Blackheads (open comedones) are small bumps that occur when the hair follicles get clogged with oil, dead skin cells and impurities, which accumulates in the opening of the skin pores. Here the skin over the bumps are exposed to air and gets oxidized to make them appear in black color.
It affects everyone at any age but the teenage and adolescent people are more prone to this problem due to their hormonal fluctuations and excessive usage of cosmetic products. It appears commonly on nose, chin, face, arms, neck, chest, shoulders and back of the body.
Usage of cosmetic products or squeezing them is not the best idea to eliminate it (as they lead to scars). All you need to do is to follow some simple natural home remedies for treating this acne form.
Home Remedies for Blackheads:
Here are the best ways to treat blackheads which not only cleanse the skin pores but also eliminate the harmful microbes and prevents forming spots.
Remedy – 1: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda exfoliates the skin to clear excess oil, dead cells and impurities to unclog the skin pores. It fights against the microbes causing blackheads and neutralizes the pH of your skin to produce less oil and thereby clear blackheads. Regular usage of baking soda will leave your skin soft, smooth and blackheads free.
Click here to know more about Baking Soda for Blackheads.
Remedy – 2: (Lemon Juice)
Lemon juice has alpha hydroxy acids (AHA), a form of citric acid that removes dead skin cells and other impurities on the skin’s surface. It has a natural astringent property that closes the open skin pores and prevents the formation of blackheads.
It is enriched with vitamin C and other essential nutrients along with antioxidant property that combats the action of free radicals and thereby stimulates the production of collagen to clear blackheads and scars.
Know More about How Lemon Treat Blackheads
Remedy – 3: (Honey)
Honey is sticky in nature that helps a lot in pulling out the dirt, dead cells and excess sebum along with blackheads from the skin’s surface. It has natural antibacterial, antioxidant and skin soothing properties that destroy the germs clogging skin pores.
It tightens the skin and hydrates the skin pores to make your skin free from blackheads. Make sure to know whether you’re allergic or sensitivity to honey before using it.
Read more about How Honey Clears Blackheads
Remedy – 4: (Egg White)
Egg white has the ability to minimize the skin pores and tighten the skin. It also absorbs excess oil and thereby prevents the recurrence of blackheads. It is enriched with proteins and nutrients that offer skin toning properties that draw out the gunk stuck deep within the pores.
Check out to know more about Egg White for Blackheads
Remedy – 5: (Epsom Salt)
Epsom salt acts as a natural exfoliating agent that removes dirt, dead skin cells and other impurities which clog skin pores and causes blackheads. Magnesium sulfate prevents the formation of these bumps and makes the skin free from infections.
Read on to know about Epsom Salt for Blackheads
Remedy – 6: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has acetic and malic acid that break down the buildup on your skin. It exhibits antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that prevent microbes, soothes and cleanse the skin.
It also balances the pH levels of the skin to reduce the production of excess oil and also acts as a perfect toner to get relief from blackheads.
Read on to know more about Apple Cider Vinegar for treating Blackheads
Remedy – 7: (Face Masks)
Face mask helps to rejuvenate and balance the pH of the skin which in turn helps to prevent blackheads. For best results always steam your face for few minutes before applying the face mask, as it opens the clogged skin pores.
Learn more about DIY Face Masks for Blackheads
Some Other Effective Remedies:
- Cinnamon has an antibacterial property that prevents germs causing blackheads. It also improves blood circulation and tightens the skin pores. Mix equal quantities of cinnamon powder and lemon juice (or honey) and apply it on the blackheads. Rinse off with water after 15 – 20 minutes. Repeat daily.
- Oatmeal works as a gentle natural cleanser and exfoliant that prevent blackheads. Mix 1 teaspoon of honey and juice of 4 tomatoes in oatmeal powder. Stir to make a paste and use it to scrub the skin. Rinse off after 10 minutes. (OR) apply a face mask by mixing 2 tablespoons of oatmeal, 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt and small amounts of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Turmeric offers antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that treat blackheads effectively. Mix 2 tablespoons of fresh mint juice in 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder. Apply this paste on the blackheads and rinse off with lukewarm water after 10 – 15 minutes. Do it once a week.
- Fenugreek has powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and emollient properties that clear blackheads effectively. Make a thick paste by crushing fenugreek leaves with some water. Apply it on the affected area and rinse off with lukewarm water after 10 – 15 minutes.
Tips and Precautions:
- Regular follow-up of the skin care regimen like cleansing, exfoliating, toning and moisturizing will help to keep the skin problem free.
- Always be sure to rinse the skin with warm water and then splash with cold water to close the pores.
- Rinse your face and neck thoroughly at night before going to sleep to remove makeup and thereby to prevent acne and its forms.
- Drink plenty of water, exercise regularly, consume a healthy diet and avoid the intake of oily, fatty or processed fast foods to get relief from the blackheads.
- Avoid picking or popping the blackheads with your fingers, as it worsens the problem by making the dirt or bacteria get into the skin pores.
- Consult your dermatologist if your symptoms persist, for proper diagnose and treatment to get relief from blackheads.
Have you tried any of these methods? Do you know any other methods to treat Blackheads? Share your experience with us!