Humidifiers have become one of the must-have appliances to prevent allergy flare-ups. Because humidity levels in the air can help you avoid asthma flare-ups.
As per the experts, the ideal humidity level of your home should be between 30% – 50%. The air is below 30% then the dry air can irritate the nerves in lungs leading to inflammation and breathing restriction. A humidifier is the perfect way to increase the moisture level in the air.
Once you have decided to purchase a humidifier, you might have got confused after seeing so many options available in the market. So, in order to solve your problem, our expert’s team has done the research and narrowed down the options.
Best Humidifiers For Asthma: 2017 Review
|Asthma Humidifiers||Capacity||Type||Buy Now|
|Levoit||6 liters||Vaporizer||Check the Price|
|TaoTronics||4 liters||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|OPOLAR Digital||1 gallon||Vaporizer||Check the Price|
|Anypro||3.5 liters||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|Aennon||2.8 liters||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|Signtek||3.5 liters||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|Crane Drop||1 gallon||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|Wesuco||400 ml||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|Kizen||500 ml||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
|Adorable Kitty Crane||1 gallon||Ultrasonic||Check the Price|
Among the above top 10 products, “Levoit Humidifier Vaporizer” has taken the first position because of its features and efficiency. Though it may be a little pricey, it is all worthy for every penny.
Quick Note: If you want to know the factors we considered while choosing the best then you can read them here…
Levoit humidifier vaporizer is taken the first position in our list due to its amazing features and leak proof design. It has the capacity of increasing the humidity levels 25% quicker than other devices that use only cool mist.
This product can provide both warm and cool mist at three different levels. You can choose any of them and its levels through the sensitive touch control panel.
Apart from sensitive touch control panel, you can also operate the product using a remote control. The digital console displays the accurate humidity levels present in the room which helps to set the comfortable humidity levels based on the environment.
The most amazing feature of this product is the smart auto-mode option. This feature will adjust the diffusing mist based on the humidity levels present in the surrounding environment.
It has 6 liters of capacity which allows 20 – 36 hours of continuous usage. It covers up to 280 sqft which makes it comfortable for bedroom, living rooms and office.
The product is developed to be whisper-quite which states that ultrasonic air diffusion will produce less than 36dB for a quite humidification.
- 6 liter capacity and 280 sqft range.
- Dual 360 degree nozzles.
- Hybrid warm and cool mist.
- 2 years warranty and lifetime support.
- Timing control and intuitive manual setup.
- Customizable humidity and auto-mode.
- Quite aromatherapy operation.
- Can be used as aroma diffuser also.
- The light from the digital console can be a bit irritating when you sleep.
If you are looking for a humidifier that provides odorless and pure air mist then TaoTronics cool mist humidifier has to be your choice. The microporous cartridge present in this product thoroughly filters water and removes microorganisms.
Its 4 liters water capacity provides over a half day of adjustable humidification that will last into the night. It has an amazing feature of adjustable vapor for multiple needs. You can set the humidity level and mist flow for rooms up to 66 – 88 ft².
The humidity levels achieved by this humidifier not only provides safe breath but also combats dry skin, wrinkles, mildew and winter cold.
Additional features of this product include built-timer, sleep mode, intuitive LED display and 360 degree rotatable nozzle for uniform distribution.
- Affordable priced.
- Microporous cartridge that removes microorganisms.
- 4 liters capacity.
- Ultra-silent (less than 38 db).
- Perfect for older people and children.
- Great for winters or in air conditioned rooms.
- Cannot be used as aroma diffuser. Adding essential oils is not recommended.
Are you looking for humidifier that produces tons of mists without leaving the floor or tablet wet? Then Opolar digital humidifier has to be your choice.
It has the large mist volume than other humidifiers available in the market. The twin nozzle is capable of producing mist independently with uniform vaporization. A maximum of 320ml of mist per hour is released throughout the large space of 300 – 500 ft².
On the digital console, you can directly tell the current humidity levels and set the most comfortable level according to the surrounding environment. It helps you to avoid scratchy throats, dry skin, static electricity and irritating nose.
The touch sensitive LED display and built-in features makes it easy to operate the product. Its common features include: timer mode, water shortage warning, sleep mode and present humidity levels.
Due to its vast capacity of 1.2 gallon, it can run from 14 – 37 hours per filling. It is perfect for kids, office, living and nursery rooms. Its contemporary minimalistic design and matter black finish blends well in any décor whether it is your bedroom or living room.
- Internal permanent filter (removes bacteria and bad odor)
- Noise free humidifier.
- Easy touch switch control panel.
- Water shortage warning.
- 5 liters or 1.2 gallons capacity.
- Auto-shut off function
- Ideal for any room in the house, particularly baby nursery room.
- No water indicators.
Enjoy fresh and clean air mist with Anypro Mist humidifier. Its amazing built-in antibacterial material keeps away the mold growth. It helps to keep our respiratory functions and skin healthy all night and day.
This compact and powerful humidifier with smart features ensures perfect coverage in dry areas of your office and home. It is capable of humidifying air in rooms up to 538 sq ft.
With smart humidification technology, it can typically run 20 – 36 hours continuously depending on the mist control setting. You can adjust the vapor to any level with a dial knob control. You can change the humidify levels with 360 degree adjustable mist spray.
The deep groove design it has will prevent easy leakage. Its design is also tested for crushing resistance. The antibacterial material that is used in the water tank will suppress the mold growth.
Different light settings like red, purple, blue, green, pink and yellow are present, from which you can select one to enhance your mood and space.
- Customer oriented enterprise.
- Smart humidification technology.
- Adjustable humidity control.
- Leakage and crush resistant.
- Antibacterial material.
- Super quite operation.
- Filter free and adjustable mist.
- Weekly maintenance is required for better working.
- Adding oils can lead to crack or leakage.
If you want clean and fresh air that moistens your airways and soothes you mood then “Aennon cool mist humidifier has to be your choice.
It runs whole night without needing to refill the water multiple times. It creates a calming and comforting experience which improves the quality of focus and sleep.
It can also be used as a nebulizer, aroma diffuser, ionizer and moisturizer. It has 2.8 liters of capacity which permits almost 10 hours of continuous usage. It automatically shuts down as the water reservoir is empty.
Its whisper quite operation will not interfere with your sleep and work. It is completely safe to use either day or night. It does not get overheated.
It has a unique stylish design which perfectly blends with any décor. The cozy built-in 7 color LED night light will create calming and comforting atmosphere. You can either set your favorite color or choose auto color flow.
- 8 liter capacity and 10hours+ usage.
- Auto-shut off feature.
- Whisper quite feature.
- 7 color LED lights and unique stylish design.
- ETL safety approved.
- Not good for large rooms.
Signtek ultrasonic cool mist humidifier increases and regulates relative humidity of the room efficiently. Its high quality transducer provides a guaranteed long lasting and satisfactory functioning capability.
The ceramic filter present in it, purifies the water and releases abundant anions which regulates the humidity perfectly. With 3.5 liters of capacity, it is effective in providing coverage for large bedrooms, office rooms and other rooms.
It has 360 degree mist nozzle which makes it easy to adjust the mist direction. Its mist intensify adjustment helps to control the speed as per your comfort level. It lasts up to 10 hours of continuous operation.
- Noiseless and energy saving.
- Ceramic filter with water protection.
- Easy to refill water into the water tank.
- Mist intensity adjustment.
- Guaranteed long lasting and satisfactory functioning.
- Automatic protection when the water tank is empty.
- The plastic used was not so durable.
If you looking for a humidifier that increases moisture in the air, eases the breathing and good night’s sleep then Crane USA Humidifier should be your choice. It is a perfect solution for low humidity related problems like cough, cold, flu, nasal congestion, sinus irritation, dry skin, nose bleeds and others.
As it does not contain any heating element, it is perfect and safest for newborns and young children. It produces fine mist particles that are very cool to touch.
The crane drop humidifiers are not only stylish but also easy to operate and whisper silent. It contains an antimicrobial material in the base which helps to eliminate bacteria and mold growth by 99.96%.
The built-in auto-shut-off feature helps to stop the operation of the product when the tank is almost empty. This product doesn’t have any filter. But for home with hard water supply, demineralization filters should be purchased and placed in the unit.
- Humidifies up to 500 sqft for easier breathing.
- Anti-microbial material.
- 1 gallon capacity.
- Runs whisper quite.
- 360 degree lid.
- Auto-off activates when the tank empties.
- No filter required.
- The cord is a little shorter.
- Need to be handled very carefully.
Want to release tension and stress with amazing aroma and humidifying therapy then it’s time to purchase Wesuco oil 4 in 1 diffuser and humidifier.
This product is equipped with amazing features like air purifier, negative ionizer, nebulizer, and filter free humidifier. It effectively increases the negative ions in the atmosphere which instantly cleans and purifies the air.
By producing cool mist, it will improve your sleeping conditions which helps you take restful and peaceful sleep every time. The electric nebulizer will effectively vaporize the relaxing scent of essential oils without using heat.
On a 30 second interval mode, it can work for 16 – 20 hours. On a continuous mode without interval, it can work up to 10 hours or until the tank is empty.
Its elegant and stylish design will blend into any home décor. It also boosts 7 mesmerizing color changing LED’s which will softly illuminate the spaces and enhances the calming atmosphere.
- Non-toxic, BPA Free PP/ABS material ensures 100% safety.
- 7 mesmerizing color changing LED’s.
- Can set the product on your preferred mode.
- Improves quality of sleep and breathe.
- 4 in 1 – air purifier, negative ionizer, filter free humidifier and nebulizer.
- Great addition to bedroom or office room décor.
- Long lasting durability.
- Ideal for releasing stress and tension.
- Nothing much
- Make sure to water levels doesn’t exceed the max line.
- Add only water soluble essential oils.
The multifunctional capability, elegant design, and ultrasonic technology makes Kizen Ultrasonic Aromatherapy is an amazing product. It is a 4 in 1 product – aromatherapy, humidifier, air purifier and ionizer.
The uniquely created glass dome of this humidifier provides a calming and relaxing ambiance. You can also choose between a wide full spectrum of changing lights or your favorite color.
It makes a memorizing nightlight, elegant decorative piece, calming presence and conversation starter. It uses high frequency vibrations instead of heat to diffuse the oil and mist into the air. As the oils are not burned, you can get the benefits of medicinal properties present in the essential oil.
This product can be controlled by an APP in your mobile. The mobile APP contains a vast array of options which are not available in older generation diffusers.
It produces negative ions as small as 0.01 microns which can combat positive ion pollutants like fine dust, allergens and bacteria.
- Multifunction (4 in 1).
- Ultrasonic technology.
- Elegant design with glass crafter dome.
- Can be controlled through mobile APP.
- Improves air quality by producing negative ions.
- It can be an elegant decorative piece in your bedroom and offices.
- Only water based essential oils should be used.
- It can sometime be loud.
Crane Hello Kitty Humidifier is more than adorable and fun to look at piece. The ultrasonic cool mist increases the humidity levels in the air for easier breathing and good night’s sleep.
It has an auto-shut off sensor which switches off the product when the water level is very low. The anti-microbial material used in this product effectively reduces the mold and bacteria growth by 99.96%.
The removable water tank fits under the bathroom sinks which are easy for filling. It runs very quiet for up to 24 hours. It doesn’t contain any filter and has the capability of 1 gallon.
- BPA free unit.
- 1 year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Whisper-quite operation.
- Prevents 99.96% bacterial growth.
- No filter required.
- 360 degree lid.
- Built-in auto-off feature.
- Maintenance is pretty high and time consuming.
How to Select the Right Humidifier for Asthma
There are several things you have to consider while selecting a humidifier. We have listed them below for your convenience…
1. Different Types of Humidifiers
There are basically three types of humidifiers – ultrasonic, air washer and evaporative.
- Ultrasonic Humidifiers: The working technique of this product is based on a diaphragm which vibrates at a high frequency in order to produce the mist. The fan will blow the mist into the air and mist will evaporate almost immediately. It works very gently without producing any noise. Additional advantage of this type of humidifier is that it saves energy.
- Air Washer Humidifiers: This type of humidifier can purify and humidify as well. With the help of fan and rotating discs, it will remove the dirt and impurities present in the air. As it is self-regulating and user-friendly, it is very easy to maintain.
- Evaporative: A pad or filter wick is present in this type of humidifier which absorbs the water. The fan will blow the invisible mist into the air. As this type of humidifiers are self-regulating, they raise the humidity very quickly. Regular cleaning is very important as the stagnant water can become breeding ground for bacteria. The filter is a bit costly and makes noise while operating.
2. Cool Mist or Warm Mist
- Cool Mist Humidifier: Ultrasonic, evaporative and impeller type of humidifiers contain these type of mist expellers. Usually they work on different principles. Impeller humidifiers use rotating disks to produce cool mist. Evaporative models uses a fan in order to blow the air over a wet wick. Ultrasonic machines use nebulizer to generate watery mist.
- Warm Mist humidifier: In this type, the water is first boiled and the steam is blown into the air. The filters of this type are very cheap and easy to replace. However, they take money and more time for maintenance. Another disadvantage of this type is that you will have a risk of burns due to hot steam.
Humidifiers come in three different sizes – Portable, room and whole house. The right size for you depends on your requirements.
- Portable humidifiers: They are also called as tabletop humidifiers. If you are looking out to humidify a room or small space like cozy office then this type of humidifiers work well. They are also very convenient for people who travel frequently. Ultrasonic cool humidifiers come under this size.
- Room humidifiers: These are usually large in size and cover up multiple rooms of 650 – 1200 sqft. Ultrasonic warm and cool humidifiers, air washer and evaporative cool mist humidifiers come under this size category.
- Whole house humidifier: This type of humidifiers are best for humidifying a whole house with open door ways. They can work for spaces up to 1000 feet or more. They usually require less amount of water for refilling but are a little difficult to operate and maintain.
If you are using the humidifier in your bedroom or office room then noise is one of the important factors you have to consider. You have to make sure it doesn’t create noise that disturbs your sleep or work. If it is for your baby’s room then it can be a major factor.
Maintenance requirement is also a major factor while choosing a humidifier. Some of the humidifiers may require only less cleaning like just rising with normal water. However, some of them require a cleaning with special chemicals and processes. So, it is very important to make sure the maintenance doesn’t disturb your schedule if you are a busy person.
6. Other Important Factors
- User-friendliness of a product is very important. Choose a humidifier that displays humidity levels and has other features for controlling the levels.
- The parts of the product should be easy to open, clean and move.
- Make sure the product has a humidistat as it helps to shut off the humidifier once the humidity levels are achieved. Condensation can form if the humidity levels raise too much.
Tips to Keep the Humidifiers Clean
There is always a risk of humidifiers getting mold, bacteria and fungi. By following certain tips, you can get relieve from these microorganisms.
- It is better to use distilled and demineralized water. Normal tap water should be avoided as they can create deposits inside the humidifier which promote bacterial growth. These deposits can be released into the air as white dust on the furniture. Sometimes, you can breathe these deposits present in the air. Whereas distilled and demineralized water has a much lower mineral content. If the manufacturer recommends usage of demineralized cartridges or filters then you have to get installed them.
- Make sure to change the humidifier water as often as possible. Never allow deposits or film to develop into the humidifiers. It is better to empty the tank, dry it completely and refill them with clean water daily if possible. If you are using cool mist or ultrasonic humidifiers then it is better unplug before adding water.
- Clean the humidifiers at least once in 3 days to avoid film or deposit buildup. You can use a 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution to clean the humidifier. Some manufacturers even recommend using disinfectants or chlorine for cleaning the humidifier.
- In order to keep the harmful chemicals from becoming air-borne, we recommend to rinse the tank after cleaning.
- Make sure the area around the humidifiers dry. If the area that include windows, carpets, tablecloths or drapes are wet then it is better to turn down the humidifier.
- If you are using central humidifiers then make sure to follow the instructions. If not, it is better to ask the heating or cooling specialist about proper maintenance.
- Before storing the humidifiers, make sure to drain or clean them. When you start to reuse them again then clean them again before using. Make sure to throw away the filters, cassettes or cartridges.
- Overtime, if used regularly then humidifiers can build-up deposits which become impossible to remove. It may also encourage the growth of bacteria so it is better to replace the old humidifiers.
- If your humidifier has a filter then make sure to change it often or as per the manufacturer’s guidance.
Few Words before Concluding…
If you or your child has asthma or allergies then talk to your doctor before using a humidifier. Increased humidity can be helpful in easing breathing in children and adults. However the dirty mist or increase in allergens can worsen respiratory problems.
So, you have to be very attentive while using a humidifier. You have to clean and maintain it perfectly in order to achieve good results.
For any queries or concerns, write to us in the comment section below. Our team of experts will answer to them as soon as possible.