meconium:
- Meconium is a tar-like viscous thing that comes out from the baby’s bowel as their first bowel movement. It is very stubborn and can’t be removed easily from their skin.
- Coconut oil helps a lot in removing the meconium easily.
- Apply coconut oil on that area by using a cotton ball and remove it from the body.
As Baby Lotion or Baby Soap:
- Baby’s skin is sensitive and gets dried easily if don’t have proper moisturize but the usage of coconut oil, which acts as a perfect natural moisturizer will help to prevent dry skin along with providing essential nutrients and essential healthy fats to the body.
- Apply a little of organic coconut oil on your baby’s skin and massage gently.
- Prefer to apply oil after the bath as a moisturizer on the baby’s skin.
- Or use this coconut oil as baby soap by mixing equal parts of coconut oil and chemical free castile soap and water. Mix well and massage gently on baby skin to remove the dirt and wash off.
For Teething Pain:
- Teething is a stage that might start at an early of 5 months where your baby gets pain and irritable, which interrupt the regular feeding routine.
- Coconut oil, with its natural anti-inflammatory property and other essential nutrients help to soothe the pain and irritation caused due to teething problem.
- Dab a little of coconut oil gently on your baby’s gum.
- Or apply a little on your baby’s soothers or other teething toys that used to ease teething pains in your baby. This also helps to ensure that your baby is not at any risk of catching the infections into their mouth.
- Do it regularly till they feel relief from the teething problem.
For Proper Hair Growth:
- Baby’s hair might become frizzy or dry due to constant friction. So, regular application of coconut oil will definitely help to moisturize their hair and enhance proper growth.
- Apply coconut oil on their hair and massage gently for few minutes.
- Repeat it regularly to get rid of hair and scalp problems and to promote proper hair growth.
Types of Coconut Oil used for Babies:
Mainly there are 5 varieties of coconut oil available in the market that include…
Pure Coconut Oil: This oil is obtained from dried coconut flesh that was milled and crushed to extract the oil. It is the purest form of the oil.
Virgin Coconut Oil: This oil is obtained from the coconut milk but not from the dried coconut meat. It is not heated during extraction, so it retains the antioxidants and other helpful coconut oil properties with it.
Organic Coconut Oil: This oil has been extracted from coconut palms, which has grown without using any chemical fertilizers and by only natural mature. It is also extracted without any chemical content.
Refined Coconut Oil: This oil is obtained through the process of refining, bleaching and deodorization. It means it has chemical and mechanical processes that make it odorless and colorless.
Organic Virgin Coconut Oil: This oil has been extracted from organically grown coconuts without using any chemicals in its extraction or processing.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always it’s recommended to use pure and natural coconut oil that has no harsh chemicals or smells for using on your babies.
- Coconut oil is also used for treating chickenpox and its scars, Keratosis Pilaris (or chicken skin), ear infection, dry skin and also heals bumps, cuts and burns on the skin.
- Regular massage with coconut oil on your baby’s skin will help them to get rid of many skin and health problems along with getting well moisturize to the skin.
- Many studies have stated that regular usage of coconut oil helps a lot in reducing the symptoms of autism.
- Coconut oil can also be used as baby’s toothpaste. Simply dab a little oil on your baby’s gums and massage gently. Do this when your baby gets their first tooth.
- Even coconut oil is used for treating insect bite areas in your baby. Dab a little of coconut oil on the areas where there are insect bites to get relief from pain, redness, and swelling.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t find any relief from the problem for proper diagnose and treatment as per it.
- Coconut oil results in allergic reactions in very rare cases and if you find any rashes or allergic reaction in your baby after applying coconut oil, then avoid using the oil and consult your doctor.
These are some of the best ways to treat your baby’s problem. Try them and share your experience with us.