Abdominal bloating is caused due to the buildup of gas in the small intestine and that makes you feel full and tight in the stomach. Bloating and gas not only makes you feel full in stomach but also causes cramps, diarrhea, difficulty in breath, belching, etc.
Overeating, constipation, peptic ulcers, smoking, water retention, trapped air, indigestion, etc. are some of the causes for the abdominal bloating. Passing stomach gas and a regular bowel movement is the best way to relieve from bloating. There are many natural remedies used for clearing the stomach gas and thereby bloating.
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is one such amazing home based natural remedy used for treating bloating. Here are some of its properties that make you know how it works for clearing stomach bloating.
- It acts as an antacid that relieves you from indigestion, acid reflux, etc. by neutralizing the excess stomach acid.
- It reacts with hydrochloric acid in the stomach and thus forms a combination of sodium chloride, carbon dioxide and water that in turn eases for proper digestion and clears the stomach gas and bloating.
- Baking soda when mixed with water, releases the antacid, alkalinity and antiseptic that in turn eases the intestinal and digestive issues.
Intestinal gas and bloating are quite embarrassing. So to get rid of this problem, you have to follow these 2 best methods of using baking soda to prevent gas and bloating.
Method – 1: (Baking Soda with Warm Water)
This is one of the easy and best processes that give quick relief from gas and bloating. When baking soda mixed with water then it helps in carbonation and thus reduces the feel of bloating by burping.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 glass of warm water.
- Stir well and drink this mix to get quick relief from the problem.
- Regular intake of this mix will definitely help you in clearing abdominal gas and bloating.
Method – 2: (Baking Soda with Lemon)
This process neutralizes the gas by having proper digestion of food and thus treats bloating and other stomach related problems.
Steps to be followed…
- Squeeze 1 fresh lemon in a glass and add 1/2 glass of water in it.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of baking soda in this water and stir well.
- Now add more water to the glass and mix it until it stops fizzing.
- Drink it slowly to get relief from the problem.
- Continue drinking it whenever you suffer from stomach gas and abdominal bloating.
- Or mix 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to 1 cup of cool water. Stir well and drink it after meals to get control over bloating.
- Also, mix a little of apple cider vinegar in the above mix to alleviate the digestion by balancing the pH balance of the body which is crucial for overall health and longevity.
- Alternatively, mix 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of baking soda, juice of 1/2 a lemon and a pinch of salt in 1 glass of warm water. Stir well and drink this to get relief from bloating and other abdominal problems.
Tips and Precautions:
- Sodium content in baking soda may raise the blood pressure which is the main cause for hypertension. So, avoid using baking soda if you’re on a sodium restricted diet.
- It might interact with certain medications and drugs, so consult your doctor before using it for getting rid of stomach bloating.
- Never ever drink baking soda mix on an overly full stomach. Also, children and pregnant women should not take this baking soda without consulting your doctor.
- However occasional gas, indigestion and bloating are common but chronic bloating and stomach upset may indicate the presence of any underlying medical conditions like IBS, celiac disease, etc. then consult your doctor immediately for treatment.
- Remember that too much usage of baking soda can lead to some serious side effects like heart problems, nausea, etc.
Avoid taking any antacids while using baking soda for treating the stomach or intestinal problems.
- Always use best quality baking soda and also use baking soda in any supplement forms like tablets or any extract for treating bloating.
- Stay hydrated, avoid over eating or eating too fast, chewing gums, quit smoking, have some regular exercises, sufficient sleep, etc. will help to prevent the recurrence of stomach bloating.
Try using these baking soda methods for relieving the uncomfortable pressure or feeling of fullness in your stomach. Feel free to share your experience with us.