Both parents and babies will suffer a lot while the baby is having a cold and cough why because there is nothing we can do to help them to get rid of the problem. Although there are many natural home remedies that work effectively in treating your baby’s cold, the only drawback is that you should take the advice of pediatrician before using these remedies and also we don’t know how they body react to these remedies.
Congested or a runny nose, sneezing, nasal discharge, coughing, sore throat, difficulty in sleeping and breathing, irritability, loss of appetite, red eyes, restlessness, fever, etc. are some symptoms experienced by the baby suffering from a cold.
Home Remedies for Baby Cold:
The Mother Nature has given so many medicines to treat various health and beauty problems, including the remedies for cold and cough of your baby. Here in this article, we came to know some amazing natural remedies, which are used as a first aid to treat your baby cold at home and make them feel better.
Remedy – 1: (Steamy Air)
Inhaling moist air will definitely help your baby to loosen the mucus in their nasal passage. So, run a humidifier or cool mist vaporizer in the bedroom where your baby is sleeping.
Here are few ways of inhaling the moist air to get rid of a baby cold.
- Run a humidifier or cool mist vaporizer in the child bedroom.
- Give a warm bath in a steamy bathroom to your baby.
- For baby above 2 years, pour few drops of menthol oil in the bath tub.
- If your baby is suffering from fever or if it’s not the correct time to give bath that simply pour hot water in the bathtub and close the doors of the bathroom and get steam for 15 minutes.
- Or simply place a warm cloth (soaked in warm water) on the baby’s chest, forehead and back to reduce the body temperature and to clear the mucus from the chest congestion.
Remedy – 2: (Saline Drops and Bulb Syringes)
To clear the mucus and congestion from the nasal passage and to get rid of cold, you have to use saline drops and bulb syringes.
- Pour 2 – 3 saline drops into your baby nose by laying down the baby with a rolled up towel to support their head.
- Then remove the air from the bulb syringe by applying pressure and place it on one nostril and close the other with your clean finger.
- Now slowly release pressure from the syringe to remove the mucus and to clean your baby nostril.
- Squeeze the bulb syringe to expel the mucus into the tissue and clean it.
- Repeat the same to another nostril to clear the mucus and thereby relieves your baby cold.
- Continue this process whenever your baby gets cold and cough.
Note: Or use a neti pot to clear baby cold for those who are above 4 years old with proper supervision.
Remedy – 3: (Fluids and Warm Liquids)
Cold and cough will cause dehydration and thicken the mucus. So, drink plenty of water and other fluids to stay hydrated and flushes out the mucus (thins it) from the kid nasal secretions.
Here are few ways of taking fluids and warm liquids to get rid of your baby cold.
- The intake of fruit smoothies, ice pops (prepared with pure juice) and other healthy beverages to your baby above 6 months will make them stay hydrated.
- Warm liquids like chicken soups will clear congestion and gives relief from cold symptoms. Serve warm chicken soup and other warm drinks like herbal teas (for baby above 6 months) to get rid of the problem.
- Breast milk has rich content of antibiotic property that helps the baby to fight against the microbial infections. So, breastfeed the baby as much as possible rather than giving formula milk to get rid of cold.
Remedy – 4: (Vapor Rubs)
Vapor helps to give relief from the mucus and expel it. Commercial vapor rubs have petroleum, oils, and eucalyptus which we can apply to babies from 3 months onwards.
- Apply enough vapor rub on the baby’s chest, back, and neck.
- Massage it gently for few minutes.
- But avoid applying vapor rub on the sensitive or broken skin or on the face of your baby.
- Prefer to apply it at night before bedtime to get sound sleep. Repeat it regularly till your baby gets relief from cold and cough.
Remedy – 5: (Coconut Oil)
The lauric acid in coconut oil has antimicrobial fatty acid that helps a lot in strengthening the immune system.
- Simply pour few drops of virgin coconut oil (melted) around the baby’s nostrils.
- Make sure that not to place the oil in their nose.
- Or massage the baby’s chest or forehead with the warm coconut oil.
Note: Or simply consume 1 teaspoon of coconut oil per day to boost your baby’s immune system.
Remedy – 6: (Honey)
Honey has soothing, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that coat and soothe the throat and thereby reduce the cold and cough. Never ever give honey to your baby, less than 1 year.
- Give 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of raw honey to your baby directly.
- Continue the intake of this honey to soothe the cold and cough.
- For best results, you can mix honey and some fresh lemon juice in warm water and consume it.
Remedy – 7: (Turmeric Milk)
Turmeric has antiseptic properties that help a lot in treating viral infections like cold, flu and cough. Milk has rich content of calcium and provides instant energy to your kid.
- Stir 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric in 1 glass of warm milk.
- Feed this warm milk to your baby at night before bedtime.
- Regular intake of this turmeric milk will give instant relief from the aching throat and runny nose.
Tips and Precautions:
- Place an additional towel or pillow under your baby head to elevate the head while sleeping. But be sure that not to overdo it. This method is effective to the children only above 1 year of age.
- Teach your baby (above 2 years) on how to blow their nose using a tissue to clear the mucus and make them breathe smoothly and feel comfortable while sleeping. Make sure that not to over blow their nose, as this damages the ears or eardrums.
- Also, tell them to wash their hands after blowing to get rid of the spread of microbes.
- Gargling with salt water (1 teaspoon of salt in 1 glass of hot water) will help to ease a sore throat for twice daily.
- Always rinse your hands before and after feeding your baby and keep the baby away from the ill people.
- Clean the baby toys and the surrounding areas and cover the baby with a light sheet.
- Use nosefrida to remove the mucus with an aspirator and consult the doctor for proper medications to treat a baby cold.
- Carry the baby in upright to drain out the mucus and to make them feel better.
- Never ever give aspirin to the babies and call a doctor immediately if your baby starts rubbing at the ears or cries while sucking during the feed for proper diagnoses.
- For getting relief, apply petroleum jelly to the baby’s outside nose to prevent the irritation and itching.
- Intake of chamomile tea, lemon water, okra water, cinnamon tea, etc. will help to get complete relief from the cold.
- Massaging the child with garlic mixed mustard oil on the chest, back and neck area and also cover the baby’s palm and feet with this oil for a quick relief.
Try these natural ways to get rid of your baby cold. Do you know any other successful remedies to treat a baby cold at home? Then share it with us in the below comments box.